Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3219989)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark Webber's starts

Why is Mark so bad at these? This is his 12th season in F1 and he still can't get off the line.

Surely it is something that can be learned and the procedure doesn't change that much from year to year? It isn't a question of reactions because he just bogs the thing down half the time.

He must have lost hundreds of positions cumulatively over his career and, subsequently, points whilst he flounders in midfield.

Is it acceptable for someone to show such an inability to learn and progress in topline sport? I have literally never seen him make even an average start.

I'd hate to see him starting his road car on a cold morning.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3220008)   #2
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would love to pull up alongside him at the lights . Later that night in the pub "hey guess who I beat off the lights today ? "
Old 17 Mar 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3220031)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am perplexed as to why Mark struggles with his starts ?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3220039)   #4
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anthony Davidson gave (what sounded to me at any rate) a good explaination of today's bad start - letting the clutch go too early due to a bit of panic setting in.

Does he get bad starts when he's further back on the grid or only when he's at the front?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3220040)   #5
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the end of the race show this morning they said Mark had a software problem in the car which caused problems with clutch bite point at the start. Kers problems seem to plague him aswell , is a certain Dr having a little tinker with his car when nobody is about ?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3220042)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, the old 'software problem'.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3220048)   #7
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Ah, the old 'software problem'.
Have his bad starts been blamed on "software problems" before then ?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3220069)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He has always got some problem or other.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3220083)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
He has always got some problem or other.

Yeah Al, its called Marko, who flicks a switch!
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3220103)   #10
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sticking Vergne in the car would help with the starts I'd imagine
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:14 (Ref:3220112)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
Have his bad starts been blamed on "software problems" before then ?
Hehe, quite a few times.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3220123)   #12
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say. I respect Mark and his career, but F1 doesn't need him anymore. To see him leaving the line in such an uninspired demeanour on the first race of the championship, in the best car, on his home turf was sad and a little irritating. Make room for younger, more driven and deserving pilots with no personal sponsor.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3220129)   #13
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
From what I understand, most drivers give a squirt of KERS before the first corner. Not having KERS would have made an average start look awful.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3220134)   #14
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's always been awful at starts though, right back to the Jaguar and Williams days.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3220155)   #15
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber's starts

I have a simple solution for Mark.

Go and do a season of speed eventing ! That soon teaches you to get off the line correctly.

You only have to look at any grass roots race grid and it is quite easy to spot those drivers who came through the ranks via hillclimbing and sprinting.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3220158)   #16
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr View Post

Go and do a season of speed eventing ! That soon teaches you to get off the line correctly.

You only have to look at any grass roots race grid and it is quite easy to spot those drivers who came through the ranks via hillclimbing and sprinting.
Indeed, Andy Priaulx built his touring car career on it.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3220273)   #17
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The best start he ever got was from P2 dirty side in the British GP after they gave his new wing to Seb. Maybe thats the strategy ... because, lets face it, 90% of his starts (right back to the Jag days) are total rubbish.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 00:55 (Ref:3220314)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In interviews he had with local media he said before the race that he & Vettel hadnt done anywhere near enough practice starts in testing - guess Vettel doesnt need the practice & that on the grid he encountered launch/technical problems, then had no KERS , very frustrating tho if you are a fan...
Old 18 Mar 2013, 02:50 (Ref:3220332)   #19
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While starts have never been his strong suit, i'm not sure why the opening poster has decided to have a rant based on what happened yesterday, particularly as Red Bull have come out and said it was a car problem and Webber wasn't to blame...

...but keep sticking the boot in at any opportunity
Old 18 Mar 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3220385)   #20
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has a psychological problem with starts, he may deny it but anyone who has a repeated failure at the same thing then it becomes a mind problem. I reckon that when he retires and writes the obligatory book he will admit to it. He is not the first sports person to experience it and won't be the last.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3220464)   #21
Darcia1
Rookie

Australia
melbourne Australia
Darcia1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr View Post

I totally agree he needs to get hold of Martin Groves or Scott Moran and get some start practice You cant use a simulator to get the feel you need
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3220475)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcia1 View Post
I totally agree he needs to get hold of Martin Groves or Scott Moran and get some start practice You cant use a simulator to get the feel you need
I guess the problem with the speed eventing idea revolves around how many speed event cars use a two stage hand operated clutch.

Mark has a definite problem with his starts - no question about it. I can't for the life of me think why the team wouldn't spend some test time with him to get it resolved - he seems to jump as quickly as Seb but then just kinda bogs down so it looks like it's the second stage clutch point that's the issue. Very strange as Seb seems to get it right most of the time and Mark could surely learn from that technique.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3221011)   #23
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lets look at this from a glass half full.

Most sportspeople choke at the end of an event. At least Webber has the whole race to try and catch up.

Mind you the guys behind him on the grid must on edge thinking do I swerve left or right as soon as the lights go out.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 07:05 (Ref:3221017)   #24
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, do some work with a coach and then get himself a straight line test day.

If he or the team feel it necessary, rinse and repeat.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3221096)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
While starts have never been his strong suit, i'm not sure why the opening poster has decided to have a rant based on what happened yesterday, particularly as Red Bull have come out and said it was a car problem and Webber wasn't to blame...

...but keep sticking the boot in at any opportunity
Well I must admit, I hadn't read any of the post race guff before posting but it looked to be a bad start anyways. The KERS issue just added to it.