Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Sep 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1419475)   #1
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eastern Creek question...

Out of all the forums and threads, I believe that this is the best place where I would hopefully get the most response from...

I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong spot or if a similar topic has already been created...

I am heading out to Eastern Creek for the A1 Grand Prix this coming November. I live about a 20 minutes drive from EC, yet I've only been there once, over 10 years ago, back when they use to still Drag there...

OK, basically, where is the best place to sit to get the most view out of the circuit???...

Judging by the map on their website (Map Here (pdf)), I think sitting on the 'Viewing Hill' after Turn 3 might be OK. You'd get to see Turn 1 (hopefully), some of Turn 2, Turn 3, Turn 4, and maybe Turn 9 and beyond...

Another spot I thought of would be Viewing area at Turns 11-12. That way I'd get to see all that part of the track, and hopefully see down pit straight as well... However, when watching the V8's, not a lot really happens there, as overtaking seems to be hard there...

I've already been strongly advised not to sit at Turn 1 as it's apparently boring as hell...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thankyou...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1419501)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a rumor that the A1 GP cars are running Eastern Creek is reverse ? That is, turn 1 becomes turn 13 ?

Why would turn 1/13 be boring, i thought you would see most of the track from there ?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 01:45 (Ref:1419549)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I heard a rumor that the A1 GP cars are running Eastern Creek is reverse ? That is, turn 1 becomes turn 13 ?

Why would turn 1/13 be boring, i thought you would see most of the track from there ?
Where did you hear that rumour from ? I would be very surpised if that ever happened.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1419558)   #4
Ozfords
Racer

Australia
Blue Mountains
Ozfords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anywhere there is a superscreen, you'll never lose touch with the action at the worlds greatest one make series.

Seriously, anywhere you go, there is limited vision, turn 1 is good, the peak of corporate hill (though it is isolated from civilisation, turn 3/4 hill ain't too bad and off course the final corner.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1419722)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
im a grandstand fan. recent history says it will rain at some stage. viewing is pretty good. big screen, you get to see the pit action and be there for the start
Old 29 Sep 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1419803)   #6
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt they would run in reverse, there are some serious concrete walls with no run off areas if they did.

Go to corporate hill at Turn 9 for a good view, or indeed at the hill you mentioned at T2, although you have to be right on the peak to see most of the track. The view from between T1 and T2 is ok two, you soon learn who has the cajones at T1.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1419827)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where would they have concrete walls with no run off's ?? The first/final turn... but that would not be as dangerous due to the lower speed through the corner.

I did hear something from somewhere, and i cant remember the source, but it was that Eastern Creek had to be run in reverse to meet the standards required to Confirm to the FIA license required to run the A1GP.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1419844)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best place to watch the action at Eastern Creek... on the pit wall... nothing compares to the the sense of sheer speed as various cars thunder down the main straight!!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Sep 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1419856)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
http://www.a1gp.com/racing/season.ph...vId=2&raceid=5

according to the ai gp site the track will be held in the anti clockwise direction.

how much fun would it be (NOT) 260+kmh into the new so called 1st turn and you finish up in the habour because there is no run off area (didnt a drag racer get killed there) or maybe the new left hander onto the straight in dront of the grandstand 180kmh into the wall head on. big barrell roll into the crowd. i dont think they will be running clock wise.

the real question is though, why would they run at such an average track. its not even good enough for the v8's
Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1420010)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
http://www.a1gp.com/racing/season.ph...vId=2&raceid=5

according to the ai gp site the track will be held in the anti clockwise direction.
Interesting. Apologies to Jason as you were correct.

Seems an odd move to be honest. NSW Gov spent $400,000 on upgrading the track, seems weird that they also have to run it in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
the real question is though, why would they run at such an average track. its not even good enough for the v8's
That is in their own (dare I say misguided) opinion
Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1420022)   #11
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the standard direction anti clockwise anyway?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1420082)   #12
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Isn't the standard direction anti clockwise anyway
Yep, to anybody reading this thread just ignore the experts here they dont even know which way the track goes.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1420099)   #13
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I thought most of them were old farts who grew up looking at clocks with hands not digital ones
Old 30 Sep 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1420500)   #14
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
OK, I think we're drifting away from the main point here...

Ozfords, apparently (however, I believe it it highly unlikely) there are no superscreens... or at least there never were any for the V8's (I dont know if this is correct, just what I heard)... Is it actually possible to get on corporate hill with a G.A. ticket???...

peckstar, we were thinking about what tickets to get (grandstand or G.A.), and we decided that we won't get the grandstand ones. Depending on how it will be this year (and depending on whether they come back next year), we might get one next year...

