Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3228356)   #1
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Lewis Hamilton ever win another F1 WDC?

After watching Lewis having to reign in his pace to fuel save (again), do we think that he's got a chance of winning another WDC ever? I'm not doubting he hasn't got the pace or the talent, but with a limited amount of fuel in a current F1 car is he always going to be found wanting now and again. Thinking back to when he won his WDC in 2008, they were able to refuel the cars, so the lack of fuel economy wasn't really an issue for him then.

Thoughts?

or is is too early to tell and 2014 could play into his hands, although I'm starting to doubt this now.

Don't get me wrong, I like his pace and exuberance on the race track, but I just don't think it suits his style and may never do, unless refuelling is brought back in.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3228358)   #2
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm pretty sure he will, he's too determined not to. I don't think the fuel is a big deal, he probably fuels the car too light on purpose to get a bit of extra speed when he needs it. Not because he's burning more than other drivers.

You never can tell though, new guys can come up quick - Vettel was only around for two full seasons before he became champ. Hamilton only one. Alonso three. It doesn't take long if you're with the right team. You never know, the next great driver could be stringing together titles by 2016 and we don't even know his name yet.

Bianchi, Vergne, Perez, Danny... they could be the guys winning titles in the latter half of 2010s.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 07:16 (Ref:3228362)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I don't think the fuel is a big deal, he probably fuels the car too light on purpose to get a bit of extra speed when he needs it. Not because he's burning more than other drivers.
Ross Brawn explicitly said so after the Malasian GP. The team underestimated the time it took the track to dry, and therefore put less fuel in the car then needed. Rosberg did not only have to back out to keep Hamilton on the podium, but also to have enough fuel to finish.

About another title: at the moment he is one of the best drivers on the grid. But for a title everything has to fall on the right place. If Brawn can built a car in the next years that is fast enough, he has a good chance.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3228376)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Drivers that change teams do not always get the reults they expect, but he has the talent but then so do quite a few other drivers in equally good cars so luck as always will play a big part
Old 3 Apr 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3228401)   #5
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
About another title: at the moment he is one of the best drivers on the grid. But for a title everything has to fall on the right place. If Brawn can built a car in the next years that is fast enough, he has a good chance.
This.

Lewis not only needs to be on top of his game but also needs to be in a car not only capable of regularly challenging for the lead but also reliable enough to finish races, as well as needing to not be frequently wrecked, no penalties, consistently good pit stops, and no major strategy blunders from the team. 2012 served as a great example as to how he can do it all right (mostly, anyway) and still lose it because of lots of other things like bungled pit stops, under-fueling, and poor reliability.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3228432)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
This.

Lewis not only needs to be on top of his game but also needs to be in a car not only capable of regularly challenging for the lead but also reliable enough to finish races, as well as needing to not be frequently wrecked, no penalties, consistently good pit stops, and no major strategy blunders from the team. 2012 served as a great example as to how he can do it all right (mostly, anyway) and still lose it because of lots of other things like bungled pit stops, under-fueling, and poor reliability.
With all that going for him Captain Slow could win the WDC
Old 3 Apr 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3228449)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think after his stint at Mercedes he'll pick one up. At Mercedes, no.

Vettel might stand in his way to do this. He'll be like a brick wall at Red Bull for years to come.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3228474)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No chance. mentally he doesnt have it. fluked one because he was in the right car at the right time
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3228501)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're brilliant peckstar. I wish I was as witty as you.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3228540)   #10
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The laws of probability say "Yes". The laws of considered opinion say "Well,..."
Old 3 Apr 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3228559)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wait and see. I think he will be champion again.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3228573)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He might, he might not. Doesn't really matter.

One thing is for sure, he isn't using so much more fuel (or tyres) than other drivers that this is hampering him.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3228576)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I suppose it will depend if the the Newey-Red Bull-Renualt-Vettel squad can land on their feet with these new rules or whether Hambo can get a seat on that dream team if the dream team do make the new rules work.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3228588)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think there's every possibility that sometime over the next three years Mercedes will develop a car capable of winning the championship.

If that season coincides with good, consistent form by the driver, some good tactical decisions by the team, a lack of silly mistakes by both, and a chunk of luck (i.e. all the things that go together to make any championship) then Lewis can win again.

However I don't expect he'll ever become dominant - there will always be factors beyond his and the team's control. The main one being Vettel.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3228593)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I think Wolff is a late appointment to sell that team off. I don't see them winning a WC.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3228600)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I predict Vettel's next title (after this season) won't be with Red Bull.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3228621)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
What! Another driver thread? Can't be!

Will he indeed, will he indeed. I suppose it depends on whether or not Mercedes are taking things seriously enough. They seem to be. They've pretty much signed up every other design engineer/team principle/what have you, that are not currently signed up by other F1 teams.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3228625)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
No chance. mentally he doesnt have it. fluked one because he was in the right car at the right time
He will. He's mentally strong enough. And he might fluke one by being in the right car at the right time.

There, Pecky, a perfectly well-formed and researched reply.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3228630)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
He might, he might not. Doesn't really matter.
Yeah, the emphasis on the drivers' championship got OTT a while ago. What happened to the term 'Grand Prix'?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3228683)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Yeah, the emphasis on the drivers' championship got OTT a while ago. What happened to the term 'Grand Prix'?
I guess it became obsolete.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3228787)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
He will. He's mentally strong enough. And he might fluke one by being in the right car at the right time.

There, Pecky, a perfectly well-formed and researched reply.
Well done. and might i say just as valid as any discusion in this thread.

I mean seriously, suddenly we are getting out Crystal Balls. We have no idea. other than preference.

By the way. he wont because his Brain and his Balls are never engaged at the same time. always one or the other. thus too many stupid mistakes.

Last edited by Born Racer; 3 Apr 2013 at 22:08. Reason: Cut out stupid trolling.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3228813)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Vettel's brains and balls were sure simultaneously engaged in Malaysia weren't they?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3228815)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Vettel's brains and balls were sure simultaneously engaged in Malaysia weren't they?
If this was a Vettel thread we could discuss that.

You should consider discussing the topic at hand
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3228818)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Pray, do tell. Why were you discussing Vettel then? (Before I edited your usual silly post).

Peckstar, stop derailing the thread or you'll get points. Everyone else, carry on and let's stop this being another sorry tale of a ruined thread by a minority who do not understand Ten-Tenths and the standards we uphold.

Thank you and smile.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3228822)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
ha ha. Ive written 2 posts where i have discussed why Hamilton wont win anotehr F1 WDC and one where i have said i wont be discussing your off topic post (now this where you publically berate me and cause me to defend my self)

youve written 4 and havent discussed it once.

whos doing the derailling

thank you and please discuss the topic at hand