Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Dec 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3183089)   #1
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
migliacars has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
f1 is boring. manufactured for tv.

f1 is boring.
manufactured for tv.
the people who watch it have no idea about real motorsport.
i used to really enjoy it.

it really helps me to sleep though. i think i fell asleep in all of the races.

there is much better motorsport about.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3183091)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by migliacars View Post
f1 is boring.
manufactured for tv.
the people who watch it have no idea about real motorsport.
i used to really enjoy it.

there is much better motorsport about.
Then why are you wasting your time posting here?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3183094)   #3
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
to voice my opinion.

to educated people on f1.

as this is a forum open for everyone
Old 30 Dec 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3183100)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
to voice my opinion.

to educated people on f1.

as this is a forum open for everyone
No your not..The truth is you are trolling ...
Old 30 Dec 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3183104)   #5
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
trolling ...???????????????????????????????????????????
Old 30 Dec 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3183137)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sure is an expensive way to travel the world, falling asleep.

Or did you mean you fell asleep in front of your TV?

Note: I stood in the rain for two of the three days at Silverstone (Sunday was dry after 6am), and I agree that there are *equal* forms of Motorsport if you actually get out and watch it, or get involved with it. But not better.

EDIT: it seems you do some UK motorsport, so you might aswell expand on your comments...

Last edited by Greem; 30 Dec 2012 at 23:58.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3183346)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Posting an opinion is not trolling, it only gats called it on an F1 forum here!

I agree with some sentiment of F1 being dull in places, some races last year were woefully bad, but that is down to the tracks

I think the level last year went up a notch because of the rules stability and everyone being so equal, until Newey leared how to get round the rules again!

Then it was fairly predictable unfortunately
Old 31 Dec 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3183349)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
You should read the original post..

We welcome constructive opinions from everyone, we don't have to agree..

If users are coming here to describe F1 as little more than claptrap, then we take exception because it ruins the thread..
Old 1 Jan 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3183448)   #9
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boring?

If you're into motor racing, and I presume you are by virtue of being here, I have no idea how you could find any season of the fastest closed circuit racing cars traveling the world with some of the finest drivers in their cockpits to be boring.

There's nothing inherently dull, to me, about a competition to see which super-high-performance car can complete the distance the fastest. We're trained to think we need constant overtaking, in part because we're told that, in part because the cars are a bit more restricted these days, in part because TV doesn't capture the speed well (modern technology is nice, but it's actually hurting the broadcast), etc.

But if you really think about it, it can't be boring even if nothing obvious is happening. Every corner someone is taking it to the limit in a car that's unfathomably fast and advanced.

I'll complain about various things in the worlds of F1, NASCAR, sports cars, and other series I follow. Boring? Never a word I'll use to describe a motor race; it'd just be contradictory.

I think we'll have a good season playing witness to the genius of Newey and Red Bull; the rivalry of McLaren and Ferrari; the talents of Vettel and Alonso; and the surprises of Räikkönen's Lotus, Hamilton's Mercedes, or Hülkenberg's Sauber.

They'll be inches away from each other into Melbourne's first turn, inches away from a retirement all around Monaco, and, for one of them, inches away from the highest honor a driver can earn by season's end.

It'd be bad for my eyes to be inches away from the TV, but I certainly won't stray too far from it when the Grand Prix is on.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3183540)   #10
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
dull and boring manufactured for tv only.
drivers cannot say or do what they want. have to be politicly correct. eddie ervine was kicked out for voicing his opinion.

hold on am i trolling again ive been warned about this already from an administrator

bet ill be kicked out soon enough.

f1 is only there for bernie to make money.

ive been involved in club motorsport for ten years now not on a Hugh scale by any means, just as a hobby been competitive so im not some idiot on here with no idea.

i would say if you speak to the drivers in club motorsport, the backbone of it all. and ask them there opinion on f1 they will have similar views to me.

i have good friends who know nothing about Motorsport. but sit there and speak about f1 as if they are running it. they think its great. but when i ask them to come and watch me or help they are washing there hair or cutting there grass.

get involved and see for yourselves what its about.

and i wasnt joking about the sleeping bit. although the last 2 racers were the best this season.

manufactured for the spectators only.... true

DRS that isnt motorsport.
if there is a faster car it means the team car and driver have got it right so they should be in the lead.

