Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jul 2011, 06:12 (Ref:2925864)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
3D printer

Not really motorsport related ..... but this is one hell of a tool , and Im sure this would be useful in the motorsports industry . For example , mating a gearbox to an engine , produced by differant companies in differant countries .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

This is truely amazing technology .
Old 13 Jul 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2925903)   #2
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3D printers have been used in motorsports and many other industries for years to produce product prototypes.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2925926)   #3
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RP parts have been used for a while:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/0...-rp-materials/

I think this is an area that will grow a lot in the next few years, RP parts can be produced really fast when compared to CF, so teams can trial lots of variations of a part in a short period of time, etc.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2925934)   #4
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
RP parts have been used for a while:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/0...-rp-materials/

I think this is an area that will grow a lot in the next few years, RP parts can be produced really fast when compared to CF, so teams can trial lots of variations of a part in a short period of time, etc.
They've been around even longer than that. Practical aspects of the technology goes back to the '80s.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2925949)   #5
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some pictures of the AMR-One engine with RP parts.

Old 13 Jul 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2925977)   #6
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other one in use is DMLS, where a layer of powdered metal is etched with a higher powered laser in the same kind of way, producing a sintered metal product....fascinating stuff...

A few years ago (between '95 and '00 I was in a job that meant I spent a fair bit of time at Williams GPE (as they were then) and Williams Motorsport in Didcot and at Grove - they used SLS a lot then for prototyping parts for the cars
Old 13 Jul 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2925990)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In 10 years time you go to www.lolacars.com and download a 3d CAD file and print your own 1:1 Lola LMP1 car.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2926024)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
There are some pictures of the AMR-One engine with RP parts.

But understand that the rapid prototype parts in this case are only being used for packaging installation. They simply can't handle the heat. And even the laser sintered metal "flavor" of rapid prototype has its limitations and can't handle the stress and pressure (Yet. I can imagine that's the direction they're trying to head). 5 years ago we were using FDM RP parts on the Panoz wind tunnel models here and there. Again, the RP parts had their limitations as they more often than not were fragile and flexible. So we used them in areas where it didn't matter so much (brake ducts come to mind). And we weren't by ANY means on the cutting edge. Far from it in fact.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2926068)   #9
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me the most interesting thing about 3D printing is not the high end rapid prototyping machines which have been around for decades but the fact that at the other end of the market we are just coming to the point where the ordinary punter can afford one at home. I think 3D printing is set to begin a steady march into people's homes, it'll start with hobbyists who build models and want bespoke parts and grow from there as people work out what the applications really are.

People are also working on printing new organs for transplant, now that's a worthwhile project.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2926272)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

The key item in this discussion is the material. It is a polymer and not suited for anything requiring physical strength or heat resistance. .
Old 15 Jul 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2927086)   #11
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
The key item in this discussion is the material. It is a polymer and not suited for anything requiring physical strength or heat resistance. .
Take a look at http://www.shapeways.com/materials/ - they print in metal, and thats just for a cheap consumer-facing type of printing. I have no idea what is actually possible with more expensive printers in terms of metal.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2927092)   #12
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
You can 3D print a huge range of materials in a number of different processes. There is even a system for 3D printing houses out of artificial sandstone! Of course in this case you assemble a large printer where you want your house, print it and then pack your printer up and re-erect it where you want the next house, It also leaves your house full of sand which you have to shovel out! The guys working on printing organs are printing in living cells. Sintered ceramics, polymers and a limited range of metals are currently possible too. There are also people experimenting with printing food.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2927106)   #13
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As already stated, resin curing and paper layer type of processes were well known in the 90s. The machines were expensive and expensive to run but very useful in the motor industry and other places. When I last had any sort of contact with this subject (late 90s), there were already starch printers using ink jet technology. The promise was that prices below £10000 were imminent and they would be in every drawing office and then.......silence. Looks like it's all starting to become interesting again now. Some of the stuff regarding organ printing and impregnating the prototype with stem cells is really tremendous!

Scott
Old 16 Jul 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2927271)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post
As already stated, resin curing and paper layer type of processes were well known in the 90s. The machines were expensive and expensive to run but very useful in the motor industry and other places. When I last had any sort of contact with this subject (late 90s), there were already starch printers using ink jet technology. The promise was that prices below £10000 were imminent and they would be in every drawing office and then.......silence. Looks like it's all starting to become interesting again now. Some of the stuff regarding organ printing and impregnating the prototype with stem cells is really tremendous!

Scott
You can now get table top FDM machines for around $15,000:

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-...ng-uprint.aspx
Old 16 Jul 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2927316)   #15
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is extremely cool.

Chris
Old 16 Jul 2011, 05:08 (Ref:2927317)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
You can now get table top FDM machines for around $15,000:

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-...ng-uprint.aspx
Or if you are into a bit of DIY and just want something, shall we say, basic you can build your own very cheaply http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
Old 16 Jul 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2927383)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Or if you are into a bit of DIY and just want something, shall we say, basic you can build your own very cheaply http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
Yes, I've seen that one. Isn't it awesome!
Old 28 Jul 2011, 04:31 (Ref:2932001)   #18
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
BBC News article on 3D printing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14282091
Old 28 Jul 2011, 05:52 (Ref:2932010)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
you can even print in Chocolate now! ummmm

First time I saw a rapid prototyping machine was in the early 90's, so they have been around for quite a while.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 06:04 (Ref:2932013)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh Jasus ..... dont mention that to my wife ffs , mind you , I'd save a small fortune !!!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2933555)   #21
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who knows, maybe a fully printed LMP next?

Southampton engineers fly the world’s first ‘printed’ aircraft
Old 26 Nov 2011, 04:13 (Ref:2991471)   #22
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
Thread bump...

I got myself an early xmas present and ordered a 3d print of an "r18-like" engine model i made (not enough reference material of the real thing available for it to really be accurate). It cost around $50 all up, and its 8.5x12.5cm. The level of detail in the print is pretty amazing considering how small the whole model is.