Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jan 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2817247)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 European Championship 2011

Only a few months now until the GT3 season begins, so it now makes sense to have a general discussion thread.

First we have the Smolensikring in Russia as a brand new race. This will be the first international race in Russia, and Stephane Ratel has plans to use this race to help get a race for GT1 next year. Think the track will work for the GT3's then?

Here's a lap of the track.

Also Michelin will be providing the prize for this years champion. A €150,000 award and entry into the FIA GT1 World Championship.

We might even see a Chevy Camaro racing later in the year -Summer-, with Sareni United developing the car. More details should emerge at the end of the month. -Hopefully-

And here's the Calendar

7th and 8th of May - Autódromo Internacional do Algarve, Portugal
4th and 5th of June - Silverstone Circuit, United Kingdom
2nd and 3rd of July - Circuito de Navarra, Spain
16th and 17th of July - Circuit Paul Ricard, France
20th and 21st of August - Smolensk Ring, Russia
15th and 16th of October - Circuit Park Zandvoort, Netherlands

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 18 Jan 2011 at 10:32.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2817313)   #2
kfyork
Rookie

United States
Southeastern United States of N.America
kfyork should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After looking at that video I thought the track to be a bit narrow.

That is, until I recalled that the FIA Trucks raced there last summer...

Interesting use of land area.

Too, the SmolenskRing have their own YouTube channel here.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 03:31 (Ref:2817614)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Team NFS (Schubert) will do the full season with two BMW Z4s.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2817843)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think Smolensk will be alright for GT3s, but not great. The GT1s, however, should go somewhere else, because this place has no room for them to stretch their legs really.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 03:54 (Ref:2818089)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Money talks unfortunately..
Old 6 Feb 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2826907)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And here's something on compensation times.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2834422)   #7
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I understood, a GT3 team that participates in the endurance series, doesn't necessarily have to participate in the GT3 Championship.

And an article on Endurance-Info commented on how ADAC GT Masters is gradually eating into the FIA GT3 pack: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-5803.html
The preliminary entry list for GT Masters seems to include: Black Falcon, HEICO Motorsport, Mühlner Motorsport, Mamerow Racing, Team Abt Sportline, Phoenix Racing, Hegersport, Callaway Competition, etc.
Black Falcon, Mühlner and Callaway have raced in FIA GT3. Hopefully they'll continue to do both.

Anyways, right now the GT3 entry list looks pretty healthy:

- 2 Schubert BMW Z4
- 3 United Autosports Audi R8
- 2 MRS Plan Porsche 997 GT3 R
- 2 MS Racing Mercedes SLS AMG
- 2 Leipert Motorsport Lamborghini Gallardo LP600
- 1 Graff Mercedes SLS AMG (change from Corvette)
- 2 MTECH Ferrari F458 (with Matt Griffin included)
- 1 Scuderia Vittoria (Chad Racing) Ferrari F458

Still a couple of months to go though.
A few teams from last year haven't seemed to have posted their 'allegiance' yet.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 00:27 (Ref:2834426)   #8
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
From what I understood, a GT3 team that participates in the endurance series, doesn't necessarily have to participate in the GT3 Championship.

And an article on Endurance-Info commented on how ADAC GT Masters is gradually eating into the FIA GT3 pack: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-5803.html
The preliminary entry list for GT Masters seems to include: Black Falcon, HEICO Motorsport, Mühlner Motorsport, Mamerow Racing, Team Abt Sportline, Phoenix Racing, Hegersport, Callaway Competition, etc.
Black Falcon, Mühlner and Callaway have raced in FIA GT3. Hopefully they'll continue to do both.

Anyways, right now the GT3 entry list looks pretty healthy:

- 2 Schubert BMW Z4
- 3 United Autosports Audi R8
- 2 MRS Plan Porsche 997 GT3 R
- 2 MS Racing Mercedes SLS AMG
- 2 Leipert Motorsport Lamborghini Gallardo LP600
- 1 Graff Mercedes SLS AMG (change from Corvette)
- 2 MTECH Ferrari F458 (with Matt Griffin included)
- 1 Scuderia Vittoria (Chad Racing) Ferrari F458

Still a couple of months to go though.
A few teams from last year haven't seemed to have posted their 'allegiance' yet.
How is that "eating" into the European GT3 if most of the teams you just mentioned are German based or in close proximity to Germany????
Old 21 Feb 2011, 01:15 (Ref:2834437)   #9
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"gradually eating"

You know, the word "gradually" adds something to the point? It means something that is in progress. The fact that some German teams still compete in the series is only half of the news. A few teams may or may not have jumped to GT Masters in detriment of FIA GT (I have not seen anywhere that any of those teams in GT Masters will also do FIA GT campaigns). That has an impact in itself.

