Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 27 Sep 2002, 08:09 (Ref:389568)   #1
Organza_Rose
Rookie

Organza_Rose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Park

Hi everyone

As you can probably guess - im new here!

Basically what has brought me here, is the fact that my boyfriend and myself have tickets for the Touring Cars at Donington on 5&6th October.

Now i like my fast cars, i'm a big F1 fan my b/f touring cars ... the problem being we have never been to a race meeting!

I need some advice and tips and everything else you can think of ....

PLEASE

Thanks

Organza Rose
Old 27 Sep 2002, 09:32 (Ref:389611)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take warm waterproof clothes incase it rains, take a camera, take some food if you dont like burgers/hotdogs. And wander around everywhere, including the paddock. I usually carry a small sports bag for clothes/food etc.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 09:37 (Ref:389616)   #3
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take your car on to the infield. Even if you can't watch from it at least you don't have to lug everything around all day.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 12:10 (Ref:389726)   #4
Organza_Rose
Rookie

Thanx guys

I wasnt aware you could go into the paddock????
Old 27 Sep 2002, 14:12 (Ref:389811)   #5
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it's not F1, the public tend to have full access to the paddock, and it's far easier to talk to drivers & team personell there than it is in a hurriedly arranged Pit lane walkabout that the BTCC always holds (I don't know if the ETCC has such a system).

Here's another tip. The best view of the track can be had from Holloywood (unless you have a grandstand seat at the very top of the start/finish straight's stand.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 16:39 (Ref:389974)   #6
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by O'Schumacher
As long as it's not F1, the public tend to have full access to the paddock, and it's far easier to talk to drivers & team personell there than it is in a hurriedly arranged Pit lane walkabout that the BTCC always holds (I don't know if the ETCC has such a system).

Here's another tip. The best view of the track can be had from Holloywood (unless you have a grandstand seat at the very top of the start/finish straight's stand.
There is no Pit walkabout at FIA GT's this weekend, Etcc teams will be operating out of thier awnings in the paddock, so a good opportunity to get close to the cars.

As for watching, try the old hairpin, but it might get busy quickly.

But I would stress Warm clothes, Waterproofs and Stout footwear. But above all, have fun.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 17:33 (Ref:390023)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Welcome Rose, thought this would be better moved from Touring Cars to Trackside.

I'm second everything said above. Warm clothes, good shoes, food are all essential. Don't know for definate if the radio will be broadcasting (should be) but take a portable AM radio if you have one. The PA at Donny is quiet enough in places, with the GTs out you'll have no chance of hearing it.

No pit walkabout but definately take a wander around the paddock. As for viewing points, outside and inside of Old Hairpin are good, as is Redgate, Goddards and Melbourne hairpin. The GT race is 3 hours so there should be plenty of time to wander around.

One last thing, as it's an FIA meeting expect fairly long delays between races.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 17:45 (Ref:390034)   #8
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have never been to donington before on ITV saturday there is the BTCC from last week on. This will give you a good look at the track and were people stand (and were cars tend to spin)
Agree with redshoes about were to stand and have a good look around the whole paddock as there will be lots in there not just the ETCC
Old 28 Sep 2002, 22:08 (Ref:390759)   #9
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get there early and check out the place, walk right around the track and pick some spots you might think are good for viewing, watching them enter the first corner and streaming down cascades is quite good.

Enjoy yourself.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 22:25 (Ref:390769)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Calcium means the Craner Curves. If you stand at Cascades you'll be at the wrong circuit...
Old 29 Sep 2002, 08:59 (Ref:390949)   #11
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol.... don`t forget to get to the outside of the craners, you will have to walk behind Redgate ( first bend) to get there, obvious for those that have been before i know..
May be more action at cascades
Old 29 Sep 2002, 15:22 (Ref:391184)   #12
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
errr ,yes thanks for that Ian, sorry.

