Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 May 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3730519)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But there were many other excellent grids.
Old 2 May 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3730523)   #77
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to add something....

Electric hookup was available in some areas of the paddock which normally dont it.
Whoever put this in place then charged 40 (!) pounds for the weekend.
This was enforced quite aggressively, including the confiscation of cables.

Personally, I would not have minded to pay something, but 40 pounds was a bit rich, even if they had to bring in and install a generator unit
for that money i can run my genny all weekend

the paddock in Donington was planned in a different era and for a different kind of event

they did what they could by tearing down some old WW2 buildings and tarmacking the freed up area
this might be the extent to which you can reasonably go at that end of the paddock, however unpopular it is
this would change if hookup were offered there

unfortunately space is rarest where it would be the most valuable
i.e. directly behind the pits
it would be great to move the fence away from this a bit into the free area and create more space

the Juniors were in the pits and it was not really a privilege as we had job to get to the assembly area vie the live pitlane as the way out of the back was completely blocked
the marshalls tried to help as best as they could

RuE
Old 2 May 2017, 10:42 (Ref:3730527)   #78
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
But there were many other excellent grids.
It wasn't only that. I had a busy week, tired etc. Needed a day of just resting.
Old 2 May 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3730532)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
I have to add something....

Electric hookup was available in some areas of the paddock which normally dont it.
Whoever put this in place then charged 40 (!) pounds for the weekend.
This was enforced quite aggressively, including the confiscation of cables.

Personally, I would not have minded to pay something, but 40 pounds was a bit rich, even if they had to bring in and install a generator unit
for that money i can run my genny all weekend
I think the availability of power in some parts of the paddock was mentioned last year, but £40 to connect is verging on extortion.... Another good reason to only visit the place once a year (or less), and with van and trailer only!

Quote:
the Juniors were in the pits and it was not really a privilege as we had job to get to the assembly area vie the live pitlane as the way out of the back was completely blocked
the marshalls tried to help as best as they could
RuE
Yes, that was awkward for you all, having to drive down a live pit lane during the race before. I did wave from the pitwall as you went past making two-stroke noises- the car, not you.....
Old 2 May 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3730544)   #80
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sorry if I missed the wave
totally focused before the race.....

RuE
Old 2 May 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3730549)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

totally focused before the race.....

RuE
As you should be. Wouldn't expect anything else!
Old 3 May 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3730707)   #82
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I paid for the electricity, £30, if you're there for over 3 days that's not the end of the world, and as in our case have got a few ppl to share cost.
If not you could always talk to the people close and split/share the cost (quietly obviously...!)

More of the problem was people splitting it 5 ways directly out the point which we couldn't see, and overloading it! Knowing full well somebody had paid for it.
Old 3 May 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3730737)   #83
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nuthall View Post
I paid for the electricity. More of the problem was people splitting it 5 ways directly out the point which we couldn't see, and overloading it! Knowing full well somebody had paid for it.
Overloading! How often do we see that.....

Most annoying is when you're happily connected and a late-comer unplugs you without asking, takes over the socket and plugs you into a splitter that doesn't work! Happened to me twice. Grrr.....

Edit- I've just read the Donny Paddock regulations that were apparantly in the goody bag given out at signing on. Item 10- No Daisy Chaining of paid for power supplies.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 3 May 2017 at 19:12. Reason: Addition
Old 4 May 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3731081)   #84
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like I will have to wait for next year to see any handywork of Dr Palmer then

A batch of cars that ran on Saturday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0202.jpg   IMG_0205.jpg   IMG_0491.jpg  

IMG_0718.jpg   IMG_1048.jpg   IMG_1373.jpg  

Old 5 May 2017, 03:22 (Ref:3731116)   #85
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've enjoyed reading through this post and looking at the entry lists and pics, but it strikes me as rather odd that Group A Touring Cars (my favourite) are split into two separate grids, each of which includes other cars...?
Old 5 May 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3731125)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I've enjoyed reading through this post and looking at the entry lists and pics, but it strikes me as rather odd that Group A Touring Cars (my favourite) are split into two separate grids, each of which includes other cars...?
David, the meeting included two touring car series that both encompass GpA cars, but previously different periods! The Super Touring series now allows earlier cars (also Gp2), and the Motor Racing Legends series (HTCC) now allows later normally aspirated (plus 1600cc turbo) cars up to 1990..... Hence E30 M3 in the latter, but no Sierra, which was in the SuperTourer race.

