Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2003, 09:25 (Ref:604399)   #1
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Niki on Schumacher's pit stop:

"Michael knew that his overalls would hold the fire much longer than the ones I had in my days. He could have stayed in the cockpit for much longer before he would look like me."

Niki Lauda
Old 20 May 2003, 09:34 (Ref:604412)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Don't forget Niki lost his helmet in his crash,thats why he was so badly burnt.You cant compare the 2 incidents,MS was in little danger.
Old 20 May 2003, 10:07 (Ref:604448)   #3
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just like Niki's self deprecating manner. I find it refreshing that a guy like him can see the funny side of his situation, and be completely at ease with his appearence. It seems that the German network always interviews him with his right profile showing, quite clearly not his best...
Old 20 May 2003, 16:23 (Ref:604950)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's got on with his life - I respect him for that.
Old 20 May 2003, 16:25 (Ref:604951)   #5
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
He's got on with his life - I respect him for that.
A bit of an understatement!!!! He only missed a few races. And he went on to win WDC... Now thats balls....
Old 20 May 2003, 19:32 (Ref:605208)   #6
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great guy that Lauda. I think he and Irvine share a similar sense of humour. Of course, Irvine never had a near-fatal accident, but you know what I mean.

I instantly thought of Lauda when I saw that pit fire. Another few seconds and the whole car could have exploded
Old 20 May 2003, 20:01 (Ref:605232)   #7
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yip as you guys said, Lauda is great.

Even if the Ferrari "exploded" the fire would have been out very quickly. Some of the pitcrew were in more danger than Schumacher.
Old 21 May 2003, 08:26 (Ref:605642)   #8
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody heard about the time that Lauda and some collegues went back to the site of the crash. A guy on bike passed them and asked what they were doing and Lauda replied he was looking for his ear....
Old 21 May 2003, 14:33 (Ref:605936)   #9
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Lauda is the dirty Harry of the F1 world. I give him much respect for how he entred F1, what he acheived, his principles when he raced, his business success and how he faced his troubles, eg.. his burns and his airlines disaster a few years ago. And he seems very funny as well.

What a champ
Old 22 May 2003, 15:14 (Ref:606954)   #10
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another info on Lauda. Doctors actually told him that they could repair his face nearly perfectly. He refused. When they asked him at German RTL why he refused he said there is no use of it, he already gets enough pretty girls, with a beautiful face he would get too many :-))). The guy is awsome
Old 22 May 2003, 15:32 (Ref:606978)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I think he thought that if his face went back to normal then it would kind of blot out his accident - as if it never happened. He needed that face to push through improvements in F1 safety, really...

He must have been going through hell racing 6 weeks after that crash, though...
Old 22 May 2003, 15:44 (Ref:606985)   #12
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have read somewhere that he was screeming every time they removed his mask after his accident. The team had to cut it from his face which was basically an open wound. Now that is courage. He did not win the DWC that year though, he was second by a point. If I were Bernie I would find a way arround the regulations and would give him the DWC.
Old 22 May 2003, 15:55 (Ref:606999)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
You can't just change the rules to give some guy the championship because you think he deserves it more!

Now if he hadn't won any championships at all, then perhaps they could put together some 'honorary world championship' for him, but to be honest, he's more than made up for the disappointment!

Last edited by Logrence; 22 May 2003 at 15:56.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:01 (Ref:607003)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Attila
I have read somewhere that he was screeming every time they removed his mask after his accident. The team had to cut it from his face which was basically an open wound. Now that is courage. He did not win the DWC that year though, he was second by a point. If I were Bernie I would find a way around the regulations and would give him the DWC.
They'd already wrongly disqualified James Hunt at Sivlerstone, and they penalised him dubiously at Monza, so they almost did. F1 officials biased towards Ferrari? Never heard of it before.

But yea, Niki's clearly a great guy in terms of his response to that accident. The girls who are drawn to him probably view him as brave adn heroic, adn I guess that means mroe than a pretty face.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:07 (Ref:607006)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda would not accept the WDC for 76 if offered. For a fantastic retelling of that season, read James Hunt's book: "James Hunt Against All Odds".

Niki did not even keep his trophies. In his early autobiography he stated he either left them at the track, or gave them to a kid. He felt he did not need to display his success in a trophy case or a shrine to himself. To win was his prize, and the trophy was meaningless.

What a great competitor and champion he is.

Last edited by Neil C; 22 May 2003 at 16:09.
Old 23 May 2003, 04:49 (Ref:607408)   #16
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see a sense of human in the F1 paddock! It is very refreshing to see a guy who does not take himself too seriously.
Old 25 May 2003, 01:20 (Ref:609139)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lauda really does stack up well in the history of the sport- 3 WDCs, 25 wins and a realist, a down-to-earth man with a life outside racing and the respect of the people in the sport both back then and now.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 25 May 2003, 09:56 (Ref:609293)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For a fantastic retelling of that season, read James Hunt's book: "James Hunt Against All Odds".
I have read my copy 176 times That was the greastest year ever in F1,..I think I might go read it again
Old 25 May 2003, 21:44 (Ref:609927)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Lauda said it like. To actually get hurt in F1 nowadays really does take some doing...
Old 27 May 2003, 05:58 (Ref:611119)   #20
mortda
Rookie

mortda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the British GP at Brands Hatch and can still remember the incident on the fist corner when James Hunt flew over the side of Lauda's Ferrari after clipping the rear wheel in a first corner melee' Quite a sight!
Old 28 May 2003, 15:47 (Ref:612593)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
176 times? Armco Bender.....you actually keep count?