(Didn't you know that this year they are taking a de-tour to Cheshire!! )
Old 29 Sep 2002, 15:37 (Ref:391204)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
We're not competing this weekend (sadly!) but you might find our page helpful anyway:

http://www.yorkcityracing.com/circuits/3.php
Old 30 Sep 2002, 21:17 (Ref:392545)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I were spectating, this is what I'd do. Start at Hollywood (the spot where you can see all down the Craners - there's a sort of Grandstand thingy for the supporters club). You can place yourself near there. After half an hour or so of the GTs, start wandering down the Craners and past the Old Hairpin, and do a tour of the circuit so you get to see the GTs from everywhere. It breaks the 3 hours up a bit. Nip around the back of the Convention Centre so that you're on the outside of the Esses (at the top of the hill where you can see the Esses and the Melbourne Hairpin) for the start of the ETCC race 1, because they're bound to bang into each othere through there. If you have paddock passes you can go into the back of the paddock from the Hairpin, down to the far end and back to Redgate for race 2, the TVRs and the Zip formula. Take your own lunch box so you can eat wherever you are, good shoes or boots, and lots of layers, at least one of which should be waterproof and can double up as a rug to sit on. A radio is useful - one that tunes to 1602 MW, then you can always hear the commentary and keep up with the race. Above all, enjoy yourselves, because F1 style procession it ain't! If you want information or advice once you're there, ask the Marshals who'll be happy to pass on their experience. You never know, it might be me!
Old 1 Oct 2002, 07:11 (Ref:392782)   #15
Organza_Rose
Rookie

Thanx guy - this is all really helpful stuff!

I know we are gonna have a great time!
Old 2 Oct 2002, 12:33 (Ref:393974)   #16
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey! Hey!
Aren't we forgetting something? The Clio Trophy will be racing at 4.30 on Saturday, you will need to be at the Esses I would imagine for the best view, and you better come and introduce yourself in the Paddock sometime beforehand: Car 33, Autosport Promotion team, no-one speaks English so collar and mechanic and say "Rick?", if he shrugs, I am not there, else he'll point!
RickP
Old 2 Oct 2002, 21:37 (Ref:394408)   #17
rick vaux
Racer

I hope Rick you don`t do the same at the esses as you did at copse, twice...do i need to say more.... Wasn`t there a song in the 80s !
Old 7 Oct 2002, 22:00 (Ref:397917)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rick, nice to meet you on Saturday, you were as welcoming as you professed. I was very impressed with the doughnut spin on the slow down lap. Not quite as much fun as the one all down the Craners in the morning, but no doubt you did that one on purpose as well?! Good luck at Estoril. I suggest full wets...
Old 7 Oct 2002, 22:18 (Ref:397937)   #19
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's always a pleasure to meet up with Rick and his missus. There's always a bit of drama. This time - can they get a new timing belt on in time, the answer was, just!!
Old 8 Oct 2002, 13:42 (Ref:398363)   #20
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, at one point by dint of having someone totally submerged in the engine bay with only his feet sticking out, and at another point having a delicately balanced mechanic with one foot on the top of an axle stand, and the other foot, snooker player-style, positioned on the window sill!!
Old 8 Oct 2002, 20:30 (Ref:398661)   #21
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know - he must have been so uncomfortable - one comment made was what part of his anatomy he was using to hold on with
Old 8 Oct 2002, 20:51 (Ref:398668)   #22
rick vaux
Racer

Could the budget Rick not stretch to four slick tyres ?
Old 9 Oct 2002, 17:33 (Ref:399516)   #23
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Organza_Rose, how did you get on?
Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:22 (Ref:399627)   #24
rick vaux
Racer

She probably didn`t go after all this.....
Old 10 Oct 2002, 20:42 (Ref:400661)   #25
Organza_Rose
Rookie

Hi guys .... yes i did go and had a fantastic time.

Took your suggestions ... went in the paddock, tried your ideas about where to watch on the circuit ... took lots of pics, even looked out for Rick in his Clio!!!

Overall had an absolutely amazing few days .... enjoyed it throughly, thanx for all the advice and suggestions!

Cant wait for the next meeting.