Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Is Simon Wills a dud?
Yes - Absolutely, I rate Wills right up there with Paul Morris 6 60.00%
No - FalconEL you don't know what you're talking about 3 30.00%
Maybe - I'm sitting on the fence on this one 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Oct 2001, 23:32 (Ref:157287)   #1
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon Wills

I can't believe a level one team would even contemplate hiring this dud.

1998 - writes off Wynns Commodore at Forrests Elbow (OK this one mightn't have been his fault but others missed the accident), 1999 - Crashes Faulkner's Commodore at the Cutting whilst leading the race, 2000 - wobbles around in 7th place with his fellow dud partner Baird in a very good Pirtek car (as has been proven by Ambrose so far this year), 2001 - Takes the CAT team out of contention after trying to outbrake the world at Murrays Corner (fading pedal my a#$e).

I predicted it early in the race and sure enough, it happened, the textbook Wills dumbass move that took himself and his team out of contention.

This guy is a great advertisment for:
a)the best Formula Holden's in the country can't be that difficult to drive
b)it's pretty easy to win a series with no real opposition ie. FHolden & Konica Series (don't tell me the Konica Series opposition which is full of cashed up monkeys with more dollars than talent, is even remotely strong when gun operators like Wakefield can turn up once a year and toast guys in a cobbled together VS)
c)one season in the Konica Series hasn't taught the bloke to drive with any sort of common sense in a level one V8 Supercar.

Other honourable dud mentions from yesterdays race go to the #9 car (how much longer will the Stone Bros. put up with Besnard's lack of performances and consistently bringing the car in with wheels pointing in all directions) and the Big Kev roadblock.

FalconEL
Old 8 Oct 2001, 10:01 (Ref:157386)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watching the replay of the race now...that was a great assesment of the situation by Wills on the brakes...maybe he shouldn't have been having a dive from half a mile behind...?

He was going like a cut snake...most other drivers would be running out of chances by now.

Kudos to Bowe, Perkins and Ambrose for at least admitting that they are geese
Old 8 Oct 2001, 15:13 (Ref:157499)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I havent made my mind up on wills as yet ..he is a very good driver ..he did well in the konica series ..and falcon fella...formula holdens are not easy to drive ..im sorry not wanting to offend you in anyway but that is a crazy statement. they are very tricky machines to drive but that doesnt mean if you are good in them you can drive a V8..but having said that ..he did show he is not quite ready for the big league...stupid move at murrays corner..fading brake peadl ...that maybe fine..but if ya have brake problems then by no way do you try to overtake 2 cars at once..just daft really wasnt it..felt really sorry for Tratty ..he was doing well up til then.

i think Wills may struggle next year in the SCS ..but maybe just maybe in 2 or 3 years he maybe up to the task of using his head and driving a good race..i guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 9 Oct 2001, 02:35 (Ref:157870)   #4
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Fair call about the Formula Holdens Marcus.

I was just up on my soapbox for a minute or two lol. I agree that to be able to drive anything quickly is difficult, be it a HQ, Formula Vee or Formula Holden.

What I will say about them however is that IMHO as far as racing cars go, they are over-tyred, over-downforced, and underpowered. Wills Birrana was certainly one of the best cars in the field however.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 04:33 (Ref:158330)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep ..Biranna are the class of the field ..allthough I think they have just pulled the pin completely leaving formula Holden in even more dissarray.

anyway back to Wills.

I still have no idea about him yet
Old 10 Oct 2001, 04:54 (Ref:158338)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biranna have pulled out of motorsport alltogether according to last week's Auto Action.

Saturday's Konica Challenge might have been a whole different story if Wills entered in the Dynamik VT.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 04:57 (Ref:158340)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, because it is a latest spec, essentially a level one car...you would kind of expect it to win.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 00:50 (Ref:158927)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i remember a holden young lion driver crashing at forest elbow and then winning the race 3 or so years later.....
why would you write wills of when he has his record to back up the reason of his signing
doesnt all of these young drivers have more than 1 accident early on in there career.....would simon be ok if he admitted that he #%%@ed up instead of saying he had dodgy brakes - maybe he was telling the truth , i say give him atleast a season of racing at the top v8 level

"go the xd on gas - it goes like a rocket"
Old 11 Oct 2001, 11:36 (Ref:159011)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't go calling him simple Simon yet.

A bit more time is needed. It is also hard to judge Wills harshly when so many older and supposedly wiser drivers basically made unforced errors. At least Wills was racing for position.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 11:43 (Ref:159015)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hehe...ask Jason Bright about Wills...

98 wasn't his fault
99 was stupid
01 the move on Tratt was pretty stupid...it would be for a sprint round, but at Bathurst, and in a very good position with a very good car.... and then at the end with Mezera- a shame the cameras didn't catch it, but the reports but the blame faily on Wills.

Re- Bargs: that was a slight mistake that has caught out many before him...a better example would be Tander- he hit everyone and everything in 1998/99...