Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2724768)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Eighth Dwarf - South African GP in two or three years, Russia "really important"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...-2i1vUZ6WNEbzg

Cape Town. OK, there are worse places to go for races (you know, China, Bahrain, Turkey even though the circuit is like Interlagos with the charm removed), but I'm not sure if it's too high priority. Other places in South Africa I'm yet to be convinced by. Even so, there might be fanbase issues. Lots of things have changed since the last South African Grand Prix, but I feel sure it should be able to work. My concern is fitting these races - especially bearing in mind he's dredged up the prospect of Russia again - in the calendar, I just think his idea of 25 races is not workable. Eighteen or nineteen is the right number.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2724772)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie should keep his trap shut most of the time IMO, nothing he says is particularly exciting or intelligent..
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2724777)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which gps would we lose considering that in the latest f1 fan survey there was a massive response for people saying keeping the historic tracks is important.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2724781)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Which gps would we lose considering that in the latest f1 fan survey there was a massive response for people saying keeping the historic tracks is important.
Bernie wants to expand. However, if I were to be wielding the chainsaw, Bahrain, China and Hungary would be the first to go ...
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2724789)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think they should go to Kyalami. if it can hold A1GP, then it can hold F1.

(Unfortunately Bernie and Prawn Sandwich Brigade would turn their noses up at it...)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 11 Jul 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2724790)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
South Africa has a great GP cirucit in Kyalami. If you're going to that country, why not use it.

Russia important to who? I could be controversial but I'm sure it would be libelous to suggest any similarity between someone's business practices and the running of some segments of the Russian economy, so I won't.

Personally, I think it's important to take GPs to places where they want to see F1 and have trained marshals who can do the job when necessary. 85,000 spectators to Friday practice at Silverstone ought to register with someone, but I bet it doesn't.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2724991)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Bernie has BRIC fever. Just like most other businesses.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2724995)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
One of BRIC countries is already a good F1 venue with fans. The rest simply aren't interested.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2725050)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty damning for the Austin, TX boys.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2725107)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing as Bernie is trying to make this now a 'truely world sport'. The fact there isn't a race in South Africa is crazy in my eyes as Kylami was a fantatsic circuit and used to have HUGE crowds.
I'm sure Bernie will love having a race in the Russian market. If Petrov keeps his seat it's quite possible as they've been pushing for years but like everything else it's down to funding.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2725316)   #11
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
South Africa is an excelent choice for a GP ... especially when Bernie is chasing European afternoon times, same timzone and all that.

Building a new circuit... hmmmm job creation... but do you really want to spend millions again on new facilities when 90% of the population is living in poverty...

Kyalami has the facilities.. imo its not a great track for F1 though... If they can keep ticket prices reasonable then you will get great crowds. F1 has a good following in SA. It is covered pretty well on TV there too.

A race in Capetown would be pretty spectacular though.. Much nicer for tourists to go there rather than JHB... Although a high altitude race would add to the drama a little?

Main problem is... this rumour jumps up every two or three years.. and nothing ever comes of it. So I am not getting my hopes up just yet.

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2725503)   #12
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Building a new circuit... hmmmm job creation... but do you really want to spend millions again on new facilities when 90% of the population is living in poverty...
And the country has more than enough white elephants already with the World Cup now over.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2725523)   #13
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this is a bit of a move by Bernie to force teams into accepting a longer calender? As he did with the inclusion of Canada this year, by saying if the teams and the sponsors want to get into these markets, then they are going to have to stay away from home for an extra few weeks.

Or it could be that Bernie trying to squeeze more money out of circuits that have contracts that are on the verge of expiring?

Russia has been on the cards since the late 90's, with Tom Walkinshaw involved in a circuit on the outskirts of Moscow, so I'm always taking a pinch of salt with mention of Russian GP in the near future.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2725531)   #14
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Stick a track on top of table mountain. That should keep the drivers between the white lines.....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2725542)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
Perhaps this is a bit of a move by Bernie to force teams into accepting a longer calender? As he did with the inclusion of Canada this year, by saying if the teams and the sponsors want to get into these markets, then they are going to have to stay away from home for an extra few weeks.
This a regular tactic of Bernie's isn't it, drop the races the teams want to make room for something Bernie wants and the teams hate, then at the last minute concede that the old favourites can go back onto the calender provided they are an additional round. All part of the strategy to ratchet up the take for CVC and Bernie.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2725586)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so much hate for the little guy...almost makes me wish for the Mosley days when we all had a common enemy

but im in favour of more races and im willing to bet so are the teams and in particular their sponsors.
S.Africa is in the spot light now and im guessing there is an opportunity to get the funding together right now to build a new track. in a couple of month who knows, but i really do hope that a race in Africa can be announced soon. Kyalami is great though and more feasible so this is a race that should happen soon. if it can be made a success again then think about building a new track.
Russia who knows, but it is a huge market and its inclusion makes it easier to attract new manufactures and new sponsors etc etc...we all know these arguments and new money is the one thing F1 needs above all else and thats why they love Bernie.

but is it just a bargaining ploy. BE has used them in the past but in the same vein the teams employ there own tactics and ultimately my guess would be that the parties meet a lot closer to the middle than we have been led to believe.
do i have proof. of course not and one could say there isn't an organization in the world not capable of taking advantage of car manufacturers, FOM being no different. but i cannot believe the teams are this gullible and if they are i am thankful they (rather FOTA) are not in charge.

after a successful return to Montreal and Silverstone i think BE does deserve some more credit.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2725633)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...-2i1vUZ6WNEbzg
My concern is fitting these races - especially bearing in mind he's dredged up the prospect of Russia again - in the calendar, I just think his idea of 25 races is not workable. Eighteen or nineteen is the right number.
Fitting them in is not an issue as the teams used to test loads, so going away for more weekends is workable if the order of the races is decided logically. However, I think it would detract from something to have too many 'Grands Prix'.

After Silverstone had finished, within hours I wanted to watch another Grand Prix, but I know you have to keep it a bit rare and special.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2725812)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Fitting them in is not an issue as the teams used to test loads, so going away for more weekends is workable if the order of the races is decided logically. However, I think it would detract from something to have too many 'Grands Prix'.

After Silverstone had finished, within hours I wanted to watch another Grand Prix, but I know you have to keep it a bit rare and special.
From 1998 to 2003 CART ran between 19 and 20 races per season peaking in 2001 with 21, though one did get cancelled.

The costs involved must have been horrendous and had to have been a factor in CART's demise, even though most of the races were homegrown; just a warning from the past.