Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3273750)   #1051
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The only one I can think of is Indycar. I never remember Firestone having a problem.
The concept of control tyres and option tyres was introduced by Champcar in 2004. It was later adopted by IndyCar before the merger and continues to work well.

This whole business with Pirelli has been made overly complex, with all the various compounds and why have so many if testing is limited? Why not just have a hard and a soft compound and keep it simple?
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3273754)   #1052
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The concept of control tyres and option tyres was introduced by Champcar in 2004. It was later adopted by IndyCar before the merger and continues to work well.

This whole business with Pirelli has been made overly complex, with all the various compounds and why have so many if testing is limited? Why not just have a hard and a soft compound and keep it simple?

Because thats what they do in IndyCar.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3273758)   #1053
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I thought that it was unfair that the other Bridgestone teams got Ferrari's hand-me-downs, back in the day. McLaren and Williams also got the best of what Michelin had to offer. Thus, there were only ever going to be three teams in it. As it turned out, there was just one. Who would have thought?
The FIA did not mandate teams to use either Michelin or Bridgestone tyres and did not prevent other tyre manufactures to enter.

Quote:
McLaren and Williams also got the best of what Michelin had to offer.
Although Williams and McLaren did have the biggest budgets and received a special treatment, they did not win a single championship. Renault won four championships instead.

Quote:

Michelin and Bridgestone were pretty much testing tyres around the clock, all year long. Bridgestone were doing 50,000 kms of testing before the season had even started!

Imagine two tyre manufacturers going head to head with little or no tyre testing. Doesn't even stand thinking about.
It worth mentioning, that in 2005 Michelin did not have any knowledge about the new surface the Indianapolis Motor Speedway had.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3273765)   #1054
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Because thats what they do in IndyCar.
Because it works, which clearly it doesn't in F1.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:47 (Ref:3273766)   #1055
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Why not just have a hard and a soft compound and keep it simple?
During Bridgestones final year (2010) with F1, they used "a hard and a soft compound", but still managed to screw things up for Canada. But by screwing up in Canada, F1 (that's everyone, including the fans) had found a way to put an end to the processional races that had gone on before, and after Canada.

For a series with just a 2 hour race duration limit, rock hard tyres aren't really worth bothering with, unless you want to use the same set of tyres all season long, in which case it would most definitely become a 'tyre formula'.

F1 ain't endurance racing.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3273770)   #1056
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
During Bridgestones final year (2010) with F1, they used "a hard and a soft compound", but still managed to screw things up for Canada. But by screwing up in Canada, F1 (that's everyone, including the fans) had found a way to put an end to the processional races that had gone on before, and after Canada.

For a series with just a 2 hour race duration limit, rock hard tyres aren't really worth bothering with, unless you want to use the same set of tyres all season long, in which case it would most definitely become a 'tyre formula'.

I don't remember Canada 2010 being much of a screw up.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3273866)   #1057
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

100% agreed. I don't understand where this sudden panic for road relevance has come from in the world of F1. Shouldn't it be the complete opposite?

FIA has control over four key cornerstones of motorsport. Single seaters, sports cars, touring cars and rally cars. Shouldn't each and every segment concentrate on something different for the benefit of everyone?

Road relevance belongs in other categories, and they can do a better job of it. F1 cars should be built to go fast, with the best drivers doing nothing but trying to be faster than everyone else. It's a simple formula, and the pinnacle of motor racing in many aspects.

Because F1 holds a much greater slice of the motorsport cake than it used to, it's trying to be all things to all people. As a result, it's starting to fail in almost every aspect you'd care to mention. Yes, the best drivers remain at the very top teams, but in the mid field there's a worrying overlap in talent with over categories. I won't go into names, but there are plenty of drivers in F1 who couldn't hold a candle to well over a dozen drivers doing something else...

The current tire situation epitomises the haphazard approach the series has taken. On one level, the sport wants to be green and environmentally friendly, but then it has tired which last but a fraction of what is possible with the technology out there in some sort of bid to spice up the action, which hasn't worked.

But only in F1 could a company like Pirelli spend millions on what seems to be a PR disaster, yet have them coming back for more. It's a power that is starting to be abused though.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3273867)   #1058
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm amazed in the safety obsessed world that F1 lives in that the FIA are seemingly "ok" with the massive amount of marbles produced off the racing line. In the past we have seen several big accidents directly attributed to the amount of debris off line.
I have often thought the same thing concerning marbles..This is why I believe that Pirelli should be producing a range of tyres that they are comfortable with and should be given the time required to test their compounds properly..

I will repeat what I believe to be the truth and that is that Pirelli can produce as good a product as any other tyre manufacturer..

