Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2010, 01:36 (Ref:2725175)   #1
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel last lap 'pass' on Sutil

Haven't seen this mentioned yet.... anyone think the way Vettel forced (barged?) his way through was more deserving of a penalty than, say, the Alonso one?

I can't find any video online of it, but it wasn't exactly subtle - not much made of it in the BBC commetary box but there are a few online comments from Sutil and Autosport have picked it up:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85228
Old 12 Jul 2010, 06:10 (Ref:2725235)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, it was out of order and if I were Sutil, I would be well miffed about it.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2725279)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I have to say, it did look like a case of 'do-or-die' as it was the final/penultimate lap. Slightly unfair.

Selby
Old 12 Jul 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2725325)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I have not seen a replay yet, but my thoughts at the time were that it was more akin to a BTCC "pass" than an F1 "pass", but probably not worthy of a stewards enquiry or penalty.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2725338)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh that's exactly it. It was rough, but no rougher than some of the other unpunished rough passes earlier in the race.

Selby
Old 12 Jul 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2725346)   #6
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pulling off a pass like that in the BTCC is bad enough (who really wants to be replacing panels after every race?, besides the obvious issue of winning by leaning which is just cheap) - in open wheelers that can end up in someone getting rolled/airbourne/run over.

This wasn't even leaning, he positively barged him off line by a foot or two by driving right at him.....
Old 12 Jul 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2725353)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
A clumsy pass but it got the job done, I guess. Whilst I rate Vettel highly, one of his weakest points seems to be overtaking.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2725391)   #8
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was really hoping Sutil would manage to hold the place until the end, having done a pretty good job of keeping Vettel at bay for the previous laps. Let's just say I wouldn't have been sympathetic if Vettel had ended up off track with that move. I feel sorry for Sutil who'd been playing it fair as far as I could see, no double moves etc, just good defending.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2725450)   #9
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it looked worse than it really was. All I really got out of it was a good aggressive pass where Vettel wasn't scared to bang wheels.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2725493)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
I think it looked worse than it really was. All I really got out of it was a good aggressive pass where Vettel wasn't scared to bang wheels.
it was a cheap shot; if you can't get by without banging wheels then you should stay put, it's a non-contact sport. However you 'interpret' the rules, it's still a non-contact sport and either should be enforced as such at all levels, OR split the professional away from the amateur.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2725509)   #11
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
it was a cheap shot; if you can't get by without banging wheels then you should stay put, it's a non-contact sport. However you 'interpret' the rules, it's still a non-contact sport and either should be enforced as such at all levels, OR split the professional away from the amateur.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2725602)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having seen it a couple of times, it looks ruder than I initially thought because Vettel appeared to know what he was doing, positioning himself to the right to give himself something of an ideal radius into the corner, but he sort of barged into Sutil like that. The benefit of the doubt side would say that he may have thought Sutil would know he was there and/or see him.

Not a terribly bad move, although a bit rash and British Bumper Car Championship-style which I never like to see.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2725702)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It looked like a Wimbledon Stadium move to me, don't forget he tried it on his team mate the other week and lost !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2725724)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
So Pettel was getting petulant...
Old 12 Jul 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2725814)   #15
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
So Pettel was getting petulant...
Pettel, I'm liking that. He's got some nasty thorns too
Old 13 Jul 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2725831)   #16
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Classis "bump and run" ... when VetTOOL gets to NASCAR he should do much better ROFL
Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2725990)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You want overtaking,you got overtaking.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2726004)   #18
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did F1 become the British Touring Car Crash? I like overtaking but ploughing into someone in F1 is just not cricket! I can sort of understand it in NASCAR and touring cars where tin tops are pretty much designed for it.

Least Red Bull didn't give either of them wings.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2726073)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It had a touch of the hooligan, but it wasn't a blatent punt up the back. The cars were fairly side by side when the collision occurred, although I'm not convinced Vettel was getting round the corner without assistance...
Old 13 Jul 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2726118)   #20
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't excatly a nice move, but we've seen other drivers (and Vettel of course) pulling off much more agressive and forced overtakes.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2727133)   #21
Iron Ripper
Rookie

Latvia
Latvia, Riga region
Iron Ripper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was dangerous move. It reminded of what Coulthard was trying to do to Wurz in 07, without the consequences. It was a late and desperate charge ignoring Sutil's taken line which unfortunately this time played into Vettel's hands.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2727201)   #22
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was fine. Sutil was blocking, Vettel found a way by, and they both continued on. No harm, no foul.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2727338)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd say defending rather than blocking. Not completely clear to see on tv, but he seemed to choose a line and stick to it, just leaving Vettel with not enough room to do the job. Eventually left half a gap on the last time through and Vettel went for it. Good for him, I'd say, although a bit rougher than necessary, equally once Sutil had lost the corner he might have backed off a little bit and avoided the collision (and if he had done, Vettel might not have stayed in front/on the track anyway).

Two hard racers racing hard. Lacked finesse, sure, but thank goodness for someone actually having a go.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2730147)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It was fine. Sutil was blocking, Vettel found a way by, and they both continued on. No harm, no foul.
I tend to agree. And it was the last lap.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2730642)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fine him $100,000,000.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen