Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Aug 2002, 19:07 (Ref:469793)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
60s/70s Prodsports-Modsports pics

Oulton Park 1968
Attached Thumbnails
mgb.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 19:10 (Ref:469794)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Chatham's famous Healey 3000 "DD300"
Attached Thumbnails
chatham.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 19:14 (Ref:469795)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Warren Pearce ( Father of Lister Cars boss Laurence) leads John Filbee and Mike Loveday at Brands 1968.
Attached Thumbnails
etypes.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 19:18 (Ref:469796)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Anyone have any pics to add?
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:23 (Ref:469808)   #5
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should have a few, one to start with
G Marshall and Bob Ellice Brands 1966
Attached Thumbnails
g marshall bob ellice.jpg  
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:27 (Ref:469797)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Excellent Fred! Here's another - Gabrielle Konig's Midget 1968.
Attached Thumbnails
gabriel.jpg  

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 5 Aug 2002 at 21:29.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:33 (Ref:469791)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone has a bigger shot of that E-Type with the shark's teeth motif on the nose?

And is it Filbee or Loveday who drove it?

(1/43rd scale miniature in mind....)
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:40 (Ref:469798)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Wish I had TimD! As a kid I loved that car - it looked great with the teeth -like a WWII fighter plane.
I remember the car was a bright orange and I'm sure it was Loveday. Fred or Racing fxgt - you got any of it?
Old 6 Aug 2002, 09:32 (Ref:469803)   #9
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Maklay's Daimler SP250
Attached Thumbnails
dart.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 09:35 (Ref:469804)   #10
racing fxgt
Racer

At Druids
Attached Thumbnails
brands.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:469805)   #11
racing fxgt
Racer

Hope you don't mind Fred found some of your's.
Leake in the Aston chased by Ian Richardson 5.4 AC Cobra
Attached Thumbnails
fred1.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:24 (Ref:469806)   #12
racing fxgt
Racer

Same as the first one 1970 Six Hour Relay Race Silverstone
Attached Thumbnails
fred2.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:51 (Ref:469807)   #13
racing fxgt
Racer

On the startline.
Attached Thumbnails
startline.jpg  
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:33 (Ref:469809)   #14
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the great pleasure of being part of the pit crew for Mike (Spinner) Loveday for some time in the late 60's. I can remember some great tales of those days. It was real story book stuff. I can even remember the teeth being painted on the front of the E-type and this kind of thing was typical of Mike's sense of humour. What a fantastic era and I feel priviledged to have been a small part of it. The pictures are bringing home alot of memories. Keep 'em coming!!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:05 (Ref:469799)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John, welcome aboard the forum. Am I right in remembering that Mike's E-type was orange? Those teeth scared the life out of me as a young kid but it certainly got noticed!
What became of Mike and do you have anymore pics of the car?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:30 (Ref:469790)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome aboard John.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:21 (Ref:469810)   #17
John Reeves
Rookie

I am afraid I do not have any pictures at all of those days. I was quite young then and we were just enjoying ourselves and taking pictures did not even come into it. That is something that with hindsight I deeply regret. I must say that seeing the car again has brought the memories flooding back and I spent quite a while last night telling my wife about the funnier moments. I think she was quite supprised at some of the antics. Normally the car used to be prepaired on the Saturday for racing on the Sunday. As usual the car was all up and running when we discovered that the transporter would not start. Only one thing for it, drive the car on the roads from Sidcup to Brands. Should have seen the faces of the other motorists on the roads. In the past I have made some enquiries as to what happend to Mike but I have heard nothing back. I do remember he used to live life to the full in those days though. Mike also used to own a club in Beckenham and many a time it was back to the club after the Brands meeting. Not many clubs had the DJ sitting in the back of a vintage white Rolls Royce. Yes the car was in the acually in the club!.
I could go on for hours. But I wont, don't worry.

Regards
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:35 (Ref:469811)   #18
John Reeves
Rookie

Andrew

Sorry forgot to confirm that the car was indeed orange and if you remember it also had eyebrows.

Regards
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:12 (Ref:469792)   #19
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forums, John. Hope we can provide a few more nostalgic memories for you.

You know, I think I've heard about that club. A little while back, one of the Classic car magazines reported a vintage Rolls Royce doing precisely the job you described.

When the time came that a collector gave the owners the proverbial offer they could not refuse, they had to break a hole in the side wall of the venue to get the car out.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 15:41 (Ref:469800)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John Filbee ( Jag E), John Chatham ( Healey) and Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey (Jag E) Silv 1968.
Attached Thumbnails
silvjage.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:00 (Ref:469801)   #21
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Roger Enever's Midget leads Holland's E-type. Brands 67.
Attached Thumbnails
enever.jpg  
Old 20 Oct 2002, 09:29 (Ref:469802)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A group of cars at Brands, 1967.
Attached Thumbnails
modsp.jpg  
Old 30 Jun 2007, 08:20 (Ref:1950290)   #23
JAG928s
Rookie

JAG928s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Warren Pearce ( Father of Lister Cars boss Laurence) leads John Filbee and Mike Loveday at Brands 1968.
Andrew, that's not John Filbee behind Warren Pearce, it was me. I sort of remember the race, Mike was known as "Spinner Loveday", he got off to an amazing start, Warren and I got past, and then 'Spinner' spun!
Old 30 Jun 2007, 14:11 (Ref:1950517)   #24
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

First time out in my Midget: not even enough time to paint it!

Lyydon, circa 1971? TEAC meeting.

Me in paddock conversing with pit crew (AKA wife!).

As an entrant (Felspeed Racing) I ran three Midgets, included Peter Beech.

Noting the reference to Roger never earlier in this thread, Peter's car was in fact one of the original Enever cars, which had been run by Robin Widdows and held production sports class car record at Nurembergring.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about this car was that Roger (apparently using Dad Sid's inside influence) managed to access the plant on a shutdown period and with an accomplice, they passed loads of aircraft quality NS4 alluminium alloy through the press tools and pressed out virtually a complete MG Midget in NS4!

The cars (two of I gather) were built using aircraft type rivets (same as single seater monocogues and something like Avdal Cherrylock rivets) and some form of metal bonding resin like Loctite.

Understandably, they were amazingly light!

When the regs changed in 1970 (??) and Modsports cars had to be original material within the wheelbase - measure from axle centre to axle centre, this left Peter with a problem: his car was scrap.

However not to be beaten, we took it into the bodyshop and opened up the rear wheelarches and inserted some 18 gauge mild steel sheet beneath the ally exterior skin!

Scrutineers in those days merely employed a magnet to test if the composition was ferrous.

Poor old senior RAC scrute Fred Mathews was pulling his hair out!

His magnet would slide off from the top bead (where the rear wing joined the boot closing panel) and slide down until it hit the bit immediately above the wheelarch and would then screech to a halt!

I convinced him this was caused by the loss of friction from the new highly glossy silicon-based body polish we were testing, aimed at cutting wind resistance!

Peter's car used a highly tweaked dry sump XSP F3 and although outclassed in size (as he was giving away 300 c.c.) it made up in power and aceleration!

Old 30 Jun 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1950613)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG928s
Andrew, that's not John Filbee behind Warren Pearce, it was me. I sort of remember the race, Mike was known as "Spinner Loveday", he got off to an amazing start, Warren and I got past, and then 'Spinner' spun!
JAG928s could you let us know who "you" are please. It's always nice to know racers names from present and past.