GTRMagic, I don't think its possible...
Old 30 Sep 2005, 06:57 (Ref:1420595)   #15
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Where would they have concrete walls with no run off's ?? The first/final turn... but that would not be as dangerous due to the lower speed through the corner.
Are you kidding? As the track runs at the moment, T1 (which would be the final turn), T3 which would be the 3rd last corner would have you running downhill on grass towards a wall if you overshot the corner, the current T5 would also have cars arrowing towards a wall with no sand trap and little run off, same with T7 and T8.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1420619)   #16
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the back of the paddock between turns 3 & 4 just after the tunnel, your close to the action, You can see the exit of turn 8 / entry into turn 9 and some of the straight.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1420680)   #17
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the "Viewing hill" would be my preferance. Iwatched a few races from therew last week, and have done so many times previous.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1420901)   #18
Skippy1976
Rookie

Skippy1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taken from http://www.a1gp.com/racing/season.php?raceid=5

Track Length: 3.93km
Number of Corners: 12
Lap Record: 1:22.5131 - 26/03/00 - Tim Leahey (Formula Holden - Reynard 92D/Holden)
Direction: Anti clockwise
No of Laps:
Address: Horsley Road, Eastern Creek, Sydney, Australia
Old 30 Sep 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1421335)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
gee that looks familiar skippy, maybe it was mentioned on the last page
Old 1 Oct 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1421483)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Cheeky!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
And I thought most of them were old farts who grew up looking at clocks with hands not digital ones
When I was growing up we used to use things that let sand through at a prescribed rate, hands on watches came later...

Happy to be called an Old Fart and want to get the T Shirt

Now, EC...depends on whether you are mobile or like your comforts...comforts and a sense of occaision??? go the grandstand...

If you really want to see stuff happening as it should...then start a track walk during the day, stopping at a particular viewing spot for each support race... when ye have a good un..camp there for the A1GP (and be nice to the local Marshals )

Don't be frightened to either drive around the back of the circuit (Turns 7-8) if the crowd is down ( ) or walk around from the main car park over near Turn 4-5.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1422390)   #21
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
I was playing V8 Supercars 2 last night, and drove around Eastern Creek, and yea, I think I've managed to find some good spots...

However, the best thing to do is indeed walk around the circuit, which I'll do on Friday...

Thanks for all your help, it did come in handy...
Old 4 Nov 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1452393)   #22
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Just an update for those who want to know...

We walked around the whole circuit yesterday, and we found a few good spots, however, we decided that Turn 2 was the best...

This is because most of the action happens there, and watching the cars FLY through T1 is awesome...

There were other good spots, but none as good as this...

There are only 3 super screens, and all face the crowd on the front straight... and there isn't even a loud speaker anywhere except the front straight, so where we sit, we have no idea whats going on around us... just whats in front of us... HOWEVER, it's still worth it... because sitting up at T1 where you can see the screen, you can't really see T2, where most of the action happens...

We also sat in the grandstand for a while (it was empty Friday, I expect more people today and tomorrow), its not that bad, you see them exit T13, enter T1, you can see T4 and some of T5, and you can see a bit of T9... it's good up there too, but you have to have a seat right at the top...

So yea... attached it a pic of where we walked... and where we'll sit... Enjoy!

Old 5 Nov 2005, 02:48 (Ref:1452557)   #23
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
That is in their own (dare I say misguided) opinion

I think it harks back to the fact that the manegment are hard to deal with at best, no one ever comes out to the track to watch, and for some strange reason, it changes so much with the weather that it is too unpredictable , hence manegment hate it, the fans appear to hate it, and the teams hate it. The fact that it is located in one of the most beutiful parts of sydney just isn't enough

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 5 Nov 2005, 03:36 (Ref:1452568)   #24
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlooker
The fact that it is located in one of the most beutiful parts of sydney just isn't enough
Eastern Creek reminds me of Bonny Doon with the power lines running through the middle of it, such a beautiful area of Sydney......

My old man was out there during the week for the officials briefing and he said the stench from the tip was very strong due to the recent rain. What was the stench like on Friday or today??
Old 5 Nov 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1452625)   #25
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stench wasnt too bad, flys were there in bulk though!

Rain threatened all day but didnt eventuate.

Timing screens might hav ebeen helpful for qualifying, and the GT race should have been without lack of action. Wouldnt have wanted to pay to get in though.

At least the main event cars were on the track a lot, 4 qualifying sessions!!!