Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Dec 2000, 19:07 (Ref:52650)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!

What to do ?

Le Mans and Mondello BTCC are on the same weekend...! ARSE!

I know we've got a Le Mans topic going already, but who is likely to go to which ? Want to know which ferry company to get in touch with...
Old 15 Dec 2000, 20:09 (Ref:52665)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can tell you for certain that I'm not going to either.
Old 15 Dec 2000, 20:10 (Ref:52666)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Craig,

It has to be LM. There is no alternate.

For the ferries, the choice is Dover/Calais or Portsmouth/Le Harvre.

Be quick places are filling fast. Dover would be the better bet as it is a 60 min trip although this involves a longer drive. However it is along a French Autoroute, 20 FF toll but well worth it, almost empty dual carriageway for miles (Watch the speed as they can calculate your average speed from the time printed on the toll ticket)

Newhaven could be another as I hear that they are planning on restarting the ferry service.

Try P & O, we went with them last year as they were the cheaper, get a 5 day return (120 hour) then book ferries just outside the 120 hours for max value for money. You can normally get on an earlier ferry as well.

Any problems please call as we are booking up 4 car loads early Jan.

Simon
Old 15 Dec 2000, 20:11 (Ref:52667)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans for me. That's a certainty.

Let's face it, I'm not much of a fan of the BTCC in its present form, and that sounds like a bit of a slog to be honest.
Old 15 Dec 2000, 20:16 (Ref:52669)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The trouble is... BOTH meetings were right at the top of my 'to do' list...! Chances are, i'll end up at Le Mans, but I really fancied a night out in Dublin
Old 17 Dec 2000, 01:33 (Ref:52895)   #6
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello! Mondello! Mondello!

I won't be drinking the Guinness (yuck!) but we've got to go to the first BTCC at Mondello!

MONDELLO! CRAAAAAIGGGGG!!!! MONDELLO!!!!!!!

Old 17 Dec 2000, 10:46 (Ref:52956)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sorry, Lorny, unless BMP see the error of their ways and move the Mondello meeting, i'll be in French France...
Old 17 Dec 2000, 13:23 (Ref:52987)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Made some preliminary enquiries about Mondello.

Irish Ferries (www.irishferries.ie) charge about £170 for car and driver 5-day return trip from Liverpool to Dublin plus about £30 per extra passenger. Thats for the slow ferry (3hr 15m). There's a quicker option (1hr 49m) but obviously more expensive (about £40 extra).

Outgoing trip leaves Liverpool at 03:30 or 15:45, return leaves Dublin 09:45 or 21:45. Schoey will obviously go for the 03:30 and 21:45 so he can be there and back on the same day. for the more sensible of us can I suggest leaving 15:45 on Fri (or Sat) and returning 09:45 Mon.
Old 17 Dec 2000, 13:45 (Ref:52990)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Bloody hell... it's hardly cheap then! How about flying with Ryan Air or someone ? Would that work out bvetter value ? Of course, you'd need to hire a people carrier or mini bus at the other end, so it'd probably work out around the same...

grrr...!
Old 17 Dec 2000, 21:22 (Ref:53064)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thought about looking at some of the cheapo airlines (EasyJet, Go) but don't think it would work out that much cheaper. Mondello about is 20 miles from Dublin which means a rental car or a long taxi ride, plus you'd have to stay B&B in Dublin rather than camp at the circuit. Haven't included petrol costs as that's probably about the same whether you drive to Liverpool and get the ferry or drive to Luton(?) and leave your car in the long term parking.

The expensive bit seems to be the car. If you can split it 3 or 4 ways it's not too bad. Know anyone who can lend us a minibus for the weekend and we can split the cost 10 ways ?

Pity the Clio's won't be racing there. We could have all stowed away in Rick's transporter.
Old 17 Dec 2000, 22:23 (Ref:53073)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
So the Clio's aren't racing then ? pah!

I do know someone who hires mini-buses - they own a company called Kendall Cars - and, to be honest, if there's enough of you, it'd be worthwhile booking one for a few days... though you have to watch that the ferry company don't charge you commercial rates as it is not a car...
Old 18 Dec 2000, 00:57 (Ref:53092)   #12
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I managed to get another 3 people to go with me, that would be £42.50 each. It is still possible, with tents and sleeping bags. I'm not put off yet. It would be good for a change of scenery. Shame Clios aren't going to be there.