Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Cool Sites

Old 15 Jul 2003, 15:25 (Ref:661917)   #1
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos from Goodwood

Thoroughly enjoyed myself again. Here are some of my photos from this weekends event - hope you like them...

http://www.pbase.com/smarjoram/goodwood_fos_2003

Last edited by stefan; 15 Jul 2003 at 15:31.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 15:33 (Ref:661922)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent Stefan! I had a look at a few of your great shots and will have a proper look later. Roll on the revival..
Old 16 Jul 2003, 03:57 (Ref:662472)   #3
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan
Great photos. I notice that JPG DSCN9858 is a pic of the 'Rollerskate' AVS Shadow. Did this run or was it a static display?. Thanks.
Mick
Old 16 Jul 2003, 07:26 (Ref:662539)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Terrific pictures stefan, but then, by now, I would expect nothing less.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 09:18 (Ref:662610)   #5
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated. I didn't see the Shadow run - and I wasn't able to get a programme either - so I can't say whether it ran or not. It was one of the strangest cars I've ever seen. I new shadow had built some oddities but this was something else. THere's another image here...

http://www.pbase.com/image/19129152

The air intake was particularly strange - like a 2ft laser canon.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 03:50 (Ref:663537)   #6
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan
Your photos show the Shadow in its original form, before they put the radiators into the rear wing that was fitted later. I visited Rosso Bianco Collection in Germany in 2001, the Shadow was in their catalogue but not on show, much to my disapointment.
Mick
Old 17 Jul 2003, 21:23 (Ref:664381)   #7
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely photos Stefan.

The AVS Shadow never raced in this format, it looked to be either the prototype or a replica of some kind. It was a static display from the Rosso Bianco museum.

The car looked like this when first raced at Mosport, the first race of the 1970 Can-Am season
http://www.motorracingretro.com/70sp...tro70mos16.htm
For the second race at St Jovite the team were forced to move the radiators from on top of the wing to inside it, an overheating nightmare. This car was destroyed in a trailer accident on the way back from St Jovite. George Follmer was the brave driver both times.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 21:29 (Ref:664391)   #8
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a second car which appeared at the fifth round at Mid Ohio, painted black (the first car was orangey red) and driven by Vic Elford
http://www.motorracingretro.com/70sp...o70ohio01a.htm
but it was no more successful (Elford apparently retired early on as he felt the car was a threat to his and the other drivers safety!) and never reappeared.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 09:04 (Ref:664672)   #9
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
My god, I'm amazed Vic ever set foot in it. Either for safety reasons or because you couldn't be sure it wasn't some kind of April fool. I'd seen pictures of the last car before but didn't realise the sleek beast at Goodwood was related. It had a really interesting double skinned area at the back corners. Thanks for the additional info.

I wonder who was the most consistantly radical racing car designer? Chapman, Jim Hall or Shadow?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:28 (Ref:664832)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry.

I don't buy this.

That aint no car - its a church organ on wheels.....
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:46 (Ref:666585)   #11
UkF1 Lad
Rookie

UkF1 Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOAH!!!!

Superb pictures! My mate at work went and said it was fantastic! Not suprising when you look at some of those cars! Wonderful!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 02:09 (Ref:667854)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
about the Shadow, what jumps out at me is how dreadfully exposed the driver seems, with his feet very much forward of the front axle (I know the 917's were no better, but still, jeepers).

Stefen, as always a pleasure to see details of Goodwood from you and your Coolpix. I don't regret going to Brands and Lemans in May earlier this year, but I do feel a twinge when I see your shots....

I just went through quickly here at home with my telephone linkup (but all in all, that photo presentation does a good job of resizing the shots, the pages open fairly quickly, even with a 56k) and although I'll try to look again at work sometime, what on earth is that twin-front wheeled "motorcycle" thing that looks like a set piece from "DeathRace 2000"?

cheers, David

ps, also was very intriqued by the radial engined thing complete with prop shaft sticking out (or looked like that anyway).

Last edited by djb; 22 Jul 2003 at 02:11.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:14 (Ref:667974)   #13
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Thanks David, glad you liked the photos.

The bike (sort of) is built around the V10 from the Dodge Viper - it's called a Tomahawk. 500hp and a theoretical top speed of 400mph. My friend managed to break most of his bones perfectly well on a bike that could only do half that. Here's some more info (on the bike, not my friend)
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html
There's also a bit about the radial engined Trossi Monaco here...
http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/c8b.htm

Cheers
Old 22 Jul 2003, 22:30 (Ref:668860)   #14
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That bike--daft, daft and, well, did I mention daft? Makes me think of the helicopter turbine engined thing that I've seen on the tv sometime made by someone in the states a few years back. (I'm pretty certain that Jay Leno bought one)

The Trossi Monaco, I imagine with the 75/25 weight balance it probably was a bit of a handful! But makes for very unique photographs doesn't it?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Right after getting back to Canada after Brands etc, I was telling a friend how I had set a new speed record for myself in a Volvo in France at 150mph and he answered that while I was away, he had gotten his 750 Suzuki up to 287kph before backing out of it because of the road was no longer clear- and it was still pulling. As the Aussies would say, "Crikey", that's pretty well 180mph! Not sure to be honest if I would try that given the chance, especially now with kids....

cheers
Old 22 Jul 2003, 23:52 (Ref:668903)   #15
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is ...or rather was.....a helicopter turbine engined thing that raced on the hills a short while ago....
It had a normal piston engine for the main drive and a helicopter engine driving the turbo.........
The helly engine ran on some kind of derv and kept the turbo spinning..........
A frustrated inventors method of anti-lag in essance......
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:17 (Ref:669079)   #16
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
That sounds interesting. Any idea what it was called? They had a couple of turbine driven cars at Goodwood - the Rover BRM driven by Hill at Le Mans and a rather impressive Howmet - apparently very successful and capable of 194mph! There's a photo here...

http://www.pbase.com/image/19129221
Old 23 Jul 2003, 08:30 (Ref:669127)   #17
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was invented and built by a man called Nick Mann.....
I think he calls it the Manic Beattie...........
The Beattie being a reference to an engine builder who I believe worked on the normal engine....
It is based on a Hillclimb Super Sports car........A Mallock I think........
His last invention was a Morris Minor with I think a rover v8 and nitrous injection.....
Could whoop an F40 to 100 mph................
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:56 (Ref:669648)   #18
djb
Veteran

Stefen, yes I was wondering the other night what that car was with the funny looking entrails....
Did the Rover BRM have an air brake? I seem to remember one of the Indy turbine cars having one in some footage I've seen.

and the Morris Minor, I somehow see Rowen Atkinson being appropriate to driving it.

to finish the turbine bike story, I recall (I think) Leno in an interview telling of driving it on the street one day, being at a light or stop sign with a car pulled up behind him. Turning around and seeing the plastic front bumper of the car starting to slowly melt and begin to sag...he then quietly pulled away and didn.t say a word.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 08:38 (Ref:670087)   #19
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Can't find anything on an air brake - there's some very interesting info on the history of gas turbine cars here...

http://8w.forix.com/altpower-turbines.html

The melty bumper story is very funny. Unless you're the owner of the car. It's probably one of the main reasons they haven't caught on - that and singed ankles/toddlers/dogs.