think of it this way.

years ago a man called johney herbert in a slower lotus kept the great micheal shumacher behind him in a flying benneton for nearly half the race,he did this by pure driving talent, placing his slower car in the places were he knew the benneton wanted to be lap after lap. what a race what a driver.
nowadays the faster benneton would flip open his flap pull over and pass very boringly down the straight of into the distance, the slower car would stand no chance.
is that what we want to see??????????? no

if the man behind is faster he will pass if not he isnt good enough.
thats how it is.

if i cannot pass a car on the circuit through my own skills why should i have the right to be gifted an easy pass down the straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbC5HhuWU74

we all like close racing but normally there is a runaway leader in all motorsport.

soon it will all be on simulators.

im a hugh lover of exciting Motorsport and f1 could be great again. the cars are to reliant on aerodynamic grip. for better racing mechanical grip is better take some of the downforce from them some how.
free up the regs let engines be free let teams use turbos superchargers v8s v10s v12s, take of the rev limiters and sensors, i wanna see them rods coming out the blocks, smoke all over like they use to be.
cars/engine naturally blow up in Motorsport that's how it is not everyone always finished, engines are very stressed units and on the verge of destruction.

take off the flappy paddles and let the drivers drive the cars.

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5hAtpDRl2A

listen to the engine listen to the gearbox look how he is fighting the car, this is driving.
look at the comments on there.

surly no one and argue that this isnt better motorsport.

i wasnt on here trying to start and argument but seems i have.

it is boring now compared to how it was.

who agrees.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3183543)   #11
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
and one more thing.
get some good commentators please. couthard could talk a glass eye to sleep.

no one but no one can say that murry didnt make it exciting.

just the sound of his voice on old youtube clips make me smile.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3183546)   #12
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I thought I was the cynical one, but this guy takes the biscuit. You're not forced to watch it, mate.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3183548)   #13
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll agree with this guy on one thing (even though this is getting miles off the original topic, but ah well).

I do not find the modern Formula One cars as interesting or exciting as the older ones. Recently, I was watching Racing Legends on BBC (as I suspect a few on this forum would've been doing) and couldn't help but feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever there was footage of the times when Moss and Stewart were racing. Those cars WERE exciting. They all fitted to the same regulations, but were fundamentally different, aesthetically and mechanically too.

I just wish we could get back to those sorts of times. The regulations these days are FAR too restrictive. Look at the innovations that have been banned in the last few years. Double diffusers, exhaust blown diffusers, f-ducts, the ride height system, double DRS...it seems whenever Newey or whoever comes up with something genuinely innovative, it gets banned. Why?! Why don't we just have them racing in GP2 cars if that's how it is going to be?

It also pains me to see how cars have gradually become heavier, and slower, and yes, perhaps easier to drive too. You look at lap times from year to year, and they're progressively getting slower and slower. Most lap records for the older tracks are from from 2003-2005. That's depressing to me as a fan. I don't want to believe that I've already seen the time where F1 cars are at their fastest in my life time. But it is rather worrying.

Again, you look back to the cars that Moss or Stewart drove, and the speed and performance they were capable of by the standards of the day were mind blowing. These days, whilst Formula One cars are still quick, they're not as spectacular in that area in my opinion, particularly when as I've already said, cars are being slowed down, engine size has been decreased from V10 and V12s to soon V6s etc.

There's the argument for moving with the times, yes, but I also want to see exciting Formula One cars again. I became interested in motorsport through my love of cars, not drivers...

Last edited by Thaw Daggerslash; 1 Jan 2013 at 13:34.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3183549)   #14
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It's the circuits that are slower, not the cars.

They're still exciting machinery, but no one team is ever allowed an advantage, in the interests of close racing. And that is fundamentally wrong.

It's manipulation, something I'm totally against. All too late to complain, now that F1 is "owned", rather than simply another class of motor sport.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3183550)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post

They're still exciting machinery, but no one team is ever allowed an advantage
Surely Red Bull had more of an 'advantage' than HRT?
Old 1 Jan 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3183556)   #16
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Surely Red Bull had more of an 'advantage' than HRT?
Yep. They had wings, in more ways than one. I was suggesting that the leading teams, with all the dosh and the best designers, are not allowed to have an edge, in the interests of entertainment.

