Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 8 Mar 2003, 13:07 (Ref:528857)   #1
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Achille Varzi

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
To be honest, it was the morphine which did for one of Tazio's principal opponents in the 1930s.

Where is Achille Varzi's reputation now?
A good question that, Tim. He seems to have become the forgotten man of the thirties, when his reputation was as high as those of Nuvolari, Rosemeyer (both sometime team-mates), Caracciola, Lang and Chiron. His near-obliteration by drug addiction would have broken many lesser men, yet after the War he returned to racing with Alfa Romeo, displaying much of his old fire and hunger to win, only to die on the tragic weekend in Bern which also claimed Christian Kautz and the Italian biker Omobono Tenni.

A good book on Varzi is long overdue - I understand there is an Italian biography which has long been promised in an English translation, but I have also heard it's not all that good.

So, any more thoughts on Varzi anyone? A genius? Flawed or not?

Bob Marley
Old 10 Mar 2003, 16:53 (Ref:531658)   #2
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vitesse, do you have time to elaborate please? What's your take on Varsi, we'd be interested.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 17:46 (Ref:531745)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I think Nigel Roebuck wrote quite a good piece on him some years ago, which included the morphine addiction and the way it affected his career -think its in his book 'Grand Prix Greats' published in the early/mid 80s
Old 10 Mar 2003, 20:20 (Ref:531940)   #4
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good piece on Varzi is at: http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/varzi_bio.htm
Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:41 (Ref:532133)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Varzi = Greek tragic hero. Even the name fits. There is a film just DYING to be made about him.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 23:17 (Ref:532183)   #6
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No less than one would expect from Dennis, Stu!

My take? A flawed genius, I'm afraid. The "wife of another driver" with whom he had a "torrid" affair was Ilse Pietsch and she was his downfall. After an accident he had been prescribed morphine as a painkiller - she reintroduced him to it as a "recreational drug" and he slipped quickly into a drug-fuelled hell from which he took several years to emerge. He was virtually invisible after 1936, racing just once in 1937 at the Italian GP where he came 6th. He then disappears from the record until 1947 when he was hired by Alfa Romeo, who displayed remarkable confidence in a man who hadn't raced for over ten years. Now happily married and recovered he returned to the fray with gusto, almost winning the 1947 Swiss and Belgian GPs, then triumphing at Bari before coming second once again in the Italian GP: four races, three second places, one win!

Varzi was one of the few men to conquer the Auto Union - I'm sure it's no coincidence that the four real masters of those rear-engined GP cars were all ex-motorcycle champions: Varzi, Rosemeyer, Nuvolari and Muller.

Bob Marley
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:34 (Ref:545125)   #7
DivineF1
Rookie

Cyprus
Nicosia, Cyprus
DivineF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ensign14
Varzi = Greek tragic hero. Even the name fits. There is a film just DYING to be made about him.
Actually it's the "Achille" part you are talking about.

I'm amazed at how much I can hate Ilsle.