Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Nov 2002, 15:52 (Ref:429973)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sucessful test for Tom Chilton in BTCC Honda

According to this weeks AUTOSPORT he now looks set to take one birth in a 2 or 3 car squad. Not bad for a 18yr old in only his 2nd year of the BTCC huh?
Old 16 Nov 2002, 17:09 (Ref:430017)   #2
the king
Rookie

the king should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doh!!!!! 1 birth - I thought Chilton was too young but now they're running newborns! Who will be the first foetus to drive in the BTCC?

Quote:
Not bad for a 18yr old in only his 2nd year of the BTCC huh?
Not bad if your dad has just written a cheque for the best part of £500k! That takes REAL talent.

Hello? is there anybody there?
Old 16 Nov 2002, 17:26 (Ref:430021)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has he? I woudnt know about that all I know is what the team boss said after Chilton completed 50 laps. Mike earl said afterwards that he was content with the 17yrs old performance, "although completly new to the civic, Tom posted some very competitive lap times," he said.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 17:27 (Ref:430022)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Has he? I woudnt know about that all I know is what the team boss said after Chilton completed 50 laps. Mike earl said afterwards that he was content with the 17yrs old performance, "although completly new to the civic, Tom posted some very competitive lap times," he said.
from AUTOSPORT
Old 16 Nov 2002, 22:15 (Ref:430140)   #5
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its looks likely that he'll be driving a civiv next year, which still leaves the question of what happens to his vauxhall???
Old 17 Nov 2002, 11:19 (Ref:430451)   #6
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll they're bound to say something like that aren't they - they'd never say "he's alright but we're just having him for his money", whether that was the case or not.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:29 (Ref:430490)   #7
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine Honda saying he was slo but we've got half a million.

Funny how no lap times have been released.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:49 (Ref:430509)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Lap times are rarely released from private tests so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:50 (Ref:430510)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Well you could be cynical like that, but then again if look AUTOSPORT dont publish many lap times in the magasine, particauly not in the news section. They are after all well a news section, not a timing board.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:53 (Ref:430514)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Thanks redshoes, I was beginning to think I was on my own here lol.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 12:55 (Ref:430518)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
lol I published my post just after you had published yours, I didnt see your last post until a minute ago.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 19:10 (Ref:430667)   #12
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Honda's criteria was Talent then you'd have a list as long as your arm before you hit Chilton.

Timing is news, how would rallying work without any timing?
Interesting thought, send your answers to the FIA via their website, if you think timing shouldn't be featured in motorsport.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 19:43 (Ref:430692)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What are you talking about? This was a private test, hence any timing would have been carried out by the team themselves. If it was a race, official test or rally then MST (or whoever) would have been there. No one is suggesting proper competetive events shouldn't be timed.

I know there is a lot of recentment again Chilton because it's seen that his dad is throwing around large sums of money to get him a drive. I could understand the critism if he was a complete chump, but on the evidence of this season that clearly isn't the case.

I agree, in a perfect world talent would be the only thing to matter, but the real world just isn't like that. Like ot or not Chilton is not the first driver to 'buy' a seat and he certainly won't be the last. It happens at ever level of motorsport from Formula One downwards.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 20:09 (Ref:430710)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Thats for sure I mean take F3000 for example almost all the drives places there are bought, and the FIA GT championship, not as much the GT class but in the NGT a lot of the drives there are paid for, although the Lister Storm is a example im the GT class of having rich amatuers rather than all top line drivers.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 23:00 (Ref:430828)   #15
the king
Rookie

the king should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I could understand the critism if he was a complete chump, but on the evidence of this season that clearly isn't the case.
What evidence would that be? If you look at his results for the whole season, as published in Autosport this week, he finished in the last 3 in every race if you discount those drivers that had additional pitstops. The 1 exception was the Knockhill feature. His "amazing" podium in race 1 was courtesy of the fact that everyone in front of him went off. The only driver behind him that hadn't pitted was Reid and he had 2 trips into the gravel.

Rnd 1.3/8 2.rtd 3.11/13 4.9/10 5.13/14 6.rtd 7.11/12 8.rtd 9.9/10 10.rtd 11.rtd 12.rtd 13.rtd 14.8/12(Reid, Owy and Bennett pitted twice) 15.10/12 16.7/13 17.12/12 18.10/13 19.12/13 14.rtd

If you look at actual points scored the only driver he finished in front of was Carl Breeze, who gave him a 12 point start and finished with 11 points less! I will say though that he wasn't a chump at Knockhill in the feature.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 23:07 (Ref:430830)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
What u have said is true, but in his defence it was his rookie season so he was still having to aqaint himself with a touring car for most of the year, next year I expect u will find he will do a lot better.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:00 (Ref:431331)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by the king
What evidence would that be? If you look at his results for the whole season, as published in Autosport...
What I meant was he wasn't hopelessly off the pace and ended every race wrapped around an armco. If you read the Autosport article you are refering to they do say that he has some natural speed.

Sure he's not going to be champion any time soon, but I don't believe he is any worse that other drivers in the series, and crtainly not as bad as some of the 'rent-a-drives' in other series.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:04 (Ref:431334)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yeah I mean next year he might even score points consistantly. Hes never going to make it into top line single seaters or win any big championships. Still hes only 17 and may yet turn out to be a decent driver.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:09 (Ref:431340)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chilton at Barwell was one thing, because it gave the team a chance to progress to the top echelon of BTCC, gave Tom a chance to learn the tracks and racing in a relatively stress-free and low-expectation setting, and allowed Aaron SLight to show what he can do with 4 wheels.

But Chilton in a works Honda would be unfortunate, as although he is not the worst driver out there, I can name plenty of Production Class guys I'd rate higher, and people like Mat Jackson can definately do better if given the chance.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:47 (Ref:431352)   #20
TheLeader
Rookie

TheLeader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant agree more with that last comment. With the championship as it is at the moment, and money very, very hard to find and only a few paid drives around, it is very frustrating to see who goes where and why. It is such a shame that rel talent is shadowed by cheque books. But my friends thats the way it is. Lets just hope that the manufacturers come back and restore some form of normality soon. Enyone seen Richard West lately??
Old 18 Nov 2002, 15:01 (Ref:431361)   #21
racing4real
Rookie

racing4real should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed the Proddie class should be the source of incoming Touring drivers. I can certainly think of one or two who should be given the chance...including he who was sorely missed by York City Racing when he stopped this year.

Trouble is, Touring Class is all about "income" rather than "incoming". I wasn't surprised to see Chilton struggle (with a few exceptional races) - he came from T-cars to the top level after all! Totally unfair to call him a chump though.

I think TOCA itself should help to subsidise drivers who have shown promise, for example by finding sponsors to assist. It worked for the Lotus Elises and we saw mega racing there, mainly because there were very few "chumps" in the series.