Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1039208)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why was Damon Hill so under-rated?

Why was Damon Hill so under-rated?

Ive just had a watch of Suzuka 1994 and I have to say, it was one of the really great drives I have seen. The driver? Damon Hill!

The race was on aggregate times. A win would take the title fight to the last round, defeat would mean almost certain loss of the title.

Under intense pressure from one TGF he slid that inferior Williams round the Degner curves like a man possessed, braked unbelievably deep into the hairpin and showed unbelievable commitment into the Spoon curve and Turns 1 and 2. In the end, he won by the smallest and most crucial of margins.

All in probably the worst conditions in the last ten years against the supposed rainmeister and the greatest ever driver (only statistically, mind ).

He then went on to pressure Michael into submission at Adelaide only to be involved in an unfortunate "collision" as a result of this. And of course, who could forget his title triumph of 1996 and Hungary 1997 and Spa 1998.

So what did people have against Damon Hill?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1039216)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think because he took to the sport late and that led people to believe he was a 'grafter' instead of just having natural talent. Also, being British, the UK press would often give him a hard time anyway, as they do with everyone.

Being in a Williams for 4 years in the mid-nineties and only winning one championship might have something to do with it as well! But he seemed to dip badly in '95.

Damon's always said his biggest regret is that he didn't start earlier.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1039217)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of it probably came from the fact he got to F1 at a late age, and in some people's minds came from nowhere to land a top drive at Williams.

In my opinion, there's no point in criticising him - as anyone who gets themselves into a position to be champion deserves praise - and he landed the top prize.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1039238)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peopel certainly didn't think he'd earnt the chance at Williams - he never won a F3000 race despite many comeptitive drives, looked 'quite good' at best in the Brabham, and gained a lot of publicity through being Graham Hill's son. The fact that he spun twice in his first race for them made it worse.

But when he got the drive, and over the next 4 years, he jsut wasn't Nigel Mansell. He didn't have the aggressive edge or overtaking skill, and somehow never galvanised the public in the same way - I think most people in Britain hated Schumacher rather than liking Hill after Adelaide.

The second half of 1995 really did his reputation a lot of damage. In those 8 races he collided with Schumacher twice (arguably both his fautl) and spun out of 3 races, all this in the best car. 1996 saw him with a massive car advantage over everyone except for a rookie, and he still made quite heavy work of the title. It has to be the least impressive championship of modern times.

There were some great Damon drives, certainly, and a surprising amount were in the wet. It's just that neither his on-track form or personality marked him out as a superstar, and he emerged at atime when F1 was starting to slip in the public affections.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1039248)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Disagree with your final line, Boots.

F1 was becoming more popular at that time.

1995 was the first year every race was live on the BBC.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1039255)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that was as much down to the reduced cost of international TV feeds and the loss of other sports events, rather than purely down to popularity. The Senna situation and resultant car changess caused a lot of bad publicity.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1039259)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

The Senna situation increased viewing figures, worldwide.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 21:57 (Ref:1039266)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever people may think of him, and I know he had a rough time at times some of it justified, but if it wasn't for him, Williams wouldn't have had such a good car for so long.

I think it was because he wasn't particularly spectacular in style behind the wheel. On many occasions the TV feed would be on-board during a qualifying lap and he would look really slow, but when he crossed the line he was pole. He was fast but didn't have 'flair'.

He had huge involvement in Mansell's championship and ultimately his own.

After he left (even taking the loss of Renault engines into consideration) Williams in all honesty haven't really made it back.

He did have some silly moments and 1996 was a nail-biting year. But I think he did deserve that title and I'm glad he got it.

Last edited by Spudgun; 17 Jul 2004 at 22:00.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1039270)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never really understood it.
When he won his title I was nine years old. That year for me was the most exciting year of F1 ever. I still relish the memories of it. Damon was really the only driver I could say was ever a "hero" to me.

I don't think he had any special flair, and yes, he made some stupid mistakes, but even so he was typically British, he made it to Champion, he could win races, and he was a damned nice guy.

Not really to do with his ability of course, but its all that really matters to me
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1039275)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You should have been around in 1976 pirenzo,that was an exciting year.
As for Damon I think most people thought he was there because of his name,but he proved he could certainlly drive.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1039278)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
My hat is off to anyone who wins the WDC, period. It takes skill, determination and focus to achieve that.

Damon, I believe, suffered from coming into it late. Much of his experience was as a test driver and his own driving style showed that (imho). He was not a great at overtaking, but certainly the lack of race experience was the main factor there as he could do it when he had to. He was a good tester, and his style belied that: smooth and steady and quick.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1039284)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never under-rated him... he was a hero to me... Damon was a great driver...

I think people are at times under ratew him because he won a WDC in a vastly superior car.... but i guess they havent seen Hungary 97 then...
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1039292)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's all the British Press to be honest. They're just so quick to shoot anyone down regardless. Just pick up a copy of the Sun on any given day.

They did the same to Mansell who is my hero, with Damon a very, very, very, almost as if you couldn't tell, second.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1039295)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always thought the press were absolutely, utterly appalling to Mansell, a hero to many including myself. He gave this country a lot only to be treated like dirt by certain parties.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1039299)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
want a big Nige fan... but still well said knowlesy
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1039302)   #16
BARFing mad
Rookie

BARFing mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting to compare the poor press that Nigel and Damon got after their carrers were over and the positive stuff when they were driving. I can't remember them getting a particularly hard time when they were competing for the championships. Do you think DC and Jenson are the next ones who need to be worrying about their press image when its time to hang up the helmet? (a more immediate concern for DC than Jense probably.....)
Old 17 Jul 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1039306)   #17
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
When it comes to anyone in the British Press the vultures are circulating.

'Sensation!' or 'Scandal!' sell papers. But then that brings the general public into scrutiny.

