Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2994719)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HRDC Raceday

HRDC Season ending meeting.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3144477)   #2
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone received their tickets and timetables for this event yet?
Thanks.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3144487)   #3
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm eagerly awaiting the postman this morning.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3144490)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting the postman this morning.

He's just been and nothing from Julius yet. Perhaps he's waiting for some late entries!

Still plenty of time.......
Old 1 Oct 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3144498)   #5
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, thanks Brian.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3144499)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
nout here yet . . . no postman either, we seem to have a fully lobotomised delivery minion doing our round at the moment.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3144842)   #7
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets went in the post today, so not long to wait!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3144843)   #8
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really looking forward to seeing this event, really like these old saloons, and mallorys great for photos too

i found a timetable here
http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&...eventid=124032

are there any entry lists available? from the results on TSL it looks like the donington event in july had strong grids
Old 2 Oct 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3145084)   #9
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Everything has arrived this morning.

Some of the races have been combined so the timetable found on the TSL site yesterday is out of date.

I'll scan the info shortly including the entry lists in case anyone would like to see.

I also notice that I'm not the only one trying to cram Mallory and Castle Combe into the same weekend.

All we have to do now is hope that the weather is like it is here today. Anyone offering odds....

Old 2 Oct 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3145091)   #10
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Here are the timetable and entry lists for Sunday's meeting at Mallory
Attached Thumbnails
HRDC Mallory timetable - Oct.jpg   HRDC Mallory entry list - Oct.jpg  
Old 2 Oct 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3145135)   #11
yesnomaybe
Racer

Thanks Brian, looks like a great line up of cars
Old 2 Oct 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3145170)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Our stuff arrived, looking good.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3145411)   #13
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed....

See you at both, Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I also notice that I'm not the only one trying to cram Mallory and Castle Combe into the same weekend.

Old 3 Oct 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3145651)   #14
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I told my wife that I would be at home this weekend for a change. But looking at the entry list I might just be tempted to break my promise (again).
Old 3 Oct 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3145703)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Why break the habit of a lifetime!
Old 5 Oct 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3146507)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Well . . .while servicing the car yesterday, I got to checking my brakes . . . gulp, frazzled thin pads and what looked suspiciously like a weep from a caliper. . . . cue panic call to questmead ( superb advice and service) I did a quick strip and rebuild of the front calipers, fitted new seals, reassembled, new mintex pads arrived this morning at just after 9am ( not ferodo chocolate and rubber ones) so we're good to go again.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3147015)   #17
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Well . . .while servicing the car yesterday, I got to checking my brakes . . . gulp, frazzled thin pads and what looked suspiciously like a weep from a caliper. . . . cue panic call to questmead ( superb advice and service) I did a quick strip and rebuild of the front calipers, fitted new seals, reassembled, new mintex pads arrived this morning at just after 9am ( not ferodo chocolate and rubber ones) so we're good to go again.
Take care with the extra bite they will give you. I put new pads in at Spa last week just before my race as the ones that were in were almost down to the rivets and very ineffective. As a result I locked up going into La Source on lap 1 and. slid into poor Michael Steele coming from the left on the correct line, put dents in his door and wing and delayed him for 30 seconds or so. My wing pushed right back on to the wheel and could go no further than pitlane. 30 minute race lasted all of 12 seconds.

I knew I was getting too old for this lark.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3147051)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
looking forward to bedding them in and getting a pedal first!
Old 6 Oct 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3147167)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
the ones that were in were almost down to the rivets and very ineffective.
Riveted brake pads- Are they new?

Good luck to all and safe racing.

Old 7 Oct 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3147580)   #20
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Riveted brake pads- Are they new?

Just an old expression but you are probably correct to question. As a matter of interest what does bond the friction stuff to the back plate?
Old 7 Oct 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3147882)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
pritt-stik? or school gravy?

I'd highly recommend Mintex F6R . . . I did skids and all sorts

Just got in, a gnats tired, will report in the morning, but a great day, great weather, great company, and although I didn't see most of it, some great racing.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 07:14 (Ref:3148015)   #22
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Made a late decision to travel down to this one (so only got there just before noon) but glad I did. First time at Mallory (from a spectating as opposed to 'timing' point of view) so it was useful to hunt out the best viewing / photographing areas - of which there are many.

Great weather and good racing. Met up with Grant who introduced me to fellow Tenthers Simon (driving the Elva) and Zef who no doubt will be well pleased with his result in the Cortina (I'll leave the update to him).

