Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2001, 01:19 (Ref:125724)   #1
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers commenting on other Drivers

i just reading TGF jr's comments on Alonso:
"I wouldn't even recognise him because I haven't really seen him yet and I haven't really watched what he is doing," said Schumacher.
"I saw he was always quicker than Tarso Marques but then, not to be unfair to Tarso, you wouldn't consider him as one of the best options to learn from or to be looked at," concluded Schumacher.

Recently Verstappen publicly critisized Bernoldi.
Is this a common thing in F1?(started watching F1 since JPM left CART)
or In Europe in general?
I cant recall an incident in the NBA, NFL, MLB where players bad-mouthed other players in the public eye (or even commented on their performances). There obviously is trash-talking in the sports i mentioned and incidents (Clemens - Piazza) but it just seems to be of a different tone.
I cant imagine Jordan, Lemeuix, Gretzky, Ripken, Montana saying outright or implying that they were above and beyond anyone else in their respective sports.
Yet we see this in F1 from EI, JV to name a couple claiming superiority, who arguably are not the best IMO.

Last edited by Powered by JPM; 4 Aug 2001 at 01:22.
Old 4 Aug 2001, 01:25 (Ref:125726)   #2
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Copy my name why don't ya!
Can't you come up with something more original?
c'mon?
Old 4 Aug 2001, 01:35 (Ref:125732)   #3
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm...i registered in April and you in June...so i went back in time to copy you?
oh...and my car is (err...was)powered by honda since '97
(long car accident story, here are the pics):
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12812452&f=0
Old 4 Aug 2001, 01:39 (Ref:125733)   #4
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er.... um.....
sorry my bad there.
anywho, no hard feelings, welcome to the forum
Old 4 Aug 2001, 09:55 (Ref:125784)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Doesn't it depend on what you consider to be "bad-mouthing"? I don't think that what Ralf said about Alonso is bad-mouthing. He's just stating a fact - that he hasn't really seen what he can do.

In some cases, such as Verstappen and Bernoldi, there is bad-mouthing going on, but if you look at some other sports you'd probably see competitors doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Powered by JPM
Is this a common thing in F1?
It can be quite common, but it's by no means exclusive to F1!
Old 4 Aug 2001, 18:33 (Ref:125864)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I don't think that what Ralf said about Alonso is bad-mouthing. He's just stating a fact - that he hasn't really seen what he can do.
R Girl he's too busy doing his own job.

Old 4 Aug 2001, 19:18 (Ref:125872)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In F1 it is important to have a mental edge, so this sort of stuff probably helps.
Old 4 Aug 2001, 20:04 (Ref:125883)   #8
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I can think of a couple players who bad-mouthed others in American sports.
Gary Payton is notorius for his trash talk on the court.
Charles Woodson said in his rookie year that he was the best player on the team.
Charles Barkley wouldnt shut up.
Mohammed Ali...
It happens in all sports. The just say different things.
Old 4 Aug 2001, 22:41 (Ref:125947)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie irvine has to take the prize for this doesn't he???

As an interesting bit of trivia loosely related to the thread, in Australia to Ralf means vomitting, believe it or not
Old 4 Aug 2001, 23:36 (Ref:125962)   #10
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"...in Australia to Ralf means vomitting..."

same in the US.
Old 4 Aug 2001, 23:40 (Ref:125964)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
Eddie irvine has to take the prize for this doesn't he???

As an interesting bit of trivia loosely related to the thread, in Australia to Ralf means vomitting, believe it or not
NOW I understand Moffie's opinions...
Old 5 Aug 2001, 00:22 (Ref:125981)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Please please please let Moffat mean something crude in another language - anyone?
Old 5 Aug 2001, 00:26 (Ref:125982)   #13
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Powered by JPM
hmm...i registered in April and you in June...so i went back in time to copy you?
oh...and my car is (err...was)powered by honda since '97
(long car accident story, here are the pics):
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12812452&f=0

ARE YOU MICHAEL J. FOX??!? hehe
Old 5 Aug 2001, 00:29 (Ref:125984)   #14
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF
In F1 it is important to have a mental edge, so this sort of stuff probably helps.

if thats the case, EDDIE IRVINE with all the edge, must win the WDC this year!!
Old 5 Aug 2001, 00:41 (Ref:125989)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Hey... HI f1grandprixshop !!!!

Couldn't be you find an easy nick ????

Ok... just kidding.

WELCOME !!!!!!

I think you have the sense of humour that fit in our forums...

I'll let the others you welcome...
Old 5 Aug 2001, 10:40 (Ref:126083)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to the boards, F1grandprixshop. And you are quite correct about Irvine...with all the trashing he does of other drivers he should be winning every race.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 13:37 (Ref:126146)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nelson Piquet was the king of trash talk - he used to enrage Mansell by saying that Senna was gay and he could prove it (never did that I know about), that Mansell's wife was ugly, that various teams were run by the Mob or the owners and drivers were crooks, and the best one of all, that Senna was nothing but a Sao Paolo taxi driver.

Senna, of course, said a lot of rude things about Prost, although he would not say Prost's name - called him "The Frenchman" or "some people"; and TGF used to say that Senna was a dangerous driver and someone should speak to the stewards about him. (Senna, of course, is well known for punching Irvine in the mouth; and Mansell tried once to strangle Senna. Fortunately we have risen above this level in today's F1, or else nobody these days knows how to fight.)
Old 5 Aug 2001, 20:50 (Ref:126284)   #18
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Ralf-y boy is starting a trend, what with trying to denounce his team mate by saying he being reckless with his engine...
Old 6 Aug 2001, 02:05 (Ref:126405)   #19