We're all damned!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1039314)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
When it comes to anyone in the British Press the vultures are circulating.

'Sensation!' or 'Scandal!' sell papers. But then that brings the general public into scrutiny.

We're all damned!
Yeah, and failing that some nonsense celebrity "disaster" will do
I saw one recently which was celebrity beach disasters. There was a picture of Cat Deeley getting splashed by a wave as she swam and apparently that was some major catastrophy:confused:
Old 18 Jul 2004, 07:06 (Ref:1039436)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some people over-rate Damon, some people under-rate Damon...end of the day, it balances of..

IMHO, i'm on the fence. He can be very good and competitive at times, but really a huge question mark at others..and i guess that's the main reason why many opinions on him are divided.

But praises first. He came in F1 late, and while it is due to some unfortunate events which gave him the chance to be the lead guy at Williams, it's unfortunate that many people directly compare him to Senna or simply brush him off.

There's no doubting he is a relatively hard worker, or rather, he got into his lead seat the harder way (when compared to JV, Button, JPM). He's pretty good at technical stuffs i suppose, and i think it basically balance off his disadvantage of raw talent/edge enjoyed by Senna, Michael, JV, three people he'd usually be compared with.

Some races are simply brilliant..as quite a few has already been quoted. And it is really the time in lesser cars such as the Jordan and Arrows which gave his abilities a good display. He can be impressive.

Unfortunately, what stopped him from being recognised along the great men like Senna/Michael is also his "difficulty" in winning WDCs, as well as his poor performances when he should have done a lot better. I think 1995 sealed his day at Williams..and although he did finally win in 1996 (deservingly), he did make it seem harder than it should. Don't get me wrong..i think it'd be a pity if DH left F1 without a title to his name..but in a year with a rookie teammate and no rivals in decent cars...he really should have creamed it easily.

All in all, one WDC is just fitting for a man like DH. Recognising that he's ultimately a good driver, even if not a great one. But he should never be brushed off.

He had it tough..he had to rough it out..and he's a pretty much likable figure... so all the best to Hill!

Last edited by Gt_R; 18 Jul 2004 at 07:09.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1039465)   #20
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
damon won 22 ish gp's - people say only because he had the best car .... so what, how many gp's has schumi won because he had the best car

great career damon for the time you where around - though i am sure the hill name got your foot in the door somewhere along the line....
Old 18 Jul 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1039486)   #21
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think at the end of the day, Damon won races in a Williams, Damon won races in a Jordan, and Damon won a race in an Arrows (you know what I mean).

How many other drivers in recent times have won races in multiple teams? Not many.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1039509)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Mind you the same can be said of Jenson Button.
He can't overtake or defend.
He seems to jump out of the way when someone comes behind him, and I have yet to see a brilliant overtaking manoover by him. The same went for Hill.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1039529)   #23
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hill is a produkt of the circumstances. Damon was terrific in going quickly in a good racingcar, but he was just awful when things didn't go his way. In some way, it is too bad for him ho got the WDC, because then people started to compare him to other WDC's and in that comparison, well, Hill doesn't really stand a chance. He is no Prost, no Senna, no Schumacher, not even a Nigel Mansell or Jacques Villeneuve. It is really no surprise that Hill, taking the title, was pushed away for the likes of Frentzen. That it didn't work out for Frentzen is besides that.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1039551)   #24
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
I always thought the press were absolutely, utterly appalling to Mansell, a hero to many including myself. He gave this country a lot only to be treated like dirt by certain parties.
don't get me wrong, i always liked mansell, but some of his press woes he brought on himself....i read an article some time back and one of the quotes summed him up fairly well, "Nigel, a problem for every solution"......anyhow, back to damon....as Johnssc said, hats off to anyone that can win a wdc and on his day he was a tough but to crack winning 22 gps is no easy feat....you'd almost have to compare him to his late father, the wonderful graham hill who also got into the sport late and who i think is probably one of the most underated drivers of all time....most people when putting together a top 10 list don't even think of him, yet he is the ONLY driver to win the WDC (twice i might add), indy 500, and the lemans 24 hours, not to mention the monaco gp 5 times.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1039572)   #25
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
It is really no surprise that Hill, taking the title, was pushed away for the likes of Frentzen. That it didn't work out for Frentzen is besides that.
Don't be too detrimental to Frentzen - remember, he was not only highly regarded in the paddock at the time, he had been top of Williams' shopping list for a couple of seasons when he eventually joined.

If you want to believe the rumours, Williams wanted him to take over Senna's car but HHF declined because he didn't want to leave Sauber in the lurch after Wendlinger's horrific smash in Monaco (so honoured his contract), and had it not been from pressure from Bernie to give the reigning JV a top seat in F1, HHF would have been a Williams driver in 1996.

As for Hill as a driver, I think he did a good job. He wasn't a great racer, which did catch him out on occassions (although anyone who can put an Arrows alongside a Ferrari at the Hungaroring and make the it stick can't be too bad at overtaking), but perhaps Hakkinen asides, I don't think there's been a driver since Hill who's been able to set up a car as well as he did and drive it quickly with flawless consistancy.

His time at Williams didn't really reflect how well he did IMO - 93 was a learning year (although I think he win more races than Patrese did in the 2nd Williams in 92, didn't he?), to be in a position to win the title in the last round of 94 after the team lost its star driver was a feat in itself, let alone that he was bloody unlucky not to win it in controversial circumstances - the only time I'd say questionmarks could be raised were in 95, when I think the fact he had the best car eventually got to him when things didn't come to him.

It's a shame Williams got shot of him for 97 - after he made the break through in 96, he seemed to go up another level (hence being able to take Jordon and almost Arrows to victories around "driver" circuits), and IMO had another championship or two in him.