The likes of HRT just had no dosh, full stop. They were never in the position of having an advantage. I'm confusing myself now......
Old 1 Jan 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3183604)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
THe problem is that even if you managed to find a way of taking the wings away, there would still be ways of finding the grip, either through better tyres, suspension systems etc.

Who could possibly imagine that any modern car could ever beat the laptime of a 1000hp turbo car on qualifying tyres with super sticky rubber, but they were quicker in days!
Just like WRC, the Dela 4x4 was quicker on test stages in Italy than a Rallye 037 very soon after it was initially developed and quicker than an S4 within 6 months.

Modern cars are built for modern tracks though, I cant imagine a modern F1 car coping too well with Buenos Aires as it was, or Interlagos or placxes like Dallas or Detroit.

I wish DRS and Kers were gone too, but if that is a way to try and promote passing then I dont mind too much, and to be honest if you have ever played a racing sim, trying to use it and not mess it up is harder than you might imagine, so I have great repsect for these guys who are doing all this, driving, talking on radio, racing, watching tyre temps, messing with settings.

Its a different world, maybe not better or worse, but different.

My faith in F1 has been restored by Pirelli, and a few other things, the days of Bridgestone developing a tyre for one driver are gone and Michelin too.

If only MotoGP would just stop being so pathetic and people like Honda and Yamaha realise that their sport is going down the drain, and would have already been drowned were ot not for one man!
Old 1 Jan 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3183605)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thread split as it was ruining another topic.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3183625)   #19
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
if i cannot pass a car on the circuit through my own skills why should i have the right to be gifted an easy pass down the straight.

free up the regs let engines be free let teams use turbos superchargers v8s v10s v12s, take of the rev limiters and sensors
Even in the era you obviously preferred (by virtue of the video clip you referred to) the technical regulations were not as relaxed as you propose for F1 in (your ideal) future.

Get a grip - oh, and bye the way, please use a spell checker as your posts are tiresome to read (spell checkers are freely available on-line, included in all word processing package - and even on this humble forum misspellings are hi-lighted!)
Old 1 Jan 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3183633)   #20
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
dull and boring manufactured for tv only.
drivers cannot say or do what they want. have to be politicly correct. eddie ervine was kicked out for voicing his opinion.

hold on am i trolling again ive been warned about this already from an administrator

bet ill be kicked out soon enough.

f1 is only there for bernie to make money.

ive been involved in club motorsport for ten years now not on a Hugh scale by any means, just as a hobby been competitive so im not some idiot on here with no idea.

i would say if you speak to the drivers in club motorsport, the backbone of it all. and ask them there opinion on f1 they will have similar views to me.

i have good friends who know nothing about Motorsport. but sit there and speak about f1 as if they are running it. they think its great. but when i ask them to come and watch me or help they are washing there hair or cutting there grass.

get involved and see for yourselves what its about.

and i wasnt joking about the sleeping bit. although the last 2 racers were the best this season.

manufactured for the spectators only.... true

DRS that isnt motorsport.
if there is a faster car it means the team car and driver have got it right so they should be in the lead.

think of it this way.

years ago a man called johney herbert in a slower lotus kept the great micheal shumacher behind him in a flying benneton for nearly half the race,he did this by pure driving talent, placing his slower car in the places were he knew the benneton wanted to be lap after lap. what a race what a driver.
nowadays the faster benneton would flip open his flap pull over and pass very boringly down the straight of into the distance, the slower car would stand no chance.
is that what we want to see??????????? no

if the man behind is faster he will pass if not he isnt good enough.
thats how it is.

we all like close racing but normally there is a runaway leader in all motorsport.

soon it will all be on simulators.

im a hugh lover of exciting Motorsport and f1 could be great again. the cars are to reliant on aerodynamic grip. for better racing mechanical grip is better take some of the downforce from them some how.
free up the regs let engines be free let teams use turbos superchargers v8s v10s v12s, take of the rev limiters and sensors, i wanna see them rods coming out the blocks, smoke all over like they use to be.
cars/engine naturally blow up in Motorsport that's how it is not everyone always finished, engines are very stressed units and on the verge of destruction.

take off the flappy paddles and let the drivers drive the cars.

