Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 19 Oct 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1437708)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rFactor

Anybody here play rFactor? I've gotten quite into it. The F3 mod for it is fantastic.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1437727)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, got it on release day.

F3 mod is pretty good

Shame my system is too outdated to run it well though
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1446682)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, I've just bought rFactor on download. I've had a quick go and also downloaded the F3 mod. Are there any others I should take a look at.

Also, has anyone tried the multiplayer yet? Any good?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1446701)   #4
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No, but i've heard its really acurate and good to play.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1447599)   #5
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been playing it more than GTR at the moment, though only on the single seaters. looks stunning, and tried a few online races and had no problems.

Surely if you can run GTR you can run Rfactor? i think GTR is more demanding.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1447693)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rfactor is absolutely stunning visually and the physics seem awesome as well. Obviously it not as complete as GTR, but I'm really looking forward to some of the mods in the pipeline. It would be nice to have more tracks, but I guess its just a case of hurry up and wait.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1447715)   #7
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
Been playing it more than GTR at the moment, though only on the single seaters. looks stunning, and tried a few online races and had no problems.

Surely if you can run GTR you can run Rfactor? i think GTR is more demanding.
GTR is a directx 7 engine, whereas rFactor uses a directx 9.0c engine, allthough it gives the option to run a dx7 or dx8 zngine, if you don't have the power needed for dx9
Old 7 Jan 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1496966)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<bump>

rFactor is getting better and better. There's a Porsche mod out now that is truely stunning, its so much fun to play. And some spanking new tracks too including Brands and Essington, which has to be driven to be believed!
Old 7 Jan 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1496970)   #9
TCD
Racer

TCD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And good news for rFactor: WTCC 2005 and 2006 mod coming!
Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1499388)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of which, new rFactor version 1.070 is out now. You can download it from here (right click and save as...) http://www.timmcarthur.net/rFactorUpdate1070.exe
Old 11 Jan 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1499403)   #11
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I think i'll wait until it appears on the rfactor site.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1499574)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Its bonefide, honest Its on a few of the bigger forums and the main sites will be updated in a day or so. Its mainly avaliable via bittorrent atm, i think to try and ease the load of the rfactor servers so they don't die completly....
Old 12 Jan 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1499986)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After getting bored of GTR and its lack of mods, other than individual cars, I went back to F1C and downloaded the full Prototype C and recently released F1 74-75. Anyone who's played them will know they are fantastic and, IMO, far more enjoyable than GTR, purely because of the variety of cars.

I'm thinking of getting rFactor but I'll probably hold off until the summer. It's good to hear mods are starting to arrive.

Anyone have a list of the most anticipated mods due on rfactor?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1533467)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I am planning to get rFactor.

I was wondering on what the distinction between the three purchase option are.

Like the difference between buy-download and download-and-buy-ingame. Does it make any practical difference?

I assume the purchase the unlock code one is pointless, as you will just be making an extra step in the process?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1533484)   #15
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might well download rFactor myself, looks very good.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1533546)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
Rfactor is absolutely stunning visually and the physics seem awesome as well. Obviously it not as complete as GTR, but I'm really looking forward to some of the mods in the pipeline. It would be nice to have more tracks, but I guess its just a case of hurry up and wait.
The mods are starting to arrive. The Porsche Carrera Cup mod is pretty good which has come out since my last post above.

[Slightly OT]
I believe GTR 2 is using the same graphics engine which to me is the next big thing that I think I'll be buying probably on release day!
[/Slightly OT]
Old 1 Mar 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1533929)   #17
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, I am planning to get rFactor.

I was wondering on what the distinction between the three purchase option are.

Like the difference between buy-download and download-and-buy-ingame. Does it make any practical difference?

I assume the purchase the unlock code one is pointless, as you will just be making an extra step in the process?
I used the PayPal option in £ when I bought rFactor as it avoids the VAT charge with the credit card method (24.99 instead of 29.99). It's not as quick as using the other methods but ISI emailed me the unlock code in under 40 minutes so it's hard to complain.

With the newest patch offering NASCAR style stockcars and a new speedway along another update in the wings offering a fictional track through the Austrian Alps (with 5 layouts) and 2 new race cars now is a pretty good time to get rFactor as the 'standard' content it ships with is just getting better and better.

I did contemplate buying GT Legends instead but ultimately I think rFactor is going to work out as a better purchase thanks to the mods extending the lifespan - something that Simbin games has always lacked. The Spirit of '76 mod will stratch my itch to cane Capris around the track anyway.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1534118)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
I did contemplate buying GT Legends instead but ultimately I think rFactor is going to work out as a better purchase thanks to the mods extending the lifespan - something that Simbin games has always lacked. The Spirit of '76 mod will stratch my itch to cane Capris around the track anyway.
I got both, and love 'em for different reasons. ISI have sold the game engine of rFactor to the guys doing GTR2, so it will be a good game but due to the poor support received from simbin / blimey you wont catch me buying another of their games in a hurry...
Old 2 Mar 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1534857)   #19
Dave_G
Racer

United States
Vermont, USA
Dave_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
I did contemplate buying GT Legends instead but ultimately I think rFactor is going to work out as a better purchase thanks to the mods extending the lifespan
I think you've hit on an important point. IMHO it's the extreme moddability (is that a word?) of rFactor that sets it apart from all the others. It was designed from the start as a game that encouraged user-driven mods. The game has been out only a few months and we've already seen some spectacular mods. I especially like the PCC mod. And of course, the newly released shifter kart mod has to been tried to be believed. WOOHOO! We're seeing lots and lots of tracks coming out now too, some more true-to-life than others, but all fun.

The reason that GPL has lasted as long as it has (over 15 years!!) is because of the enormous user community that sprang up around it, due in large part I think to the ability to create tracks. rFactor has chosen to follow the same road and I think will enjoy similar success.

I should add that rFactor is the first sim to come along that has succeeded in pulling me away from GPL!
Old 2 Mar 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1534866)   #20
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G
The reason that GPL has lasted as long as it has (over 15 years!!)
I work it out at 8 years, released in 1998 was it not?
Old 2 Mar 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1534870)   #21
Dave_G
Racer

United States
Vermont, USA
Dave_G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
I work it out at 8 years, released in 1998 was it not?
Oops, yes, you're absolutely right. For some reason I thought it was released earlier than that. Oh well, 8 years is still pretty long for a computer game.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1535413)   #22
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G
And of course, the newly released shifter kart mod has to been tried to be believed. WOOHOO!
I tried the Superkart mod for the first time last night and it was like strapping a rocket to a baking tray. That mod has an utterly mental sense of speed.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1535546)   #23
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Ooooo.. I'll have to try that for a laugh.

With your backside scraping the floor it does look really fast!
Old 13 Mar 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1547504)   #24
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PCC and GP2 are great mods. There are also some fun tracks out there. I'm involved in starting up an rfactor league. PM me for details.