Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:43 (Ref:2724312)   #26
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Interesting late news. McLaren will not be running the blown diffuser for the rest of the weekend.

I'm not surprised. It is much harder to make these things work straight of the box now there is no testing. It was pretty clear from watching practice today and looking at the times that neither driver was happy with the revised car.

As a side issue that bump at the new Abbey is a concern, because it's a very fast corner. It wasn't an issue over the MotoGP weekend, so they must take a different line, but they did have problems with bumps elsewhere.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think the new circuit is as good as the old one and the fact that there any bumps of that magnitude seems pretty inexcusable.
I'm all for the bumps, keep the driver's awake, don't seem to bother Webber oer too much.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2724326)   #27
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
I'm all for the bumps, keep the driver's awake, don't seem to bother Webber oer too much.
Circuits with a few bumps are a major factor in giving good racing, they challenge the engineers in getting a setup that works and forces them to compromise ride height and aero performance, they challenge the drivers and make the car's behaviour a little less predictable. Quite simply a few good bumps dotted around the calendar would improve racing even on the tracks that are smooth because of the effect they have on car design and set up. Smoothing all the bumps out has been a major mistake in my opinion.

Letting some key points on circuits develop a few bumps or even going out and actively putting them in is the single lowest cost thing that could be done to improve the racing in F1.

If you are sceptical read Brundle's book Working the Wheel. It is amazing how much of this book is about the various bumps an F1 driver had to deal with around the world in the days when it was written and he doesn't complain about them, he relishes their challenge.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2724327)   #28
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I love Copse.

The direction change is fantastic to watch, whether from the shot before the corner to the left, or particularly head-on.
I agree - having raced it, my car tops out at about 105mph, and I can *just* (as long as I clench my tezzies) go round without lifting. These F1 cars, at almost twice the speed, also go round without lifting.

Awesome.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2724331)   #29
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Brundle's book Working the Wheel.
Good book.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2724335)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Circuits with a few bumps are a major factor in giving good racing, they challenge the engineers in getting a setup that works and forces them to compromise ride height and aero performance, they challenge the drivers and make the car's behaviour a little less predictable. Quite simply a few good bumps dotted around the calendar would improve racing even on the tracks that are smooth because of the effect they have on car design and set up. Smoothing all the bumps out has been a major mistake in my opinion.

Letting some key points on circuits develop a few bumps or even going out and actively putting them in is the single lowest cost thing that could be done to improve the racing in F1.

If you are sceptical read Brundle's book Working the Wheel. It is amazing how much of this book is about the various bumps an F1 driver had to deal with around the world in the days when it was written and he doesn't complain about them, he relishes their challenge.
I don't mind circuits having bumps. They tend to develop over the years almost everywhere.

What I do think is poor is that the bumps at Silverstone are in the new sections. They should get the surface smooth for a start.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2724341)   #31
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This present era of 'go cart' driver's and that includes Shumi have led to flat featureless circuits to the detriment of the 'racing' [sic] bring back Solitude, sort out who can and can not.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2724354)   #32
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks as if Vettel may have a problem with the front wing.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2724387)   #33
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Disastorous qualifying session for McLaren so far. Button 14th on the grid.. Playing catch-up in this morning's Practice 3. A pity, but it's been a step back effectively because of this lost time, and they'll have to wait until Germany to see improvements.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2724390)   #34
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Well done to De la Rosa for getting into the top 10. He's looked good all weekend so far.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2724391)   #35
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

A proper good effort by Lewis to get 4th.

Red Bulls looking dominant. Hope Webber can beat Vettel in the race.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2724392)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done to Vettel, a solid performance but what happened to Jenson?
Old 10 Jul 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2724394)   #37
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Jenson has no idea. In an interview on the BBC (guessing you saw that one bjohnsonsmith), he thinks there might be a specific problem with his car, rather than it just being the general pace right now.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2724395)   #38
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Williams look better this weekend, and Barrichello is showing the fancied Hulkenberg the way. I think we had got used to rookies coming in and showing up old hands, but Barrichello is doing well to consistently lead the way by the margin he has so much.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2724396)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Jenson has no idea. In an interview on the BBC (guessing you saw that one bjohnsonsmith), he thinks there might be a specific problem with his car, rather than it just being the general pace right now.
Yes I did, he seemed very perplexed. Hopefully he can make up for it tomorrow.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2724397)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I pretty much like the new layout. The Abbey esses are amazing to watch. Brooklands with its late apex could be a good overtaking spot, but I'm not so sure about the Arena braking zone. The second corner there is ridiculously tight.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2724408)   #41
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
webber DID NOT look like a happy man, seb brakes his new wing so they take it off marks car and give it to seb, mark gets sebs old car that he didnt like......not favortism at all!! ok i know red bull have to make a decision, but surely so early in the season with the points so close, and after all the conspiricy theorys about favoritism.....theyd have left it on marks car!!
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2724413)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
webber DID NOT look like a happy man, seb brakes his new wing so they take it off marks car and give it to seb, mark gets sebs old car that he didnt like......not favortism at all!! ok i know red bull have to make a decision, but surely so early in the season with the points so close, and after all the conspiricy theorys about favoritism.....theyd have left it on marks car!!
Early in the season, we are exactly half way.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2724414)   #43
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like some areas have been resurfaced since the MotoGP race, they all complained about the bumps, especial,ly the 125 Moto2 guys.

The RB is on a different planet to everyone else, hopefully it might rain so all those rich people who spent a mortgage on tickets have a nice race to watch!!
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2724415)   #44
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
well by that logic, if webber is 15 points behind seb then by the end of th season webber will be 15 points infront of seb and should have been given the new wing LOL
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2724417)   #45
ascarracinguk
Veteran

yes the bumps are bad, i was marshalling the fia gt race earlier this year on the new abbey section, just be glad is isnt going to rain this weekend, cos it took about 4 hours to get rid of the flood from the rain, plus the bumps are aweful..gt cars were really struggling,, especially in the wet
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2724420)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The RB is on a different planet to everyone else, hopefully it might rain so all those rich people who spent a mortgage on tickets have a nice race to watch!!
I didn't know the British obsession with class extended to F1.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2724436)   #47
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Totally agree with your appraisal, with reference to an earlier post I made in this thread re BE, there is some jiggery pokery going on, and an interview sub Q3 with Christian Horner Mr Jordon is also likewise convinced.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2724458)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I didn't know the British obsession with class extended to F1.
Chunder is bitter he couldn't afford to go.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2724472)   #49
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bulls have locked out the first row of the grid

Vettel has pole with his team-mate, Webber tucked up along side him.

Massa has secured thrid place on the grid, while the mclaren of Hamilton is in fourth.

the mclaren of Button was elimanated at the end of Q2 and will start the race in 14th place on the grid
Old 10 Jul 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2724479)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
That would be Alonso with the large eyebrows in P3..