Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:38 (Ref:181622)   #1
Clarke Fan
Rookie

Clarke Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV gets BTCC!

I've just read on www.btccpages.com that ITV will get the BTCC deal and not channel 4!

Last edited by Clarke Fan; 3 Dec 2001 at 13:42.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:47 (Ref:181626)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best get used to setting the video for £0/c in the morining then. LOL.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:48 (Ref:181627)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:50 (Ref:181629)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, that should have been 3 o/c !:confused:
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:53 (Ref:181630)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is ture the BTCC is going to be on ITV1 and the news is now on the TocaTour Website too.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:53 (Ref:181631)   #6
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just read about the TV deal on the toca tour website, no need to set the videos for early morning as it is being shown on a saturday afternoons for an hour between the times of 1.30 and 3pm, 7 of the programmes will follow F1 qualifying. They will be shown a week after the race so shouldn't clash with actual race days. Most regions should get it as it is an agreemant with Granada Sport. Sounds good if they stick with what they've promised
Old 3 Dec 2001, 14:06 (Ref:181633)   #7
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an awesome deal for BTC and I think Richard West should be heartily congratulated. Without a doubt, this is the best possible deal for the Championship as the number of motorsport fans likely to tune in after the F1 qualifying is enormous.
The more viewers, the more sponsors, the more cars (the more drives available to the Rickster...)
Well done Westie and team!
RickP
Old 3 Dec 2001, 14:07 (Ref:181636)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
at least it won't clash with GP qualifying anymore...
Old 3 Dec 2001, 14:20 (Ref:181644)   #9
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow !! This is fantastic news !! I would have thought that an announcment from MG about 3rd (and 4th?) drivers names should follow very soon.....
Old 3 Dec 2001, 15:09 (Ref:181659)   #10
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Could Touring Cars get a better deal? I honestly don't think so. It's the ideal time slot, just after F1, and regular, the same time slot (to within half an hour) every time, and for BTCC advertising it's the perfect opportunity to put in adverts for the next week's meeting! (Due to regional advertising slots being available).
There will be no clashes with F1 (Hooray!) No clashes with other Touring Car races (Hooray!) And with it not being in Grandstand, hopefully no chance of it being cut down because of overrunning tennis or something else! (Hooray!)

Now all we need is Channel 4 to show the PowerTour coverage at the same time on the other weekends, and it's the best possible outcome we could expect.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 15:34 (Ref:181666)   #11
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hold on,red shoes says its on after f1 on saturday....(3,2,1...)...F***** YES,YES,YES,YES!sorry about the bad languge....

now is cox and watson in it??????? if they are not then......
Old 3 Dec 2001, 15:34 (Ref:181668)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well I really do hope this TV deal will force a few other manufacturers to confirm their plans to enter the BTCC. I notice it doesn't say who the commentary team will be, any news on one Charlie Cox being recruited or maybe Ben Edwards. It would be an ideal training ground for future F1 broadcasters!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:05 (Ref:181682)   #13
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmm great news about the TV deal Surely this will enhance the profile of the BTCC.

What about JC for a commentator?
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:10 (Ref:181686)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about comeback for one Mr.M.Walker ?
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:12 (Ref:181688)   #15
MJB RETURNS
Racer

the good thing about it that its not late at night(poor dtm),the adverts for the btc could help loads.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:22 (Ref:181696)   #16
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said Touring Cars was on its way down?

This deal is certainly going to boost the BTCC!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:48 (Ref:181708)   #17
MJB RETURNS
Racer

i didnt say or mean that? i never say that!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:50 (Ref:181710)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely! Congratulations, once again, go to Mr West and his associates for coming up with the goods. I was really quite hopeful that this would come, but even I started to have small doubts recently as the announcement dragged... well done guys!

I have a five page press release on my desk to confirm the details... i'm not going to type it all in but believe me, it's exciting stuff!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:02 (Ref:181719)   #19
MJB RETURNS
Racer

oh go on! how about a shorten verison? are buy you a if you do!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:25 (Ref:181735)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Regarding the commentators, as far as i'm aware, Cox and Watson are both contracted to Octagon CSi who have produced the package this season. However Granada Sport will be taking over production duties next season and with one of their people, Derek Martin, having worked for BHP in the past we can only hope that they are contracted to make a return. In any case, I would expect at least Cox to be retained, and probably Watson too.

Regarding broadcasting, initially the only people who get coverage will be those in the following regions: LWT, Meridian, Anglia, Granada, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees, Border TV, Channel and Central. Negotiations are on going with the remaining regions.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 18:05 (Ref:181750)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark

Just in:

Quote:
FORMULA ONE SUPREMO DELIGHTED WITH TV DEAL

Formula One supremo, Bernie Ecclestone, has expressed his delight at the agreement earlier today between British Motorsport Promoters (BMP) and the broadcaster Granada Sport. The two year deal sees the expanding British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) receive a regular one hour slot on Saturday afternoons on terrestrial television throughout the United Kingdom.

Ecclestone said in a press conference, "It is great news for the sport of Formula One." When pressed to expand on this, he explained, "Touring cars are increasingly popular in the UK, we (Formula One) are lucky enough that the coverage of this series will now be on immediately following the coverage of our qualifying session at seven of their ten rounds throughout the season."

"Formula One has been in the doldrums over the past couple of seasons, with less and less overtaking, the 'true' fan has defected to other rival series. We are hopeful that we will be able to attract some of those fans who are tuning in to watch the touring car coverage to tune in an hour earlier and watch our coverage too. It can only be good for the sport of Formula One."

Ecclestone is thought to have played an instrumental part in the deal.
Blimey!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 18:18 (Ref:181755)   #22
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subjects of what regions are being included in the deal,does anyone know if HTV has been confirmed? if it hasn't i'm going to be well pi**ed off ,but if it has then
Old 3 Dec 2001, 19:06 (Ref:181787)   #23
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MJB RETURNS
the adverts for the btc could help loads.
Yep sure think they will, which will be good for production teams looking for sponsors to help fund team running.

It may end up like NASCAR advertising and sponsorship but if the racings good who cares.

Macay D Astra Coupe
Old 3 Dec 2001, 20:30 (Ref:181819)   #24
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news for BTCC!!!

If Channel 4 can get its F3/ GT coverage sorted (i.e at a good regular time a WEEK after the race) for next year and get its Rally coverage spot on all I can say is....

Roll on 2002....!!!!!!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 20:41 (Ref:181825)   #25
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is wonderful news! Roll on 2002, I'll be watching it on Speedvision!

So they will be advertising for the BTCC once the season starts? That's great, I recall long ago we were arguing about the fact that nobody saw any BTCC "adverts" on TV...

Anyway, this is definetly GREAT news for the BTCC. That's interesting that Bernie could have had an effect in this.