Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1763153)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Australia needs Lemon Laws.

In the States, if a car has 3 defects the customer is entitled to a refund.
The VE Commondore has had 2 serious recalls already.
1. Possible fuel leak that could lead to loss of life.
2. Faulty seat belts that could lead to loss of life.
3 strikes and your out.
It's time for Australia to introduce Lemon Laws so we can rid our roads of this safety disaster.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:48 (Ref:1763168)   #2
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The day billy posts something pro-Holden is the day hell freezes over.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1763170)   #3
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
The day billy posts something pro-Holden is the day hell freezes over.
I like their blimp
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1763172)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Nov 2006, 04:00 (Ref:1763183)   #5
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's time for Australia to introduce Lemon Laws so we can rid our roads of this safety disaster.
Errr....you guys built the lemon.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1763199)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Don't mind him AB, he's pro-Holden .
Old 11 Nov 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1763278)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No point in telling him how to suck a lemon then.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1763332)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any point in continuing this thread or shall I lock it?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1763344)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of cars have recalls out on things, Toyota has one on brake master cylinders (Toyota has ALOT of things that have recalls on them, more than you would thing from a manufacturer like Toyota), Volvo has them on cooling fans that can catch fire, tie rod ends that can break, Suzuki has one on Ignition barrels etc etc, it's totally normal, it's not continual things going wrong etc, they have warrantys too you know..I'd never buy a modern (2000ish+) car without a warranty (euro especially)

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1763365)   #10
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First sensible post in the thread, thank you!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1763474)   #11
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never understood the general consumer attitude when things break. They instantly assume that it is entirely the manufacturers fault and that everything the manufacturer builds is junk. I've worked in a manufacturing plant and I can guarantee that it is impossible to have every product be perfect, no matter what the Japanese manufacturing companies try to make it look like. There is always going to be defective products. A lot of the defects are also not due to the manufacturer, but rather the supplier. I worked building microwaves and we got all of our assembly parts from outside suppliers. There is always the chance that a part may look good and function good when inspected, but in the field it will fail in a fairly short time.

I terms of lemon laws it is entirely possible to have several things go wrong depending on the luck of the draw. I don't think its fair to blame manufacturers entirely as it opens the flood gates for law suits and other problems. The next thing you know somebody will be suing Ford for putting gas in their diesel truck or something because a dealer representative wasn't there holding their hand. Granted I would be pretty angry if I got a defective vehicle, but then again I don't think I would ever buy a brand new car so its kind of a moot point anyway.

J.D.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1764277)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
exactly, both of Holden's issues with the new VE have been due to outside suppliers (wonder if they are chinese/taiwan, as the Australian content is getting lower).

Unfortunatly alot more early build cars have issues than later ones of the same model, my old man had a really early build BA XR6 Falcon for a work car and it had issues too, a big gap in the dash, occasional non-starting....something else too, anyway, all issues got fixed by the dealer, as it was under warranty.

My own model of car(R31 Skyline Aus build 1986-1990), when new was having issues with red paint fading, quite a number of them got warranty resprays, not sure if mine did, as it's red but the bonnet isn't as faded as the roof, you would thing they would fade at the same rate unless one has been painted at some time.

I work for a Volvo dealer, we had a car that broke down the day after the customer had taken delivery of it, had to get towed back in. Not sure what the issue was, but it came in another time broken down aswell that same week, but hasn't had any issues since.

Just for some perspective, there have been 50 different recalls issued for cars sold in Australia, just in the last 4 months

http://www.recalls.gov.au/view_recal...?recall_type=5

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 12 Nov 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1764292)   #13
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
That list makes interesting reading- and it could be argued that all of those recalls are for problems that "Could lead to loss of life" in some roundabout way!!
if all of those 'safety disasters' were taken off the roads Australia would be a much better place- the roads would be empty for a start, leading to a big drop in road accidents and pollution levels.......etc...etc...
Old 29 Nov 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1778015)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All new cars have issues and recalls. That is why I won't buy the first model year of any vehicle. FWIW...here in the states, recalls do not count for the lemon law unless they are unable to repair the problem. The three incidents must be unrelated and attempts at repair must be made.

Edit...your also lucky to drive such a good looking and well built car.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 05:51 (Ref:1778293)   #15
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
That list makes interesting reading- and it could be argued that all of those recalls are for problems that "Could lead to loss of life" in some roundabout way!!
If they are not an issue of that nature the manufacturers usually take a more low-key approach to things
Old 2 Dec 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1780262)   #16
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see the problem tbh, as long as any issue is dealt with by the vendor / manufacturer under warrentee then that's fine by me. I was at a Fiat garage once and a guy was having a real go at one of their sales staff. I was waiting for my car to be finished and listening in (was hard not to!) turns out he'd bought a brand new Punto the day before, and it'd already stopped dead. Despite the sales guy trying to keep cool and explain they were sorry and it was now fixed, the guy didn't want to know. He was under the impression that a brand new car should never fail and refused to leave until he'd got a full explaination and apology from the boss
Old 4 Dec 2006, 03:31 (Ref:1781276)   #17
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble is when the same problem occurs 10 times, or 10 different problems. You occaisionally hear of new cars spending scary amounts of time back at the dealership. Particularly for the recurring issues, so long as they continually band-aid or guess a repair, there is nothing the consumer can do. At what point does enough become enough?