In a sport which is considered the *pinnacle* of motor racing it never ceases to amaze me how amateurish it can appear at times..

Only now that there seems to have been a major problem with tyres exploding at Silverstone do the FIA step in to monitor the situation..
Old 4 Jul 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3273894)   #1059
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
In a sport which is considered the *pinnacle* of motor racing it never ceases to amaze me how amateurish it can appear at times..
exactly.

i think part of the problem with the pirelli deal in f1 (also gp2 and gp3) is that it's been more than just a tyre supply deal. first and foremost it seems to be a commercial arrangement. perhaps i looked at the sport differently back then, but i never got the impression about any of the other tyre manufacturers.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3273911)   #1060
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
exactly.

i think part of the problem with the pirelli deal in f1 (also gp2 and gp3) is that it's been more than just a tyre supply deal. first and foremost it seems to be a commercial arrangement. perhaps i looked at the sport differently back then, but i never got the impression about any of the other tyre manufacturers.
Yes bella I think you hit the nail on the head, It appears far more about *brand* recognition than anything else, or maybe it was just a lot more subtle back in the day ?
Old 4 Jul 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3273985)   #1061
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The threat of a boycott hasn't vanished, both Autosport and the BBC are carrying similar stories.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108538

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23190671
Old 4 Jul 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3273993)   #1062
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I have often thought the same thing concerning marbles..This is why I believe that Pirelli should be producing a range of tyres that they are comfortable with and should be given the time required to test their compounds properly..
You get marbles in any form of motorsport - I remember having some interesting moments at both Cadwell and Snet where going offline meant braking distances suddenly increased due to marbles, much to my detriment.

Even with the ROAD tyres we used to use in Locost (I've been out for 5 years - no idea what they use now) when you came in from a 15minute race the rubber was ripping off the edges of the tread to form marbles. They also got pretty damn hot!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3274029)   #1063
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice pictures showing some teams swapping left/right tyres. I thought they were doing it only with the rears but apparently the fronts are swapped too.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos...tyre-swapping/
Old 4 Jul 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3274046)   #1064
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren claim that they were running within the specified limits set by Pirelli for pressure & camber??????

There was no mention of swapping tyre left to right though.

Hmmm......

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/193158/...li_limits.html
Old 4 Jul 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3274048)   #1065
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The threat of a boycott hasn't vanished, both Autosport and the BBC are carrying similar stories.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108538

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23190671

This is turning into a 2005-like drama...

If Pirelli doesn't get the problem solved by Nurburgring, then things may fall into shambles. Does Formula 1 have any idea of a new tire manufacturer in case Pirelli can't get the issue sorted?
Old 4 Jul 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3274049)   #1066
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
We love drama.....
Old 5 Jul 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3274079)   #1067
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We love drama.....
Lots of drama queens around here...
Old 5 Jul 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3274085)   #1068
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
The FIA did not mandate teams to use either Michelin or Bridgestone tyres and did not prevent other tyre manufactures to enter.
The FIA also didn't mandate how much money any team, or any tyre manufacturer, could spend on tyre testing, thus creating an uneven playing field from the very beginning.

Quote:
Although Williams and McLaren did have the biggest budgets and received a special treatment, they did not win a single championship. Renault won four championships instead.
My point still stands. Renault were, and still are (Lotus), a 'top team'.

Quote:
It worth mentioning, that in 2005 Michelin did not have any knowledge about the new surface the Indianapolis Motor Speedway had.
Therefore suggesting that some homework wasn't done.

Quote:
I don't remember Canada 2010 being much of a screw up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Canadian_Grand_Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
100% agreed. I don't understand where this sudden panic for road relevance has come from in the world of F1. Shouldn't it be the complete opposite?

FIA has control over four key cornerstones of motorsport. Single seaters, sports cars, touring cars and rally cars. Shouldn't each and every segment concentrate on something different for the benefit of everyone?

Road relevance belongs in other categories, and they can do a better job of it. F1 cars should be built to go fast, with the best drivers doing nothing but trying to be faster than everyone else. It's a simple formula, and the pinnacle of motor racing in many aspects.

Because F1 holds a much greater slice of the motorsport cake than it used to, it's trying to be all things to all people. As a result, it's starting to fail in almost every aspect you'd care to mention. Yes, the best drivers remain at the very top teams, but in the mid field there's a worrying overlap in talent with over categories. I won't go into names, but there are plenty of drivers in F1 who couldn't hold a candle to well over a dozen drivers doing something else...

The current tire situation epitomises the haphazard approach the series has taken. On one level, the sport wants to be green and environmentally friendly, but then it has tired which last but a fraction of what is possible with the technology out there in some sort of bid to spice up the action, which hasn't worked.

