Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Dec 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2352235)   #1
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
S2000 Question(s)

I need some information on a few things regarding S2000 spec cars and I thought what better place to ask than you knowledgeable lot.

Can rear wings (or any front splitter) on the cars and gear ratios be altered for each circuit or are they fixed?

There may be a few more questions in the future if you don't mind answering them!

Thanks
Old 11 Dec 2008, 01:32 (Ref:2352237)   #2
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wing angles can of course be altered and gear ratios as well. Splitters I assume need to stay the way it was homologized (sp?) but Im sure someone here can confirm/deny that.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2352359)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, I didnt know the rear spoiler could be adjusted, I always thought it was fixed like the BTC-T cars
Old 11 Dec 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2352367)   #4
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Well, that is usually Thompsons "secret" weapon. Put the wing flat and get that little extra speed down the straight allowing him to pass. The real trick is how he manages to hold the car on track through the twisty parts. Not too easy to copycat (or everybody else would also do it).
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2352593)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Well, that is usually Thompsons "secret" weapon. Put the wing flat and get that little extra speed down the straight allowing him to pass. The real trick is how he manages to hold the car on track through the twisty parts. Not too easy to copycat (or everybody else would also do it).
Sounds a little bit like the SEAT TDi conundrum in BTCC last season. They had more pace on the straights, and then had to defend during the corners.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2352615)   #6
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Yeah, but they did it with more engine torque (+ less penalty weight than the WTCC TDIs...) and suffered in the corners due to a heavy front. Tommos way makes the back end suffer (and is probably only suitable in a FWD car).
Old 11 Dec 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2352747)   #7
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The frong splitter can not be changed like in super touring, it has to be fixed. I don't know for 100% about gear ratios on the FWD cars, but on the BMW's you can change the final drive in the rear axle to suit different tracks. It should be the same for FWD cars (changing final drives) if I haven't missed something important. It is however not possible to fine tune every gear at the track as in video games and such. But you can shift gearboxes that has different gear ratios to suit different tracks.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2352765)   #8
SGarage
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
SGarage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Wing angles can of course be altered and gear ratios as well. Splitters I assume need to stay the way it was homologized (sp?) but Im sure someone here can confirm/deny that.
As far as I know gear ratios can only be altered before the scruteneering.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2352869)   #9
nik
Rookie

Switzerland
Kent
nik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
weve changed gear ratios during the weekend before, and altered the rear wing in quailifying and between races e.t.c
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2353181)   #10
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the help guys. I'd heard before about rear wings being fixed, but as mentioned wasn't sure if that was an S2000 rule or not. I read through the technical rules about the gears, but as expected its not casual reading!
Old 12 Dec 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2353228)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, if I've read this correctly;

Front Splitter - Fixed, not adjustable.
Gear ratios - Changeable.
Rear Spoiler - Adjustable.

Or have I missed something?
Old 12 Dec 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2353247)   #12
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then ofcourse you have the whole suspension to adjust.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2353434)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And engine management, fuel mixture, ballast position, tyre pressures, etc....
Old 12 Dec 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2353452)   #14
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
So, if I've read this correctly;

Front Splitter - Fixed, not adjustable.
Gear ratios - Changeable.
Rear Spoiler - Adjustable.

Or have I missed something?
Well the front splitter as such cant be adjusted but you can ofcourse change the ridehight on the suspension and thus getting lower/higer splitter.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2353715)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Wouldn't altering the ride height to anything other than the minimum be disadvantageous?
Old 12 Dec 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2353746)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Nope. If it's too low, you'll hit bumpstops. :P I think it would be slightly advantageous to raise the car a bit on street courses, or tracks with high curbing. Wouldn't wanna smack the sump on the ground/curb because it's too low!
Old 12 Dec 2008, 20:09 (Ref:2353798)   #17
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given wet conditions, you would use a soft setup. That would make the cars rideheight move, and then if you already use the lowest rideheight you are in trouble.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2353913)   #18
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The S2000 cars have a rather high minimum ride height. As far as I've understood, teams often run the cars at the minimum ride height, at least in the front.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2355499)   #19
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that running high rideheight on the rear reduces lift off oversteer, so that would be a FWD thing.
Old 15 Dec 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2355535)   #20
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Well, the downforce generated from higher ride height in the back would of course be beneficial for all cars, F/R/4WD, especially in high speed corners.