Photos to follow when I plough through them.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3148044)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Well, after a front brake rebuild on Thu/Fri, move the seat back and general service, I was just about to load on Sat AM when I noticed my extinguisher was out of date! cue mini panic and hooning around in Justines A class trying to find one locally . . . traction controls pants isn't it, how can you press on in the wet with FWD?

we arrived to sunshine on Saturday afternoon and got a patch down by the lake, a nice setting for a BBQ and natter, although the evenings are drawing in now so it was dark by the time we ate and getting a little chilly . . . I think we all turned in a little after 9!

7am Sunday at it was thick fog, signed on and scrutineered by a little after 8 and there was no sign of it clearing, although there was the odd glimmer . . . by 9am it had lifted enough to let us out for the first test session. Having never raced at Mallory ( I did ten laps in 2005 on a track day) I went out last to have a look, and bed in new pads . . . fortunately they came good after 3 or 4 laps and I did a few warm laps, only problem was a bit of oil surge.

oil topped up!, brakes and tyres checked, we went out to qualify, with a relatively short lap it was nearly always busy, I backed off a few times to try and find a gap for a flyer, but, after being overtaken under what I thought was a yellow I never got a 2nd chance at a clear lap. never mind, its only practice and its a 45 minute race. I was pleasantly suprised by 3rd, and a little annoyed to have been pipped to the front row by Alistairs Cortina by 0.08s!

I lined up to race on the front row as a cracked fuel tank rendered THe Dyson Cortina unfit. It was about time I got the hang of the race clutch at starts, and for once I did. away, and a nose ahead of the Jag into Gerrards (which is different, and great fun every time!) looking at the pit boards from THe Webb/Reid Jag I seemed to be gaining about 0.5s a lap. I figured it was comfortable to maintain the pace and I'd need it because Reid (driving the jag later) was 1s quicker in qualifying. my pit stop was average, then delayed because the engine wouldn't restart . . . eventually a few people started pushing ( thanks) and I Bumped back into life, and away . . . I think I lost about 20 seconds, although it seemed like half an hour! I had no idea where I was as there was nothing in front or behind. (I haven't seen the results yet, if anyone has a copy???) but after 5 or 6 laps I did see a Jag in front . . . well you've got to go for it, so I started trying to catch it, I was slowly reeling it in but not convincingly, and then the oil pressure gauge started wandering a little in Gerrards, from 60-40 then back up . . and through the Esses it was worse. I managed that by trying to take a different line and a lighter throttle, which seemed to work. Threading past back markers a little more efficiently I managed to gain a lot on the Jag in 1 lap, then a dive up the inside of the hairpin, a switch back at devils elbow and a drag race to Gerrards . . . I had to brake later as we were side by side, it was a bit late, and a bit wide etc but I made it. I didn't know, but that was for the lead as the Reid Jag suffered a puncture. THereafter I got clear and finished the last 2 laps untroubled. I think the Dorlin Jag suffered from low fuel on the last lap, which helped as I was light footing it through Gerrards and the esses and had a few flashes of oil light. ( I know the sumps a weak point on this engine, foam baffling was a temporary measure and marginal at that. and Gerrards at however fast on opposite lock does require you to look out of the windows, not at the gauges!)

Anyway, a suprise to win, a fantastic end to the season, and being down in the dumps with all the grief on Sat morning thinking I was tired and skint etc etc, it really was and is worth all the effort. Its bloody hard work up the squirty end, the car needs constant fettling and everything wears out very quickly . . . I just look at stuff and think, If I don't do this, or that, its a DNF, or worse, an accident waiting to happen.

Its been a great season, for many more resons than just a win . . . I only hope myself and others spread the word that the HRDC is mighty fine good clean family fun.

A special mention to Ed Glaister, a top man in every respect, and a very well deserved award from Julius. really looking forward to next season already!

Last edited by zefarelly; 8 Oct 2012 at 08:47.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3148056)   #24
yesnomaybe
Racer

was a really good and memorable day, absolutely could not believe the move the little bmw pulled to get back into the lead of the touring greats race, there can only have been mm to spare for him to slot into infront of the jag before getting baulked by a backmarker, superb stuff

was a shame about all the incidents, crashes, oil slicks, i got a few pics of the rollover at the start of the touring greats race, the hairpin was a bit slippery to say the least, will post a link to my photos once they're online, which should be this week at some point.

When will the results be on TSL?
http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&...eventid=124032

i heard the commentator saying that Rupert Keegan was going to be racing one of the cars, but never worked out which one he was in as the tannoy is a bit half and half at that track

PS great report above, always good to have a bit more info
Old 8 Oct 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3148061)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
i heard the commentator saying that Rupert Keegan was going to be racing one of the cars, but never worked out which one he was in as the tannoy is a bit half and half at that track

PS great report above, always good to have a bit more info
The "Bumble" MG Magnette some of the time. Look for a read helmet in your photos if the available light behind the screen has illuminated the interior. It has his name on the bodywork as well but you needed the right angle to capture that well.