But only in F1 could a company like Pirelli spend millions on what seems to be a PR disaster, yet have them coming back for more. It's a power that is starting to be abused though.

Quote:
Only now that there seems to have been a major problem with tyres exploding at Silverstone do the FIA step in to monitor the situation..
They have stepped in because there is now a safety issue. They cannot step in because there are marbles (which is different to "debris") on the track, or that the tyres only last for 10 laps.

Quote:
exactly.

I think that it is a commercial arrangement. The FIA are telling Pirelli exactly what they should be doing with regard to the 'sporting' nature of the tyres in each series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

If Pirelli doesn't get the problem solved by Nurburgring, then things may fall into shambles. Does Formula 1 have any idea of a new tire manufacturer in case Pirelli can't get the issue sorted?

Whatever happens, Pirelli do have tyres with which to go racing. The chances of another tyre manufacturer stepping in to make tyres for this weekends GP, or for the rest of the season, are slim to nil.

Quote:
We love drama.....
We do.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3274090)   #1069
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.pitpass.com/49432-Drivers-threaten-to-boycott-race

"We trust that the changes made to the tyres will have the desired results and that similar problems will not occur during the German GP weekend.

"However, the drivers have decided that, if similar problems should manifest themselves during the German GP, we shall immediately withdraw from the event, as this avoidable problem with the tyres endangers again the lives of drivers, marshals and fans."
Old 5 Jul 2013, 03:10 (Ref:3274098)   #1070
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good approach by the drivers. No matter who is right or wrong in this or how political the matter is, ultimately it is them who are driving and risking being involved in an accident.

Anyway it seems Pirelli is not going anywhere next year. After all this controversy maybe they've learnt some lessons and it's a good thing that they stay.
They won't be tricked twice.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3274129)   #1071
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is evidence that teams are "swapping" tires

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-fotos/...25886/#/225887
Old 5 Jul 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3274174)   #1072
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

you've got this the wrong way around.

if the TEAMS don't stop doing things that are outside of the operating parameters of the tyres then things will turn shambolic. in pirelli's defence, i think this is exactly why they need more testing time with current cars. unfortunately, in testing the maximum operating ranges for things like camber and pressure they will be handing intelligence to the team that they're testing with.

with regards to the silverstone failures, hamilton's one looked like the product of uber-camber and catching an inside kerb. it was quite an unusual failure. the rest, being on the outside were perhaps more likely to be the result of running beyond another tolerance. i'm no engineer, so i can't figure out which side would have been under the most load, but i bet if you do the maths it's the side that failed. and that side is meant to be on the inside of the tyre, not the outside.

of course teams need to experiment to find what works best with their car. but if they design such a poor handling chassis that they need to run the tyres to extremes to get any grip whatsoever they really owe their drivers and their tyre supplier an honest public answer about what caused them.

i'd take mclaren declaring their innocence with a pinch of salt. a big one. as wolfhound says, there's no mention of swapping tyres, and imo if they're asymmetrical enough to make it beneficial then it will undoubtably be taking a reasonably big risk on the faster circuits like silverstone.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3274181)   #1073
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
If you read the section on qualifying, the screw up wasn't just down to the tyres but to the weather, washing away what rubber had been laid down on the Friday session and the rules, which dictated, drivers must start the race on the tyres they set their best qualifying time on. It's never down to just one thing.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3274184)   #1074
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
if the TEAMS don't stop doing things that are outside of the operating parameters of the tyres then things will turn shambolic.
This is the bit I'm struggling with - Pirelli give the teams the tyres and tell them the recommended pressures range to run them at. The teams then run the tyres mounted the opposite way to intended and with pressures different to the advice from Pirelli. The tyres then fail and somehow it's Pirellis fault? Oh dear.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3274186)   #1075
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
If you read the section on qualifying, the screw up wasn't just down to the tyres but to the weather, washing away what rubber had been laid down on the Friday session and the rules, which dictated, drivers must start the race on the tyres they set their best qualifying time on. It's never down to just one thing.
No, it isn't down to just one thing. My point being, is it ever going to be the case that any tyres you take to a GP are always going to do what you think they are supposed to do?

Bridegestone turned up to a GP with ultra conservative tyres that they thought would be good in any conditions except, of course, for rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
This is the bit I'm struggling with - Pirelli give the teams the tyres and tell them the recommended pressures range to run them at. The teams then run the tyres mounted the opposite way to intended and with pressures different to the advice from Pirelli. The tyres then fail and somehow it's Pirellis fault? Oh dear.
They need to mark the tyres with things like: 'THIS DIRECTION ONLY >' 'MINIMUM TYRE PRESSURE #' 'MAXIMUM CAMBER ANGLE #' etc.