Hope that makes sense- of some sort....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 5 May 2017 at 06:17.
Old 5 May 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3731131)   #87
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To take this a little further:

The MRL Historic Touring Car Challenge originally catered for the pre 1986 Group A; Groups 1 and 2 from 1971-1981; and, Group 5 which I believe was a peculiarly British touring car regime from 1967 to 1970.

For last year they split it into Group A to 1986 and Turbo's up to 1600; Group 2; and, Group 5. The Tony Dron Trophy which runs as part of the HTCC is solely for Group 1 and 1B.

The theory was that the Sierras and M3s were too developed and thus to include them would preclude the entry for BMW 635s and Rovers etc. However the M3s are now permitted but the Sierras are not.

The Supertouring Challenge was developed to run Supertourers (I stand to be corrected). These are significantly expensive to run so they also catered for the post 1986 Group A cars. But as is the case for many series, they have now opened it up to Group 1 and 2 and all other Group A cars. Bit of a shame really because, for my money I'd love to see a grid full of Supertourers but it seems unlikely. Perhaps one of the problems is that prior to Supertouring you could run a car for more than a season and be competitive. With Supertourers a 1993 car will no longer be capable of running with a 1994 car.
Old 5 May 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3731135)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Peter- I had a train to catch !
Old 5 May 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3731145)   #89
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aah, I see. In Australia, there is just one series for Group A Touring Cars and it is organised by the competitors, to ensure we get the best deal from promoters and we get solid grids by not having too many or too few rounds.

Every Group A car is eligible, whether it be a 635 or an RS500 or even a Corolla.
Old 5 May 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3731148)   #90
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are there enough cars/entrants out there to support these splits?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 5 May 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3731156)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As far as MRL is concerned it was a full grid at Donington.

And don't forget, the Members Meeting attracts a full grid of Group 1 cars from UK and Europe.
Old 5 May 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3731161)   #92
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's good. sounds like a growth area, I'm glad to see it, nothing like a good grid of saloon racers.
Old 5 May 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3731163)   #93
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I was a little sad to see so few supertourers. Has the bubble burst (again!)?
Old 5 May 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3731167)   #94
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
See my point above.
Old 5 May 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3731193)   #95
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Random Images

A few from Donington: Words and gallery www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7600.JPG   DSC_7735.JPG   DSC_7826.JPG  

DSC_8700.JPG   DSC_8614.JPG   DSC_8536.JPG  

Old 5 May 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3731271)   #96
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
See my point above.
One for you.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7786.JPG  
Old 5 May 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3731290)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thank you.
Old 6 May 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3731433)   #98
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First visit to the Festival and I enjoyed it but only went on the Sunday. Highlight was Richard Evans' drive from 16th to 1st in less than 3 and a half laps in F2. What appeared to be an avoidable incident spoiled a good race at the front of the last touring car race and an incredibly long safety car session in the U2TC race the only slight downsides to a really good event. Even the small Super Touring entry provided good racing at the front and the back of the field. I will go again.
Old 8 May 2017, 18:02 (Ref:3732290)   #99
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Couple of pages back I stated that 'from memory' the 1000km series for sports racers and certain touring cars (hence the CSL entered) incorporated the HSCC Martini Trophy. Wrong! Thank you memory.....

It is the 'Pre-'80s Endurance' series that has absorbed the Martini cars, still under the HSCC wing but now co-promoted by Flavien & Vanessa Marcais. (GTSCC)

The series will be racing at the HSCC Silverstone International meeting weekend after next. Fingers crossed for a good grid.