Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2509008)   #1
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Sure, this has to stop!

I know it has been mentioned before numerous times, but this ridiculous prevalence of saying "for sure" in every interview by every F1 person is reaching epic proportions....Even Jenson has caught the bug!

When asked by AUTOSPORT if his 18.5 points advantage was comfortable, Button said: "For sure, not. I have lost 15 points to Webber over the past three races, and that is massive.

"It's five points per race. It means he will be in front of me in four races time, and there are seven races left. So it is for sure not comfortable, but I cannot do anything about it at the moment

It doesn't even make bl**dy sense! You are English man! speak it properly.

Didn't Schmacher start this? you can almost forgive drivers who speak english as a second language, but when Brits get in on the act it's time to comment!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2509021)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We play the "For Sure" drinking game! Every time someone says it you have to take a swig. We should add a new rule that if a native english speaker uses the phrase then you have to "down in one".
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2509055)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi View Post

Didn't Schmacher start this?
For sure.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2509057)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's annoying for sure.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2509058)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
For sure, I was beaten to it by Falcey.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2509061)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is odd for sure.

But why is 'for certain' considered more acceptable in English than 'for sure'? They both seem as gramatically 'incorrect'.

As with anything in language however, if enough people start saying it, it becomes commonplace enough to become a part of the language, so I often take issue with the idea that something is 'wrong' in a language, otherwise we should all presumably be using what is now known as Old English.

Is this mainly an F1 thing, because it's usually there that I hear it?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2509066)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
at our predictable 'for sure' responses.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2509067)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's not that it's wrong, it's just that it's over-used and unecessary. It's like when you watch Jeremy Kyle and everyone just says 'at the end of the day' over and over again for an hour and a half.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2509073)   #9
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to admit that I over use the phrase "Basically" it even annoys me when I say it!

I have also noticed that if a word / phrase is used by one person a lot that is close to me I tend to pick up on it and start saying it too. For example my friend Dee calls people Dude, and before I met her I never used the phrase now I do, although not a lot!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2509075)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
For sure,at the end of the day it gets dark.Now will someone step up to the plate and stop this madness !

People that finish every sentence with "Yer know". AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2509078)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
It's like when you watch Jeremy Kyle
I stay away.

Fair point about its over-use. I heard Christian Horner use it in Hungary in a sentence which also included 'possibly'. I think he meant 'possibly' but he started by being 'sure'.

It kind of amuses me in the same way that Jonathan Legard's obsession with 'pushing on' 'kicking on' makes me chuckle. It wouldn't be the same without it.

Quote:
I have also noticed that if a word / phrase is used by one person a lot that is close to me I tend to pick up on it and start saying it too.
I'm susceptible to that. I quite like it though; it's a subtle feeling of belonging. Since living in Yorkshire, I've picked up a tiny amount of the accent too, as a friend who used to live here told me when I went to see him.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2509079)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
At the end of the day, this is funny, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HUdzoKiPA
Old 27 Jul 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2509101)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
For sure,at the end of the day it gets dark.Now will someone step up to the plate and stop this madness !

People that finish every sentence with "Yer know". AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
Just wait until F1 drivers finish a sentence with "innit"

Oh, Born Racer, for sure it's grammatically.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2509104)   #14
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(In a faux Scottish accent) Oh, for sure.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2509127)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
At the end of the day, this is funny, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HUdzoKiPA
I'm scarred for life now. I'm never going to be able to keep a straight face when I say that...
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2509146)   #16
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I'm scarred for life now. I'm never going to be able to keep a straight face when I say that...
That's for sure.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2509215)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It's like when you watch Jeremy Kyle
Sad man
Old 27 Jul 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2509221)   #18
Perksy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pershore
Perksy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this a function of a multi-cultural/lingual background? Lots of European languages contain phrases such as Bien Sur as an expression. When drivers/officials/fans then speak english they insert a literal translation of what is actually just a figure of speech. Schumi used to say it all the time. If everyone else is saying it, it tends to catch on.
Kinda sweet really!
Old 27 Jul 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2509236)   #19
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This phrase isn't exclusive to F1.
Loeb and Rossi use it constantly.
My wife laughs at it and mimicks it whenever she hears one of them using it.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2509238)   #20
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st146795.htm
Old 27 Jul 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2509240)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm now curious to see if it creeps into use here (outside this thread of course!). We're all exposed to it quite a lot, after all.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2509247)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi View Post
I know it has been mentioned before numerous times, but this ridiculous prevalence of saying "for sure" in every interview by every F1 person is reaching epic proportions....Even Jenson has caught the bug!

When asked by AUTOSPORT if his 18.5 points advantage was comfortable, Button said: "For sure, not. I have lost 15 points to Webber over the past three races, and that is massive.

"It's five points per race. It means he will be in front of me in four races time, and there are seven races left. So it is for sure not comfortable, but I cannot do anything about it at the moment

It doesn't even make bl**dy sense! You are English man! speak it properly.

Didn't Schmacher start this? you can almost forgive drivers who speak english as a second language, but when Brits get in on the act it's time to comment!
That's because you don't know the other way around ! There are some language constructions (expressions ?) that are originated in english and has spread over other languages, that are worst than the swine virus... some non-english linguists are terrified by how this is killing the original grammar.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2509274)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
Definately! (M own personal bugbear)
Old 27 Jul 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2509360)   #24
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day, I don't what yer talking about for sure, eh?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2509389)   #25
AshMcD
Rookie

AshMcD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically, at the end of the day for sure ... erm... what was I saying.

/mr predictable.