Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Nov 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2983024)   #76
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Unless the 918 is pretty close to running I don't really understand the move. Don't get me wrong I'd punch a small child to see one in G56 in 2013 but by that time wouldn't they be better to be off testing tech on an LMP mule somewhere behind closed doors?

Unless it's able to pound around at VLN's/N24 all year I'm not sure why you would build a brand-new car just to go testing?

Saying that, I might be wide of the mark and kind of hope I am!

The reasoning behind the 918RSR "project" is that the GT3 was not a purpose built platform for the hybrid system. The 918, much like the future LMP1 car, is a purpose built platform. Porsche must feel that they need to gain more experience with their system in such a platform. This is typically Porsche. They are very methodical with every project that they undertake.
I do see many hurdles along the way. I am interested to see if and where they will race the car. I see an issue with the possible G56 position at Le Mans in 2013. By that time Toyota will have raced their hybrid car, and therefore the 918 will no longer be an innovative concept.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2983060)   #77
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's why I'm hoping it's ready for 2012 G56 position
Old 8 Nov 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2983168)   #78
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
That's why I'm hoping it's ready for 2012 G56 position
by Le Mans the hybrid concept will have already been introduced by Toyota and (likely) Peugeot, so again it isn't a "new" technology for G56.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2983346)   #79
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
by Le Mans the hybrid concept will have already been introduced by Toyota and (likely) Peugeot, so again it isn't a "new" technology for G56.
Heck, hybrids were already introduced to Le Mans with the Q9 Sparky the same season Porsche won their last overall victory at Le Mans. In terms of hybrids actually being in the race, well, that happened last year even without G56. The GreenGT and the Courage actually have some new technology that could preview real Le Mans cars 15-20 years from now just as Sparky did years ago, but nooooooo. Le Mans has to help Don Panoz sell some DeltaWangs with their cutting edge standalone ICE engine. Well, cutting edge for 1911 maybe.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 00:47 (Ref:2983353)   #80
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Heck, hybrids were already introduced to Le Mans with the Q9 Sparky the same season Porsche won their last overall victory at Le Mans. In terms of hybrids actually being in the race, well, that happened last year even without G56. The GreenGT and the Courage actually have some new technology that could preview real Le Mans cars 15-20 years from now just as Sparky did years ago, but nooooooo. Le Mans has to help Don Panoz sell some DeltaWangs with their cutting edge standalone ICE engine. Well, cutting edge for 1911 maybe.
R.E.A.M.S