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5hAtpDRl2A

listen to the engine listen to the gearbox look how he is fighting the car, this is driving.
look at the comments on there.

surly no one and argue that this isnt better motorsport.

i wasnt on here trying to start and argument but seems i have.

it is boring now compared to how it was.

who agrees.
Your argument seems to be centred on the fact that the majority of people who watch F1 do not actually participate in motorsport themselves. Well, I for one am participating in motorsport (Karting) which is not exactly the pinnacle of motorsport, but you have to start somewhere.

I am a massive fan of F1,and I get the impression that you do not appreciate what driving an F1 car entails and how good the drivers actually are. People who have never attended a grand prix very rarely realise that TV does not do F1 justice. I appreciate that many F1 fans are not in the position to attend a grand prix, but I`m just putting that out there. Admittedly, I feel that DRS is a step in the wrong direction for F1, but it does not mean that the challenge of overtaking has been completely eradicated. Standing at the side of the track at Monza, watching 2 cars battling wheel to wheel at over 210mph, it gives you an appreciation of just how good these drivers are.

You also mention that the drivers are like robots, who are not allowed to say what is on their minds, but this the way that all modern sports are heading, due to the to the way that society has become obsessed with being politically correct.

I`ll leave you with this: If the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix did not get you excited, then no form of motorsport ever will!
Old 1 Jan 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3183648)   #21
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartincolin View Post
Your argument seems to be centred on the fact that the majority of people who watch F1 do not actually participate in motorsport themselves. Well, I for one am participating in motorsport (Karting) which is not exactly the pinnacle of motorsport, but you have to start somewhere.

I am a massive fan of F1,and I get the impression that you do not appreciate what driving an F1 car entails and how good the drivers actually are. People who have never attended a grand prix very rarely realise that TV does not do F1 justice. I appreciate that many F1 fans are not in the position to attend a grand prix, but I`m just putting that out there. Admittedly, I feel that DRS is a step in the wrong direction for F1, but it does not mean that the challenge of overtaking has been completely eradicated. Standing at the side of the track at Monza, watching 2 cars battling wheel to wheel at over 210mph, it gives you an appreciation of just how good these drivers are.

You also mention that the drivers are like robots, who are not allowed to say what is on their minds, but this the way that all modern sports are heading, due to the to the way that society has become obsessed with being politically correct.

I`ll leave you with this: If the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix did not get you excited, then no form of motorsport ever will!

Not true at all.
There are plenty of motor sports that I enjoy.
I get excited every time we race.
I can appreciate there skills in an f1 car. I do not have there abilities. But did not state that.

My comments are true.

Why are some of you so angry?
Insulting my grammar and spelling isn’t anything to do with the thread. im sure everyone on the earth has some faults and makes mistakes.
Do you think I should not be allowed to post on here for that reason? Or have I hit a nerve.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3183679)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Haha, I love the F1 section,

so, we cant really say F1 is boring, but I dont think many did?

One person just commented that is might be a little manufactured, which in a way it is.

But the show is a bit better.

Anyone here like WWF?
Old 2 Jan 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3183682)   #23
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
people f1 is not real Motorsport !! fact .. its manufactured for tv .its nearly one make racing for god sake ... it might make good viewing down the local boozer but come on real Motorsport fans are watching itv4 anyway .The drivers (most) are mindless corporate zombies to scared to say a word wrong ..the cars look and sound the same ...lets go back to the days of free engine configuration free tyres and freedom of speech

"any one got a fag"

James hunt after wining the 1976 British GP!!!
Old 2 Jan 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3183698)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy View Post
real Motorsport fans are watching itv4 anyway.

!
The British Bumper Car Championship? With success ballast? That's also manufactured then. And the driving ethics are so lacking nowadays that it takes the excitement out of it for me.

That term 'real fans' that gets bandied about is quite annoying and unjust and actually for all the snobbery of F1 appears almost snobby and superior itself (not you I hasten to add, but the idea that those "in the know" know Formula 1 is crap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy View Post
its nearly one make racing for god sake
But so is a lot of excellent motorsport, including at club level.

I think I would like fewer races than 20. Some of that week-long excitement preceding a race has faded for me, whilst my interest in F1 has certainly not. I do think fewer races would make each of them more of a "Grand Prix".
Old 2 Jan 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3183757)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More posts moved over here rather than ruining the other thread. Please think of other users and what they would like to discuss too.