Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Jan 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3794365)   #1651
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
If you go allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way to the top of the stands you can see everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok9FOITzUkI

Start of the race from last year from where we sat - not quite all the way up.

Last edited by Matt; 22 Jan 2018 at 19:45.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3794382)   #1652
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Here's a video from a little over an hour into the 2016 race - from nearly the top of the stands, I think I was two or three rows from the absolute top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGBZMILN8M
Old 22 Jan 2018, 22:47 (Ref:3794408)   #1653
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
As much as I like the overview (and certainly not to be tacky) I prefer to be up close to race car traffic - fast corners are the best!
Old 23 Jan 2018, 00:27 (Ref:3794428)   #1654
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
As much as I like the overview (and certainly not to be tacky) I prefer to be up close to race car traffic - fast corners are the best!
Oh, you can get close in the fast corners.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3794536)   #1655
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Oh, you can get close in the fast corners.
the kink in the infield and the bus stop are both great viewing spots for sure.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3794543)   #1656
sccaflagger74
Rookie

United States
Media, PA
sccaflagger74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
the kink in the infield and the bus stop are both great viewing spots for sure.
Now that the backstretch stands are gone can you still get to the bus stop?
Old 23 Jan 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3794555)   #1657
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaflagger74 View Post
Nope. I wish they'd put something out there though.

BRING BACK THE PARTY PORCH.

I wanna watch Tracy Krohn piledrive someone in the busstop at 2a while slingin beers.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3794558)   #1658
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wanna watch Tracy Krohn piledrive someone in the busstop at 2a while slingin beers.
If he's slingin' beers, that would explain a lot about his driving.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3794563)   #1659
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
If he's slingin' beers, that would explain a lot about his driving.
I'LL be the one slingin' beers!

It's a Daytona tradition!
Old 23 Jan 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3794578)   #1660
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccaflagger74 View Post
Quote:
Nope. I wish they'd put something out there though.

BRING BACK THE PARTY PORCH.

Mannnnn that sucks. Last time I attended i had a photo vest so i was right there on the inside wall. I didn't realize the party porch was gone.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3794594)   #1661
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Michelin is going to be offering testing opportunities for teams in prep for the 2019 season after some races this year. Good opportunity to collect data on the backs of a race weekend.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-notebook.html
Old 24 Jan 2018, 02:12 (Ref:3794641)   #1662
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2018 Sebring Poster:

Old 24 Jan 2018, 02:43 (Ref:3794646)   #1663
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
2018 Sebring Poster:

What's that dpi on the left side of the poster?
Old 24 Jan 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3794684)   #1664
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such an accurate poster! mazda dpi lapped by cadillac and acura and struggling to get rid of GTLM cars on straight.

BTW quoting dailysport article:
"The engine retains the same block configuration, with changes to the cam crankshaft (stroke), connecting rod (length) and piston (compression height). The engine produces 552hp at 6550 rpm with IMSA Mandated Sonic Air Restrictors as of 2018 Rolex 24hr"

Has new bop cut them 30hp?
Corvette dp power levels basically
Old 24 Jan 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3794779)   #1665
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Not really sure where this fits, but IMSA extended homologation for all its classes by 1 year:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...ation-periods/

Gives more time to discuss future P class with the ACO.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 01:59 (Ref:3794852)   #1666
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
AJR (Job) to cease pro racing operations. http://autoweek.com/article/imsa/ale...ion-operations
:
I totally missed this, noticed the other day they were not on D24 entry list and then searched...

Very much the end of an era. Glad they will continue with the historics and Porsches
Old 25 Jan 2018, 04:10 (Ref:3794861)   #1667
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I totally missed this, noticed the other day they were not on D24 entry list and then searched...

Very much the end of an era. Glad they will continue with the historics and Porsches
For as well as IMSA is doing, we've lost some pretty massive teams from the series over the last few years (FLM, Dyson, AJR, Brumos, TRG, Starworks)
Old 25 Jan 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3794885)   #1668
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
And patron is being bought by Bacardi. How will that affect their future? I hope they continue to race.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3794942)   #1669
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I thought (according to comments made on the purchase) that Bacardi already was a stakeholder in Patron? That may or may not change anything.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3794959)   #1670
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
For as well as IMSA is doing, we've lost some pretty massive teams from the series over the last few years (FLM, Dyson, AJR, Brumos, TRG, Starworks)
Very much so, did not even mention the two biggest loses in the last couple years: Falken Tire and SRT Dodge Viper teams. Starworks is still around by the way running the North American operation for Land Audi now.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3794979)   #1671
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I thought (according to comments made on the purchase) that Bacardi already was a stakeholder in Patron? That may or may not change anything.
Minority one, correct. And yes, we'll have to wait and see - no leadership changes to the company announced as of yet.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3794981)   #1672
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Very much so, did not even mention the two biggest loses in the last couple years: Falken Tire and SRT Dodge Viper teams. Starworks is still around by the way running the North American operation for Land Audi now.
Easily off set by Penske and Joest joining the party. Among with quite a few other privateer squads. Just the usual 'rotation' - like we use to see over time.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3795022)   #1673
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post

Not sure if you're much into social media stuff but they've been posting a lot of current projects on their instagram, they look pretty busy!

https://www.instagram.com/alexjobracing/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
However tenured, there are pretty good reasons for most of those teams no longer running.

FLM - Rich-guy owned funded Porsche factory 'blessed' team. Was a 10-year deal, 03-2013. After that Seth sold his stake and they are now a customer team, so wherever they are paid to race, is where they race.

Dyson - Rich guy owned and funded team. Probably the biggest loss since as far as I know, they probably still have the funds to race, but have chosen not to. Of all the teams in the USA, Dyson is still "the" independent prototype team to me.

AJR - Former customer team turned factory team turned customer racing team turned historics. Like FLM, AJR went where they were paid to race, and once the Weathertech money left I doubt they had any choice. It's cool to see them doing well with the historic stuff. It's really fun racing.

Brumos - Once Bob Snodgrass died, from what I heard, it was a struggle to keep the team running, since he was really the money behind and heart and soul of the Brumos dealership (outside of Hurley of course). This is just based on what I was told.

TRG -- The definition of a customer team. No drivers to pay them, no racing.

Starworks -- Still around in the same way that FLM is, as mentioned, running the LAND operation in the states. I think they lost out a lot once the Venezuelan money dried up.

I think the loss of most of those teams= comes down to the lack of real sponsorship available these days. Any one of them, if they had the ability to secure proper sponsorship, would undoubtedly be racing this weekend.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3795027)   #1674
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post

Dyson - Rich guy owned and funded team. Probably the biggest loss since as far as I know, they probably still have the funds to race, but have chosen not to. Of all the teams in the USA, Dyson is still "the" independent prototype team to me.

I think the loss of most of those teams= comes down to the lack of real sponsorship available these days. Any one of them, if they had the ability to secure proper sponsorship, would undoubtedly be racing this weekend.
I remember being at VIR (would that have been 2013?) which was the first ALMS race after the upcoming merger was announced. I happened to be down in the paddock and walked past Rob Dyson right at the perfect moment. He was talking with someone else and as I walked by said pretty emphatically, "I'm not racing in that bulls*t series with those amateur teams (referring to Grand Am DP prototypes)".

And they never did...
Old 25 Jan 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3795033)   #1675
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
IMSA Just re-booted their online store today.

Check it out here! https://team-imsa.mycloveronline.com/

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 25 Jan 2018 at 18:09.