Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3229081)   #1
Dayzer
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Dayzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fastest Pit Stops

So with the new record being recorded at the Malaysia Grand Prix, Cant the stops get any faster.

http://www.formulaspy.com/topnews/27...-ever-pit-stop

This is mesmerizing.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3229182)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a law of diminishing returns now, so they can't get a lot faster. Better wheelguns could help? Also there is too much unreliability with guns, which in time will be resolved.

I like watching contemporary stops. It's like sleight of hand. What the hell just happened?
Old 4 Apr 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3229336)   #3
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They must have put in a fair bit of practise over winter because RB were never fastest last year were they. But apparently they beat the record multiple times throughout that race.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3229357)   #4
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, they broke it at Vettel's first stop, and then proceeded to break THAT new record 4 more times throughout the race.

Wonder if they can keep that up.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3229634)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amazing.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3229703)   #6
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Amazing.
I concur.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3229732)   #7
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seem to recall that when pitstops first returned to F1 (with Brabham, quite a few years ago, now) 10 seconds was considered a really good stop. I forget whether tyres or fuel were the limiting factor.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 00:55 (Ref:3229772)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually Gordon Murray must be very proud of his innovation. He designed an efficient pit stop. He built machines to fill fuel faster.
He found a way to keep the tyres warm so no time is lost on the track. He redesigned the nuts to put the wheels on cars faster and looked at ways to reduce the time spent on pit stops.
It worked.
He changed the way of racing in F1 forever.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3230279)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just stared at that for a good minute. The skill in this one seemed to be the wheel going from the hands to the car, rather than because of the developments in wheelnuts and wheelguns, etc.

There's got to be a bit of the law of diminishing returns coming in now. What else could be done to improve them?
Old 7 Apr 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3230333)   #10
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I just stared at that for a good minute. The skill in this one seemed to be the wheel going from the hands to the car, rather than because of the developments in wheelnuts and wheelguns, etc.

There's got to be a bit of the law of diminishing returns coming in now. What else could be done to improve them?
Well a few years ago taking two seconds off the time would have been a challenge people were working at and ultimately they were successful. Somehow I don't think anyone will be taking two seconds off this time! So yes the law of diminishing returns clearly is kicking in.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3232950)   #11
Mackar
Rookie

Mackar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a pitstop from close range last year and it's amazing that thet are even faster this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ELK-3Uy-8
Old 12 Apr 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3232964)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

That first one in your link Mackar looks positively slow by today's standards! Actually, there seemed to be a problem getting the right rear (or the right right rear?!).
Old 12 Apr 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3233147)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

They're getting better and better.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3233321)   #14
Mackar
Rookie

Mackar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
That first one in your link Mackar looks positively slow by today's standards! Actually, there seemed to be a problem getting the right rear (or the right right rear?!).
Yes the first one is really slow, but the Ferrari team were working fast as usual last year.