I see how you raise your post count.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 01:21 (Ref:2834439)   #10
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
"gradually eating"

You know, the word "gradually" adds something to the point? It means something that is in progress. The fact that some German teams still compete in the series is only half of the news. A few teams may or may not have jumped to GT Masters in detriment of FIA GT (I have not seen anywhere that any of those teams in GT Masters will also do FIA GT campaigns). That has an impact in itself.

I see how you raise your post count.
I was just asking how you come to that conclusion that's all it has nothing to do with increasing my post count have never been out for that. Considering long I've been here and that I was banned from posting for over two years I doubt my post count would be much higher.

I was just pointing out where most of the GT3 teams seem to come from and it would just a dash of common sense to see teams looking to increase car counts in GT Masters and decease them in the Euro series.

That's like saying the retooled FFSA GT series (GT Tour) will have an impact on GT3 Euro sealing SRO/Ratel's doom.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2834817)   #11
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
If you had, say, 20 German teams, and 10 of them left to GT Masters or VLN, ya, you still have 10 from Germany, but you lost 10. Therefore, some other championship is eating away at the entry list.
Clutter of championships is always pretty bad for everyone. I have no interest in finding excuses for Ratatouille, GT Masters, GT Open, FFSA or VLN.

I'd just prefer having 3 championships with 25/30+ grids then 8 with 15-20 each.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2836209)   #12
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy
leglizone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Monza Raiter and other Dunlop teams are testing for one day. Raiter is running the new Gallardo Lp600 for 2011 Gt3 season with little aerodynamic adjustments, a Gallardo Trofeo and a 2010 Gt3.
The other teams are BMW Motorsport with Priaulx and one Gt2 and Luxury Racing with a brend new Ford Mustang Gt3.

Old 24 Feb 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2836236)   #13
gino
Racer

Germany
Berlin-Brandenburg
gino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leglizone View Post
In Monza Raiter and other Dunlop teams are testing for one day. Raiter is running the new Gallardo Lp600 for 2011 Gt3 season with little aerodynamic adjustments, a Gallardo Trofeo and a 2010 Gt3.
The other teams are BMW Motorsport with Priaulx and one Gt2 and Luxury Racing with a brend new Ford Mustang Gt3.
You have more pics about the test??
Old 24 Feb 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2836382)   #14
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy

A new Ford Mustang Gt3

Lamborghini Gallardo Trofeo
Old 25 Feb 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2836934)   #15
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy
[QUOTE=leglizone;2836209]In Monza Raiter and other Dunlop teams are testing for one day. Raiter is running the new Gallardo Lp600 for 2011 Gt3 season with little aerodynamic adjustments, a Gallardo Trofeo and a 2010 Gt3.

QUOTE]

Errata corrige: The Ford Mustang was the Marc VDS Racing Team ones, even if there where the Luxury Racing team truck in the paddock.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2840066)   #16
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Is it a new GT3 car?
http://www.caradisiac.com/L-insolite...T600-66641.htm
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2840073)   #17
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Ford GT is alive. Fischer will enter 2 in the championship: http://www.motorstv.com/car/gt/fia-g...ing-in-fia-gt3
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2840074)   #18
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Seems like it's a successor of the MT900 which is still running in British GT this season.

More info on Mosler's website: http://www.mosler.co.uk/mosler/race.asp
Already debuted last year in Japan's Super GT series or in the Britcar 24 hours.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2840080)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Not a GT3, see the full specs here...

The way I see it, this car is mostly intended as a rival of the Acquila...
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2840092)   #20
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2841751)   #21
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any rule of minimum number of participants? I mean, it's rather expensive to travel to Smolensk, and we have no national series of GT level to fill the grid.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2841780)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Is there any rule of minimum number of participants? I mean, it's rather expensive to travel to Smolensk, and we have no national series of GT level to fill the grid.
Nope, and with the new Blancpain Endurance Series around grids in GT3 might not be all that great this year... mid-20s for the good rounds, I supposse, probably somewhat less for Smolensk.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2841801)   #23
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reason why I'm so worried - I've talked to some people from a russian team that could enter at last two Ferraris, and they said, all is very tricky now. They'd better concentrate at Spa 24h. If even our team thinks so, what others should say. I really want to watch those races alive, the very first case when European GT champ comes here. And if starting grid is less than in RTCC it would be pity. Well, at least there will be something racing, so it's already not that bad.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2842055)   #24
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
Endurance Info reported on their facebook page that this series would have around 30 entries. No list yet though.

But from my counting of the news I found, it's at 19.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2842506)   #25
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Endurance Info reported on their facebook page that this series would have around 30 entries. No list yet though.

But from my counting of the news I found, it's at 19.
Stephane said 30-32 yesterday