Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3725892)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Alonso - Could We See Him Sooner Than Expected?

Well the following is of interest
https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/fer...130619131.html

If he can get a good drive i think we will see him soon
Old 12 Apr 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3725895)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Alonso will do a Webber and join the WEC after his F1 career is over. Maybe a bit of a three-year plan like his friend did.

Not sure whether he will keep trying to slot the 500 into his schedule each year from now on. Either way it's refreshing to see someone who really loves racing - not just the F1 paddock/bubble.

Nice little reality check for F1 too - as its most popular driver sidesteps its biggest race.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3725916)   #3
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Yes please.

From a personal standpoint, I was content to sit at home the last weekend in May and watch the race on TV. Now I am planning on making the 8 hour drive to watch in person, all because of Alonso.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3725941)   #4
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I said as much in the single seater thread. Alonso's chase for the elusive third world title has been over since he left Ferrari and now he has publicly moved on to his other dream pursuit - the Triple Crown. We know he's been courted and has expressed an interest in Le Mans before, but that will probably have to wait until he is no longer bound by the terms of his Honda contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi
Nice little reality check for F1 too - as its most popular driver sidesteps its biggest race.
This I'd contend; Alonso is still a big draw, but ultimately it's wins and titles that keep F1 drivers relevant and Fernando has been well short in this regard as of late. I agree with your point though - it would be churlish for anybody to play this off as simply Alonso being fed up with McLaren & Honda. However, if Liberty Media are on the ball they could use this to tap into the American market in a way that even Bernie didn't manage. There's a lot of goodwill amongst fans for this move from all corners, and I'm sure many people will be motivated to watch the 500 either for Alonso or for the return of McLaren (even if it is simply in name).
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3725953)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
This I'd contend; Alonso is still a big draw, but ultimately it's wins and titles that keep F1 drivers relevant and Fernando has been well short in this regard as of late.
I was a bit over-confident in my assessment as I read a misleading headline saying he'd won the current official fan survey. Turns out he's now been bumped into a close second by Lewis. But certainly we shouldn't underestimate how popular this guy still is.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...r-vote-892767/
Old 12 Apr 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3725980)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't there a story around that Penske is looking to run a US prototype deal for Honda/Acura? Wonder whether that might parlay into a Le Mans opportunity for Mr Alonso...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Apr 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3726230)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see JPM try it first, as he has already done the hard part of winning the Indy 500 and the Monaco GP, now all he needs is Le Mans
Old 14 Apr 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3726290)   #8
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso has the ambition to win the triple crown, so I guess he is looking for a LMP1 seat. Not gonna happen that Mclaren and Honda let him race in a rival brand like Porsche or Toyota.

But if he really want to do Le Mans, his boss at Mclaren (Zak Brown) has still a empty seat left for Le Mans in his other team: United Autosport. In Owen they have their mandatory Silver or Bronze driver, so there is place for a Platinum driver!
No need to skip another Grand Prix. So Fernando, it's time for the next big surprise.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3726531)   #9
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just the fact that Alonso is voicing the Tripple Crown wish, and actually going to the Brickyard raises him above his peers. The man has a bigger scope than the "mental teenagers" in F1.

Also, looking at his latest F1 race, I was more confident than ever that he is the best F1 driver in the world.
Old 16 Apr 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3726792)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree that Alonso is top draw for wanting to do all this. A great driver with wide horizons.

Not sure we have to disparage the others though, especially when the main example of "mental teenager" is one of the most exciting in any series. He's not had much chance to do anything else!

We could do with more people with wider horizons, but I'm not limiting myself to drivers.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3727324)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I'd like to see JPM try it first, as he has already done the hard part of winning the Indy 500 and the Monaco GP, now all he needs is Le Mans
The hard part????
Old 17 Apr 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3727349)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The hard part????
Well very few people get to race in F1, so Monaco GP can't be used as a one off like the Le Mans and to a lesser extent Indy 500
Old 17 Apr 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3727407)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, I get the opportunity bit, but I don't think that's all of the story.......
Old 17 Apr 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3727414)   #14
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Moving aside from sniping over how 'difficult' winning any of these is (I have done none so am in no position to comment), is it interesting that one Z Brown is now the CEO of McLaren and has 'something' to do with United Autosport who did rather well in the ELMS round this last weekend and who have an empty slot in an LMP2 for a somewhat significant race in France during June?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3727514)   #15
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/...f5e8b45dc.html
Old 18 Apr 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3727515)   #16
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Alonso has signed with Porsche apparently to race in next year's 24 hours????
Old 18 Apr 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3727533)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that is very interesting, if just to confirm that porsche will be around in 2018
Old 18 Apr 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3727605)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The hard part????
For me it's such an interesting debate. There's also a serious amount of variables and really the biggest complement you can give a guy who wins the triple crown is that they were good enough to be entrusted top machinery in all three disciplines.

I think all you can do is try and assume that a driver is in 'top' machinery for each one. I think the influence of a winning car is certainly higher in F1 and Le Mans. There's a lot of luck and random chance at the 500 regarding fuel mileage, cautions, crashes etc. There are always more potential winners going into the 500 than any Monaco GP or Le Mans.

Over-simplistic I know, but if Alonso was in a Porsche this year he'd have a 1 in 5 chance of winning Le Mans. In a Mercedes at Monaco this season I'd say it's roughly similar in terms of pace advantage.

Obviously this is all before you take into account which race is more physically demanding, challenges of the specific cars, circuits etc.

You could write a whole thesis on it.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3781356)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well just been confirmed he will race with Toyota next year, confirming that they will be there as well as Alonso behind the wheel, looks like he will contest most if not all of the 5 races next year
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3781462)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well just been confirmed he will race with Toyota next year, confirming that they will be there as well as Alonso behind the wheel, looks like he will contest most if not all of the 5 races next year
Where'd you get that from?
Old 19 Nov 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3781477)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I know he's testing but I've not yet seen any official confirmation - although I am expecting it.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3781485)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Where'd you get that from?
BBC and elsewhere on this forum
Old 19 Nov 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3781515)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This guy is clearly following the footsteps of Jacky Ickx in every way.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3781521)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
BBC and elsewhere on this forum
At the moment it is at the "we understand", "the BBC has learnt", etc... stage rather than confirmed. I suspect that is why S griffin was asking.

It's looking pretty much a done deal at the moment, but we wait an official announcement.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3781534)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Toyota have just announced that they will race in WEC next year. Probably best they waited till after this before announcing Alonso
https://twitter.com/fiawec/status/932321150260137984

Alonso says it would be nice to go endurance racing “one day”
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...in-toyota-test