Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, we need a second GT class for higher/lower performance cars and engines 19 30.65%
No, LMGTE just needs some serious fixing; change engine regulations, loose things up, reduce BoP etc 30 48.39%
No, LMGTE is fine as it is and there are no underlying problems (or fery few of them) 7 11.29%
I don't really care as long as the racing is good 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jul 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3112560)   #26
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But then what will you have to complain about and use for an excuse when your precious pony cart gets beaten?!?
Old 28 Jul 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3112569)   #27
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
But then what will you have to complain about and use for an excuse when your precious pony cart gets beaten?!?
drivers, tires, teams never underestimate the ability of a diluted man to make up excuses
P.S. never gonna happen though...
P.S.S. Let me answer that with a question, What will you?
Old 28 Jul 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3112575)   #28
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Only excuses I've been able to make have been "we screwed up", "we crashed", etc not "OH THE DAMN RULES!"
Old 28 Jul 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3112602)   #29
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Only excuses I've been able to make have been "we screwed up", "we crashed", etc not "OH THE DAMN RULES!"
easy to do since the rules have been favorable to you
Old 28 Jul 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3112603)   #30
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Oh god not this crap again....
Old 28 Jul 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3112742)   #31
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
There's too little entries and models, so I wouldn't split LMGT. The Pandamesque proposal is interesting, until cars start to bang each other. Then, heavier cars get an unfair advantage. So I'd keep one class only.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3112980)   #32
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'd actually go for three classes:

GTX: Start with a production shell, then go nuts. Any engine from a manufacturers range is good, reposition it however you like and do whatever you want with your suspension pick up points. I.e. built RACECARS and no whatsoever BoP.

GTO: Closer to production, no waivers of any kind, for cars over 4 litres of displacement

GTU: The counterpart to GTO, for cars under 4 liters.

With a X-class format, guys like BMW can compete for top-GT honors, but everybody will know that these cars have very little in common with the street cars. The O and U classes would be a real test for roadcars.
As usual, I like your idea a lot Speedy. Only change I'd consider is to make the GTO limit more like 5.0 or 5.5L. Of course, with the current trend of smaller, forced induction motors that would thin out the top class pretty good.

If Sebring kicked of an IMSA season with those three classes as the only cars on track, I'd be very enthused so long as a goodly number of teams had picked up the challenge.

Chris
Old 29 Jul 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3112990)   #33
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that the basic GTE base is good... like the Pro-Am format too! but you have to cut costs... GTE are way too expensive to run for a privateer in this kind of racing, you need higher mileage for the engine, less electronics and maybe some performance with less weight/more power to attract people from GT3, let's be honest, GTE's real problem is BES and all the GT3 series, that's where all the Am guys are.

You need to find why they decided to switch to GT3 but i think the main reason was "same fun, less money"
Old 1 Aug 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3114526)   #34
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JAF asked ACO if they could let GT500 cars race at Le Mans in garage 56. So actually, if DTM and Super-GT tech reg do merge as they seem to be on track to do so, then the new DTM/Super GT type cars should be a ready made class for Le Mans.

They are slower than LMP2 and faster than GTE as far as I know and with six manufacturers there won't be a lack of available cars.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3114683)   #35
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
JAF asked ACO if they could let GT500 cars race at Le Mans in garage 56. So actually, if DTM and Super-GT tech reg do merge as they seem to be on track to do so, then the new DTM/Super GT type cars should be a ready made class for Le Mans.

They are slower than LMP2 and faster than GTE as far as I know and with six manufacturers there won't be a lack of available cars.
And Corvette Racing and SRT Viper Team will complain of being beaten by GT500/DTM cars... Man, if they want to beat them, just join them!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3114766)   #36
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post

No thanks. The GT fields are adequate, it is LMP1 that needs support.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3395187)   #37
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Okay I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this since the main idea of this thread wasn't about GTE and it'a sub categories specifically, but whatever:

Regarding GTE-PRO and AM - most people know where I stand with the primary concept of it but let's not go there - instead let's look at the current situation... one of the yearly commentary highlights for me has been at Le Mans where the Eurosport gang attempts to explain the differences between classes, which goes along the lines of "well in PRO you have professionals and amateurs, and in AM you have professionals and amateurs too so..."

With the recent rule change over car eglibility in AM (models don't have to be year old anymore, to Larbre's frustration I'm sure) what we have is

GTE-PRO can have factory teams and private teams
GTE-AM can have factory teams (why...) and private teams
GTE-PRO can have professional drivers and amateur drivers
GTE-AM can have professional drivers and amateur drivers
GTE-PRO can have new GTE models and old GTE models
GTE-AM can have new GTE models and old GTE models
GTE-PRO uses BoP to adjust the field
GTE-AM uses BoP to adjust the field

How on Earth do you explain that to anybody????

