Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2547849)   #201
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Legal issues surrounding the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport are the greatest indication yet that the series will not make it to the Gold Coast for the Nikon SuperGP in October.

A1 Grand Prix Operations, a subsidiary of A1 Grand Prix Holdings, was put into compulsory liquidation on June 24 in England owing millions of dollars.

It is understood that A1GP Holdings, being the parent company of A1GP Operations, is laying claim to the 25 Ferrari-powered cars, which are due to touch down in Australia for testing at Queensland Raceway in the lead up to the October 22-25 Nikon SuperGP .

Freight company DOT is currently holding the open wheelers along with the series’ pace and medic cars in England because A1GP allegedly owes AU$6.5 million, while the liquidator of A1GP Operations has indicated it will produce evidence proving that company is the true owner of the cars.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/news/tab...d/default.aspx
Allthough an interesting article at bigpondsport, the photograph they are using to illistrated that the cars are impounded is a distortion, they are stored inside at Dunsfold aerodrome in Surrey south of England, not outside in the rain as in the photograph. This is the location of BBC's Top Gear programme. I have never seen Palm trees there before as in the photograph..
Old 25 Sep 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2547886)   #202
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The photograph could be from the paddock at Sepang from a previous race, but who cares.

Some oddities from the article:

Why would the A1GP General Manager go to the trouble of contacting Big Pond when they can't get their act together to put out a press release counting the speculation? Some rather odd prioritisation going on there...

And if there is "fairly expensive backing" then why isn't that being used to pay off the outstanding debts? Even if this "expensive backing" results in the series getting off the grid I would not be very comfortable watching a series that has got there by walking away from debts through legal technicalities. It would be institutionalised cheating and a lot worse than the Renault F1 case, which at least was a one off. If ING walk away from Renault then A1GP sure as hell would not be finding any large sponsorships any time soon.

Odd language to say "expensive backing" anyway. Expensive is usually a word used when money is going out, not coming in.

I think the ideal scenario is this - "The administrator will push for all of the equipment – which besides the cars includes freight containers, tool and tyre chests – to be sold off together in the hope of attracting a buyer interested in taking over the series".
Old 25 Sep 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2547913)   #203
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine that A1GP is worth more than the sum of its parts. Even if it were to be liquidated, it would be the preference to sell it on intact as a going concern. The individual cars themselves and the A1GP brand have little value, except to collectors and enthusiats, unless they are racing. Not allowing the series to continue and not travelling to Australia would be a fatal blow to any hope the administrator has of selling the business as a going concern.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2548048)   #204
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been reading through this thread and this weeks autosport and i have to say i am rather disapointed that there is no British round, the races at brands were always good IMO. Does anyone know if there is a specific reason for the calender not visiting GB?
Old 25 Sep 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2548099)   #205
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that the British team went into administration in March probably has something to do with it - presumably they have not found new owners, and as races only take place in countries with teams, no British race.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2548130)   #206
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps they meant EXTENSIVE backing??

I'm still on the media list with A1, just received this press release:

Financial Future of A1GP World Cup of Motorsport Secured

London, 25 September.A1GP World Cup of Motorsport will be starting Season Five in just over a month with the Nikon SuperGP on 22 to 25 October and a financial restructuring has been put in place to secure its long term future.

A1GP Chairman, Tony Teixeira, has outlined his plans for the series having secured the full financial package necessary to see it grow over the next three to four years. “I wanted to announce this re-financing a long time ago, but the reason it has taken longer than I planned was the size of the package. I could see no reason to look for a one year deal, it had to be for at least three to four years until such a time as the series is independent. This way we can make sure everyone involved in the series has the necessary security and the series is totally creditable.”

Teixeira is also working closely with his major partners and suppliers to ensure their continued support. “I shall be meeting all of them personally in the next couple of days. I want them to understand this is a series that is here to stay on the motorsport scene, and they need to know their involvement is with a series that is going from strength to strength.”

The way Teixeira sees the series now is as starting with a totally clean sheet with a re-structuring that has no outstanding issues that can hold back its growth: “We have always put on a fantastic show and this is only going to get better.” However, he was also realistic about the adverse publicity that the series has received, and was quick to reassure all those involved that many of the stories were very wide of the mark. “I have seen all the stories written over the past few weeks doubting the future of the series, and these are not new to me as I have seen them at the start of every one of our four seasons. These are not things I like to read and I feel frustrated that I cannot always come out and explain exactly what we are doing, but, as you know, we have always delivered every season and race we have committed to,” he said.

The series has recently announced a new deal with IMG Sports Media to market its worldwide media rights for the next three years and also the Season Five calendar. Teixeira is now working on further deals, and in the coming weeks the grid for the race in Surfers Paradise will be announced after final deals have been put in place.

The one outstanding issue that will be dealt with soon is the liquidation of A1 Grand Prix Operations Limited, that was a subsidiary of A1 Holdings Ltd. Administration for this company has now been applied for and this will be heard on the 6th October. Teixeira’s message to all of the company’s creditors was: “Our intention is to settle all our outstanding creditors prior to the administration hearing, and would like to thank them for their patience and support.

“We at A1GP have been so lucky to have such loyal support from all our stake holders - management and staff, race promoters, team owners, partners, suppliers, TV rights holders, sponsors and last but not least our fans”.

