Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1104254)   #1
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your best moves & The best you have seen from your visor

Whats been your most proud overtaking/defending move? Whether it be successful or, well, nearly successful but your still proud of it upuntil it went wrong! Whether it be passing OR defending

Also, what has been the most breathtaking move, again good or bad you have seen from underneath your visor?

Old 22 Sep 2004, 21:59 (Ref:1104371)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last sunday I started a race from 5th, and after the 1st corner the guy who started 6th was in the lead. He'd had an average kind of start but an outstanding 1st corner. He passed everyone around the outside :O
Old 23 Sep 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1105153)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My best overtaking manouver was when I came out of a flat out right after a long straight at sandown park racing in the mounthly in-kart championship when I saw a racer trying to pass another car and I took the pair of them.
In that meeting their was a long staright after wards but I did the same move in monsoon conditions in November on slicks when I out braked them in to another pair going into the harpin just after the the same corner in my first wet race.

I also did a good move at the start after a long staright and you brake into the first corner and I always go round the out side and brake so late I'm still braking turning into the corner and took 6 cars by going round the outside.

Old 23 Sep 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1105155)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good move was when I took a wide line into a harpin and then took a sharp line out and passed 2 cars by the before the line.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1105797)   #5
Karting_jenny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Karting_jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two weeks ago in the September meeting at Kimbolton. i started 15th. and by the time i came out of the willows i was 8th. Huge pile up at the first corner, best race of that day.

Also a move that im proud of is, a last minute dive past someone just before a bus stop.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 23:32 (Ref:1106362)   #6
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm too busy looking where I'm going to notice anyone else. I'd advise the rest of you to do the same and there might be fewer accidents
Old 25 Sep 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1106696)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really, if you don't notice everyone one else then you don't notice the 3 karts in the air 20 metres upahead!

Last edited by speedy king; 25 Sep 2004 at 17:18.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1106850)   #8
Amonfan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Amonfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously, if i can be for a sec, lol...... Its always good to be aware of what is going on around you, ive seen so many guys just watch the front of their nosecone and then when someone spins in front of them they just crash straight into them. And like Speedy says u gotta be able to be aware of those low flying karts ahead
Old 26 Sep 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1107307)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Today in my Heats at Sandown I had to wins out of 3 races and nearly won the final.
I went around the outside around of a guy in in the harpin and went around loads of drivers especially around flat out corners.
The champagne tastes nice as well.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1107354)   #10
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At corners like Bruno Ferrari chicane at Shenington and the first corner at Llandow it is sometime possible to pass by shooting up the inside of the driver in front if he tries to get a good exit by keeping right before the tight hairpin left. You can mess up his exit by putting yourself right on an early apex. Both your exits are slow but you have the advantage. If your a Schumacher type of driver you can push him off the track. Its usually less experienced driver who make the mistake of keeping too far right with someone behind them.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1126114)   #11
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Potentialy a good move, but changed very quickly!! Here's how it went!

I was in 3rd and going down the fastest straight in to turn one i could see a 'Stars Of Tomorrow' racer lunge down the inside of Luke Branch on the brakes, Luke turned in giving the driver enough room to go side by side however he appeared to clip the curb or something which unsettled the kart and according to Luke the other drivers kart just went straight on (driver error or not, i dont know and its not in my right to say) but the two collided and the other kart mounted Luke's in a big way, climbing over his side wheels on to the back of the kart and doing about two pirrorettes actually ON his kart! Left rubber marks on Luke's seat, bent his spart plug, dented the radiator, pulled the exhaust off, white smoke everywhere, horrific noise as you can imagine when the exhaust comes off. Thankfully neither driver was injured, the other kart then fell off Lukes and carried on and Branch pulled off.

Was pretty eye catching! The amount of smoke was incredible too, and ive never seen a kart give another a piggy back before!!!
Old 17 Dec 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1181938)   #12
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the first corner at rye house i went round the outside of about 6 karts because thye all stuck to the inside and i went to the outside and managed to carry lots of spped through the corner. It only works on the first lap though and becareful when you try to get back onto the racing line.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1182009)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I userly get a good start, swing to the outside and brake as late as I can, then get back on it as quick as possible in turn 1 and userly make up a few postions.
It pays off to be on the limit on the first lap.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1182619)   #14
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
If i ever have any move like that going through my mind though i make sure i do plenty of weaving on the warm up lap and often hold the brake and throttle at the same time to get some heat in the pads and disk, a big no no i know. I've actually heard of people though that race in the Mini Max class that claim to keep flat on the throttle and just press on the brake though the corners...........

I'm sure that can't be good for the kart?
Old 18 Dec 2004, 16:09 (Ref:1182620)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Burns the clutch doesn't it?
Old 18 Dec 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1182625)   #16
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Thats what i thought and was tought when i started

Last edited by speedy king; 18 Dec 2004 at 16:27.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1182629)   #17
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it does.

Well if you've got lots of money to spend then you might aswell. There is so much cheating going on anyway.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1182699)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I think that's how Michael Schumacher drives, after studying his telemetry.

So it must be fast.

Although I don't use it. Where I race it's illegal.

Last edited by luke; 18 Dec 2004 at 19:14.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1182704)   #19
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Have people stated this as a method purely for the Max classes?

Schumacher just likes to trail-brake, it's not the same thing - he just does it so that he can do more slowing down than usual on the 1st part of a corner, therefore moving his breaking point closer to the corner.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 10:49 (Ref:1183060)   #20
hmmmm
Rookie

hmmmm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think that you will find many people do it in max i certanily dont and if you have got it set up right you dont have to. I dont when i race hundreds though either. no need.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1210455)   #21
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Saw a great move on Saturday in Senior Max.

Four abreast down the pit straight and who should be a couple of metres ahead, a Restricted driver on one of his first races who must have been wetting himself! One driver who was just on the bumper on one of these four shot through in the confusion in to 3rd place and one of them dropped about 3 places when he was sandwiched between two karts, great action, i really thought though watching where i was at least one of them was going to come to blows!

That sort of action is what makes karting what it is for me Rarely see anything near it in cars

I have some video of it somewhere, i'll try and upload it

Last edited by speedy king; 26 Jan 2005 at 16:50.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1210662)   #22
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
That's the reason that I think bike racing is more interesting for watching racing. That kind of thing you see so often.

One of the greatest moves I saw was at the Donnington Park classic bike meeting in November. Two guys hammering along the main straight on their priceless 350cc Honda's (easily over 100k each) followed by this bloke on his even more rare Ringini. Bloody hell that bike sounds SO good, classic bikes put cars to shame with their sounds IMHO. Anyway going into the 1st corner he had his bike fishtailing all over the place down the inside of BOTH of them, nicely backed it into the apex and accelerated away on the back wheel..

If you get the oppertunity to go to any classic bike race meetings GO!!! They're like nothing else to watch. Multiple world champions of 20-30-40 years ago going absolutely completely balls-to-the-wall against each other, and I really do mean balls to the wall! They're incredible...
Old 2 Feb 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1215704)   #23
ukkartace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
ukkartace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one i remember most was when i was driving cadets in the Super 1 at wigan and going up the straight there were 4 of us heading into the first corner, i was on the inside and came out on top that was cool.
another one was when i passed my role model and great friend davide fore at the wintercup last year. the move itself wasnt unbelievable but it was a very late braking pass and it shocked davide to the extent that he ran wide. It was the feeling of coming from the back to the front and passing someone you've always looked upto then pulling away. we still discuss that move because it was my first formula A race and the first time we had ever battled together.