So in practice the ONLY difference is:
- In AM you need one bronze + bronze/silver driver
- PRO BoP is different from AM BoP (funny... even in SRO GT3 formulae it tends to be the same)

Do people still like the concept? Again, I'm not going into my personal displeasure over the "meaningless sub classes awarding for mediocrity" again, but generally speaking it is kinda silly looking concept on paper too.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3395190)   #38
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
With the recent rule change over car eglibility in AM (models don't have to be year old anymore, to Larbre's frustration I'm sure)
What rule change? As far as I know, the fact that we have 2014-spec 991 RSR cars in GTE-Am is because Porsche homologated the "2014-spec" during 2013, and basically worked their way around the rule by pushing the homologation to before the last WEC race last year.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3395192)   #39
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
What rule change? As far as I know, the fact that we have 2014-spec 991 RSR cars in GTE-Am is because Porsche homologated the "2014-spec" during 2013, and basically worked their way around the rule by pushing the homologation to before the last WEC race last year.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=26937
GTE AM this season sees the teams able to opt to use current spec machinery, and all bar two have opted to do just that. That should mean that the Pro drivers in the class should mix it with the GTE Pros at times, and that could prove to be very entertaining.

Also made clear in the RLM comms today

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2014 at 19:33.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3395193)   #40
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but has the rule actually changed, or is it just the case that there are no 2014-spec cars, thus everything is one year old?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3395194)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit, I've never quite fathomed the idea of having pros in an am class. OK, you need to have pretty good ams so they don't get in the way of the pros, but to my simple mind it has always seemed quite a strange concept....
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3395195)   #42
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I must admit, I've never quite fathomed the idea of having pros in an am class. OK, you need to have pretty good ams so they don't get in the way of the pros, but to my simple mind it has always seemed quite a strange concept....
The even stranger concept is having full blown factory cars in AMATEUR category, as most obviously AMR is doing... Even Ratel has more sense in this matter.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3395232)   #43
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The factory cars for AM are 2013 models. The same as this years car. I dont think theres any difference.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3395238)   #44
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The factory cars for AM are 2013 models. The same as this years car. I dont think theres any difference.
Yup

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/y...ia-wec-season/
The machinery in the GTE-Am-class might look unchanged for the 2014 season, but on a second look, many details are new. The Young Driver AMR-Aston Martin GTE has been upgraded during the off-season to the latest specification and is now in the same spec to works cars in the Pro-class.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 00:31 (Ref:3395307)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Privateer teams don't always have amateur drivers, especially in the United States.

The point of the proposed GT+ is to allow manufacturers to develop extreme machines every year. Then let privateers buy the regular customer GT cars, which would be cheaper, well balanced and competitive for several seasons.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:40 (Ref:3396215)   #46
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
Yes but has the rule actually changed, or is it just the case that there are no 2014-spec cars, thus everything is one year old?
That. GTE was frozen at the end of 2013, which is why Porsche had to race the evolution 991 in Bahrain or stick with the old one.

I'd just get rid of GTE AM. Have a separate podium like we had for P1 privateers for teams fulfilling certain criteria (Bronze or Silver drivers in the squad or something like that), but don't make it a distinct class.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3396219)   #47
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
That. GTE was frozen at the end of 2013, which is why Porsche had to race the evolution 991 in Bahrain or stick with the old one.
Graham Goodwin and Sam Collins might've confused me with their wordings if that's the case

But do you mean GTE-AM was frozen or GTE in general? If PRO as well, how was GM able to introduce C7.R since it only debuted this year?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3396233)   #48
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is not any regoulamentar frozen specs for GTE cars, there is only for DTM (not total frozen specs, cars can have little updates like new mirrors) and already produced 2013 GT3 models. Simply cars like 458 and vantage are very old and basicly reachead already the edge of development, michelotto and prodrive have little to develope further. About porsche 991 is a different story, they introduced the "2014 specs" during the 2013 bahrein race, making available this package also for GT-AM teams for 2014 season! this basicly means that work teams (manthey in wec and porsche NA/core in TUSC) and private gt-am teams (proton and falken in TUSC) use exactly the same package.
If P&M were able to homologate and make debut the C7R in 2013 (also only for one race as porsche did), this year team larbre could use it in wec gt-am or elms gt class.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3396256)   #49
Deleted
Veteran

But why then DSC (and RLM when on air) mentioned that GTE-AM teams can now use most up-to-date machinery, as clearly C7.R is not eglible... again, maybe just bad wording, I don't know

C7.R doesn't appear on the BoP tables as of yet, btw. Usually in recent years they performance balance the cars in advance even if they haven't run a mile in ACO trim
Old 21 Apr 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3396279)   #50
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the GTE rules (http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichi...s-lm-gte.pdf):

Quote:
Except for safety or reliability reasons, only one evolution per period of 2 years is permitted before the first event of the season in which the homologated model is entered. This evolution will have the current year of the manufacture and will not be allowed on the cars from previous periods if a competitor wants to run in LMGTE-AM.

The period of restriction will begin for 2013 models for LMGTE-PRO cars, it will be the same for every car.
So, you can only do one update within two years. The rule came in starting from 2013, and obviously all cars were updated in 2013. That sounds to me like an effective development freeze for 2014 (although probably badly translated from French ). New cars for 2014 like the C7R aren't affected because they aren't homologated yet. The Porsches were upgraded because of this sentence:
Quote:
For the new cars homologated, 1 evolution during the season will be allowed the first year.