Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 16 Jul 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2251979)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chain Autodrome

Last week, I've seen a chain lying on a desk, and I immediately knew I had to do something with the shape. So here it is:

This clockwise track is located in a slightly hilly region where there are no trees blocking the view. It's meant to be for touring cars and formulae up to the degree of F3000/A1GP/GP2, but F1 testing and IndyCars would be welcome anytime, too. The length should be around 4.5 to 5 kilometers. I'm not sure about that yet. In fact, I don't know much about altitude changes and the track itself. Let's say it's got a rather rough and abrasive surface, because its shape looks rather old-style.
I've taken a photo of the chain on the desk, which I'm hoping to post for additional entertainment, once the film has been developed.
What do you think of it?
Thanks for listening.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2252194)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's an interesting shape.

I would say though, that at 4.5-5km, the pit straight would be too short. I think to do the design justice it would need to be upwards of 6-6.5km
Old 16 Jul 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2252250)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It definitely has a nice flow - especially that right hand section!

One minor thing: it might be useful to make the track a bit less hard to make out among those color lines.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2252347)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a suggestion: Invert the picture in Paint, it might make the track easier to see among the coloured lines, and because it's in lead pencil, an inverted picture would look better IMO.

The track; it's all good and a length of 5 kms is fine with me. I'd put a fast chicane in at the end of the lap because right now it looks slow, but I guess it could work because the rest of the track is fast.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2252812)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have issues with the last turn, don't know the exact dimensions but a vehicle out of control might reach over to the main straight or hit the wall.Can you invert the chicane so that it points outwards instead? Just a suggestion ,I'm getting tired of burying friends.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2252877)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd just make it a left-hand bend into a 90 to the right, with the 90 being where the current final turn is.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2252918)   #7
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of altering the final section too much I'd put an alternate bike variant which hosts a chicane on that fast kink before the speed trap.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2253206)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd buy a digital camera ;-)
Old 19 Jul 2008, 06:41 (Ref:2253736)   #9
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Funny.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2256453)   #10
Yannick
Veteran

Thanks for the replies, guys. Thanks for pointing out that safety issue of the final chicane. I must say this circuit was clearly designed with cars in mind, not bikes. To make it suitable for bikes, just as shambles said, an alternate variant like the one suggested by Purist should be included. I'm still questioning the runoff of the penultimate corner for cars, too, now.

@werner: I think the scanner does the job.

@TW: I tried something with photoshop, but all I got were pale grey on dark grey graphics. I guess I'll post both single-line and occasionally an additional full version of my future tracks, to make them more easily visible.

@SBF: I'm not sure about the track's exact length, but to me, it looks like a mixture of the characters of Zandvoort and Donington in places, so it should fit to those in length as well.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 02:11 (Ref:2256936)   #11
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Nonono, I meant Paint, not Photoshop.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2273711)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

First of all, let's clear up the vocabulary confusion: It's not been a chain, it's been a necklace. Here it is:

And it clearly shows how much a blot shape can differ, when it's drawn from memory. I guess I need to revise this circuit. Which shape do you prefer? Which corners would you emphasise? (Of course, the necklace runs clockwise ;-)