Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 21 May 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1615411)   #1
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iceland MotoPark

Iceland MotoPark is going to be Icelands first ever permenant motorsport facility. This is going to be a big development for them. first off, they are going to build a 1.49mile club circuit (the top half), ready for 2007. then they will extend the track to its full facility (the bottom section) , which will make a total of 2.7 miles track length. also the developers have targeted an A1 Grand Prix race for their proposed new circuit.
oh and I learned all this from Autosport.
Attached Thumbnails
Iceland MotoPark.GIF  
Old 21 May 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1615415)   #2
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
oh yeah, has anyone heard any news about Imola's new pit and things?
Old 21 May 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1615559)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The shape of this reminds me very much of a combination of the clockwise half of Suzuka (first corner and the Esses) and Donington with the Melbourne hairpin and some other corners missing.
Old 22 May 2006, 03:22 (Ref:1615952)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I see what you mean Yannick.

BTW, did Autosport show where the pits would be, or which direction they will run?
Old 22 May 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1616406)   #5
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
nope. the text said nothing about the pits or the way that the track is supposed to go. but I could try and find out for you.
Old 22 May 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1616514)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More information on the new circuit here http://www.icelandmotopark.com/
Old 22 May 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1616570)   #7
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, spotted this in Autosport. Great to see Iceland finally starting up a motorsport scene. I've always thought it had potential with all that beautiful open space, and hey, if Bahrain can have a circuit!

Anyone else thinking this might be a bit tricky to overtake on though, at least for the big single seaters like A1GP which they plan to attract? Only really the first corner, and maybe at the end of the backstraight, but the rest looks tricky. Esses should be good fun though
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 22 May 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1616704)   #8
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't say than I'm that impressed by the layout. Overtaking looks very limited & from the scale I doubt that many of the esses will be that fast-this isn't a long circuit at all. IMO it gets a could do better.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 23 May 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1616937)   #9
trackdesign
Rookie

trackdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track has 3 key overtaking opportunities, the first corner, end of the back straight, and the final corner, otherwise the track is very quick, and should be good fun for track days, which it will be used for most of the year.
Old 23 May 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1616940)   #10
trackdesign
Rookie

trackdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry forgot to mention the other overtaking opportunity, which is downhill into the hairpin on the west.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1617074)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at the images on the iceland Motopark website, the artists impression (the top right pic) makes it look much longer than is given on the plan, so while it might have the feel of a fast circuit, the proportions of it tell another story.

It also appears to be built as part of a larger and very close complex of light industry and housing, which could lead to the dreaded noise controls.
Old 23 May 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1617312)   #12
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
nope its being built next to a dual carriageway that links Keflavik to Reykjavik.
Old 23 May 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1617322)   #13
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
That may very well be the case but as ScotsBrutesFan said it is being built as part of an industrial & housing complex-not good. I would also strongly contest that there are 4 good overtaking oppertunities at this track. This may be true of FFord but A1GP-NO! Larger cars need longer runs into corners than are being built here. Therefore I can see very little overtaking in higher level racing here. I don't think that it will be a slow track, it just isn't as fast as many are making out. It is still a short track & so I can't see the esses being as fast & challenging as they first appear. I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I just can't see it happening.

Old 23 May 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1617332)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the plans:
Attached Thumbnails
Iceland.PNG  
Old 23 May 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1617505)   #15
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
& I quote from Autosport: "The complex is designed to house a hotel & conferencing facilities. The site will also feature high-rise apartment buildings designed for affluent Reykavik youngsters & overflow from the burgeoning Keflavik suburbs."

Why are they still doing this. Housing-high-rise apartment buildings, or whatever you want to call it is never a good idea near a race circuit so why are they still doing it?

I can see ovretaking in T1 but still not realistically anywhere else.

Old 24 May 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1617821)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was going to post the plan as nickyf1 did but I wasn't sure about copyrights etc.

As for as I can see the 1.5 mile first part of the development (the right hand loop) has just the one overtaking place for cars that being T1, Bikes might be able to block-pass on the final corner.
The second part of the development to put it in context is Brands Hatch Indy size or a touch smaller. So with the Esses being the length they are, The run to the hairpin and from there to the chicane can't really be long enough for cars to get along side.
Finally the long straight from the chicane rejoining the first part would be all right if the turn at the end of it was sharper, as it is it's a fairly open turn into esses...difficult to overtake I'd imagine.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1617848)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Taking a few minutes to think about it, I don't think it would take much to turn it into a reasonable circuit....Here's a quick doodle, the Biggest difference is that it now runs Clockwise instead of Anti-clockwise as shown on the original plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Iceland Mod copy.jpg