Apologies to the Mods if this breaches any forum rules, I just thought it was worth posting

Phil
Old 25 Sep 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2548351)   #207
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
good news
Old 25 Sep 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2548366)   #208
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
....... but what has he said?
Old 26 Sep 2009, 02:44 (Ref:2548416)   #209
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting Hubble (my understanding is if it's a press release you can post the whole thing, if an article post a link). I also just read the whole thing on Autosport.

This is truely excellent news if it is indeed robust, it would be nice to know where this extensive backing is coming from but I guess that is too much to ask!

It is nice that he recognises the fans in the release, I hope from now on they can keep us a bit better informed. An entry list for Surfers before very long would be nice.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2549057)   #210
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
Just been reading through this thread and this weeks autosport and i have to say i am rather disapointed that there is no British round, the races at brands were always good IMO. Does anyone know if there is a specific reason for the calender not visiting GB?
http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/...spx?news=sport

Quote:
Track owner, Jonathan Palmer, confirmed that the circuit will not be host A1GP races next year, but stopped short of ruling out a return after next season.

He told Kent News: “At the moment it appears the championship does not have a safe financial footing and until it does, we will not be involved. Obviously we would love to hold the race, but only if we have some indication of the future of the series. It has been a great series and I hope it will come back to Brands Hatch in the future.”
Old 28 Sep 2009, 05:38 (Ref:2549510)   #211
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!

Top dog saves A1GP series

THE SuperGP is set to move into overdrive after the A1GP's top dog announced a major long-term financial plan to secure the series.

SuperGP boss Greg Hooton said it would be full-steam ahead in the countdown to the Surfers Paradise race next month after A1GP chairman Tony Teixeira announced over the weekend he had secured investors to grow the troubled series for the next three to four years.

The news is sweet relief for Mr Hooton and Australian team principal Alan Jones who have had to constantly squash rumours the A1GP would pull out of the race at the last minute because of financial troubles with suppliers owed money from last season.

"Trying to bring on board sponsors or partners has been hard because they said 'we've heard you might not be coming'," said Mr Jones.

"I know that is what has probably been holding them back, and I don't blame them, but hopefully now it will serve as some security and they will come on board.

"I'll certainly be giving them a ring and telling them John Martin is ready to drive and the cars will be out here ... I'd like to think the Australian car is going to be the most photographed, so it is a great opportunity."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

....Appalling journalism,someone has just reworked the statement from A1 that was put out the other day.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2549525)   #212
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Words are cheap, action is what is needed and promises have been made week on week for the last 12 months with no truth. Monies owed have been promised as "in the post" and never arrive. I hope that this latest press release is fact and not another pointless delaying tactic as all involved in A1GP have had enought false hope.. I'd like to say that at least we should find out for sure this week, but that statement is worn out.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2549566)   #213
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Appears to be a war of fax machines.....everytime theres a negative comment A1 counter with an upbeat we've found a pot of gold counter attack.

As Alan Jones said how can teams get sponsors and drivers etc when there appears to be nothing going to happen?.
And how can fans book holidays to the first race with so much uncertainty with only 4 weeks to go?.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2549749)   #214
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Top dog saves A1GP series

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

....Appalling journalism,someone has just reworked the statement from A1 that was put out the other day.
The usual standard from that publication it seems.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2549815)   #215
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh ok thanks...its a shame but i guess jonathon is speaking some sense!

I am more intrigued by this though!!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent news
Brands Hatch will host another event to cover A1GP which is yet to be disclosed.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2550128)   #216
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect it will be a round of the Superleague series.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 05:36 (Ref:2550251)   #217
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I expect it will be a round of the Superleague series.
Oh dear. As if that series has a great future
Old 29 Sep 2009, 06:59 (Ref:2550278)   #218
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Oh dear. As if that series has a great future
True.I am suprised it has got this far.Crowd much smaller than A1GP-no mention in national media that I have seen.Truth is there are far too many single seater/open wheeler series in the F2 range-ie.below F1 but above starter series.I would like to see a merge of A1GP/Superleague/GP2/F2/F.Rerault 3.5/F.Nippon/Indylights?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2550438)   #219
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think a merge is feasible. I think A1GP has its markets quite right, nation vs nation and racing in F1's off season.

I think it just needs stability both in terms of calendar and maybe better drivers. The leading ones (like Adam Carroll) are good, but the others need to be better, and they should stay in the series, unless they move to F1.

Just heard a rumour 18 teams will start in Australia.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2551454)   #220
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
As mentioned in yet another rewrite of A1's 'the world is saved' press release'........http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...012789,00.html

What happened to all the good investigative journalists,todays muppets seem to just sit around making stories out of other peoples press releases?......
Old 1 Oct 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2552041)   #221
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I cab assure you that trying to get news out of A1GP is not easy as nobody answers emails ..........
Old 11 Oct 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2559042)   #222
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychard View Post
I cab assure you that trying to get news out of A1GP is not easy as nobody answers emails ..........
Maybe you're not emailing the right people then.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 01:42 (Ref:2560943)   #223
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP returns to Zhuhai

A1GP and Zhuhai International Circuit announced that A1GP will return to race there on 15 Nov.

http://www.zic.com.cn/zicen/
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2561270)   #224
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
very good for zhuhai. the circuit was rapidly on ****. a1gp is rescuing the circuit. making it a truly internanal circuit. the majority of the competitors can be happy. zhuhai near macau and hongkong. good for shopping and eat.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2566456)   #225
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superleague just released a provisional calendar for 2010, and there is a round in Assen..on the same date as the A1GP round (15/16 May)