Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3220067)   #1
rogerbodger
Rookie

rogerbodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vatican influence on 2013 championship?

A mention during Sky's Aussie GP coverage of results following Papal Conclaves got me thinking ....

19-21 June 1963, Pope Paul VI elected. 23 June 1963 Jim Clark wins Dutch Grand Prix in a Lotus-Climax and goes on to win the championship.

25-26 August 1978, Pope John Paul I elected. 27 August 1978 Mario Andretti wins Dutch Grand Prix in a Lotus-Ford and goes on to win the championship.

14-16 October 1978, Pope John Paul II elected. This was after the last GP of the year, the first GP in 1979 in Argentina was won by Jacques Laffite in a Ligier. He did not go on to win the championship (this was Jody Scheckter's honour), but can this Papal election be excluded as it was after the end of the F1 season?

18-19 April 2005 Pope Benedict XVI elected. 24 April 2005 Fernando Alonso wins the San Marino GP in a Renault, he went on to win the championship.

12-13 March 2013 Pope Francis I elected. 17 March 2013 Kimi Raikkonen wins Australian GP in a Lotus-Renault. Following the trend of the previous 3 in-season Papal conclaves, will he also go on to win the championship?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3220073)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Just devine F1..
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3220076)   #3
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope that trend continues...
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3220084)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If would be much more fun if the Pope got a drive though........
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3220085)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbodger View Post
A mention during Sky's Aussie GP coverage of results following Papal Conclaves got me thinking ....

19-21 June 1963, Pope Paul VI elected. 23 June 1963 Jim Clark wins Dutch Grand Prix in a Lotus-Climax and goes on to win the championship.

25-26 August 1978, Pope John Paul I elected. 27 August 1978 Mario Andretti wins Dutch Grand Prix in a Lotus-Ford and goes on to win the championship.

14-16 October 1978, Pope John Paul II elected. This was after the last GP of the year, the first GP in 1979 in Argentina was won by Jacques Laffite in a Ligier. He did not go on to win the championship (this was Jody Scheckter's honour), but can this Papal election be excluded as it was after the end of the F1 season?

18-19 April 2005 Pope Benedict XVI elected. 24 April 2005 Fernando Alonso wins the San Marino GP in a Renault, he went on to win the championship.

12-13 March 2013 Pope Francis I elected. 17 March 2013 Kimi Raikkonen wins Australian GP in a Lotus-Renault. Following the trend of the previous 3 in-season Papal conclaves, will he also go on to win the championship?
Very interesting. I would like to see Kimi win it again rather than Vettel.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3220086)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this has to be the best, most irrelevant set of stats i've seen in ages. fair play
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3220087)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Should be a sticky in the F1 forum then..........
Old 17 Mar 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3220095)   #8
rogerbodger
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this has to be the best, most irrelevant set of stats i've seen in ages. fair play
Irrelevant maybe, but certainly not irreverent
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3220098)   #9
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If would be much more fun if the Pope got a drive though........
....and even more fun if, as a quid pro quo (that's yer actual Latin!) Kimi got to be Pope.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3220108)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
....and even more fun if, as a quid pro quo (that's yer actual Latin!) Kimi got to be Pope.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3220115)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the bit where one of the Papal Conclaves is just totally excluded to make things tidier.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3220125)   #12
rogerbodger
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Imagine Pope Kimi taking confession ...
Confessor : Forgive me father for I have sinned
Pope Kimi : Yes, yes, yes, yes - I'm doing it all the time. You don't have to remind me every second.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3220145)   #13
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vatican influence on the 2013 Championship ? What , it`s gonna be corrupt ?
Old 17 Mar 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3220272)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
Vatican influence on the 2013 Championship ? What , it`s gonna be corrupt ?
Flavio Briatore is the new pope then.....
Old 17 Mar 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3220298)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Flavio Briatore is the new pope then.....
I bet he wishes he was.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3220550)   #16
aridshelter
Rookie

aridshelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sureley this is all irelevant though, as the current pope was elected out of season as well?

Does anyone know who topped the timesheets in the first test after Jean Paul II was elected, maybe that has a bearing...
Old 21 Mar 2013, 04:11 (Ref:3222078)   #17
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see a full cross reference back to the beginning of the modern era in 1950 before we draw any conclusions
Old 21 Mar 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3222113)   #18
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
was just reading a few threads here ... thought Lewis had been elected Pope
Old 21 Mar 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3222122)   #19
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just proves that the Almighty is a petrol head.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3222170)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently, the Pope is in regular contact with the man with the big beard (yes, really), so no one should be too surprised if they see him pop into the Italian version of 'Ladbrokes' from time to time.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3222264)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For a moment I thought the thread was about Maldonado winning the championship because the pope is south-american... just pass on...

Now back to the subject, what a subject, or better what a non subject... That should work for presidential elections, prime minister and other stuff like that I suppose.

My opinion is, there's a 50% chance of that happening.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3222551)   #22
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Meanwhile, the mormons have it on good authority that this is Coulthard's year
Old 22 Mar 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3222555)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I find this thread somewhat enigmatic.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 17:55 (Ref:3222906)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well we need to know who the pope supports, he has been seen in red and is of italian decent so that suggest he will be a ferrari fan.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3222933)   #25
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The same statistic was on the Danish broadcast of the event.
Which means someone on Bernies payroll, is sitting and doing these statistics!
Quite unbelievable for me that Bernie will spend money on that