Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Jun 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2238431)   #1
63 light weight
Rookie

63 light weight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1963 Ford Galaxie Lightweight?

This 63 Galaxie Lightweight has just been discovered in the UK after being stored since the 70's . It has the original 427 manual trans, aluminum bumpers, fiber glass trunk lid, it has the Ford Lightweight Disclaimer Plate in the glovebox, the Vin No: 3N66R154554. It was raced at some point under the number 9 or 6. Please look at the pictures and if anyone can identify this car please let me know. The car is for sale and is currently in the UK but is soon to be shipped to me in Arizona. If anyone in England is interested in it please let me know before I ship it.

Old 2 Jul 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2242094)   #2
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great find, will be interesting to see it after a resto
Old 6 Jul 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2245616)   #3
Andy Law
Rookie

United Kingdom
Enfield
Andy Law should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how much?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2246465)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Law
how much?

£30k.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2246626)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah right for a pile of rust!
Old 7 Jul 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2246688)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Terry's k was a typo
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2246862)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what the American owner has offered it to me for,I have declined.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2246880)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
One things for sure, its more "lightweight" now than it was in 63
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2246882)   #9
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whereabouts in the UK is it anyway? Everything looks very Americanny in those pics.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2246897)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
One things for sure, its more "lightweight" now than it was in 63
I'm not so sure,it has'nt got glass front wings now.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2247071)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
Whereabouts in the UK is it anyway? Everything looks very Americanny in those pics.
I was thinking exactly the same thing Colin in fact even the trailer looks kinda yankee.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2247108)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Portacabin looks English and if it's been offered to Terry do we take it that it's out in Norfolk then?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2247110)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Actually I retract that look at the amber indicator lights on the trailer board, the Yanks are red.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2247120)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
That figures Gregor, probably a scrappie near Lakenheath. Anyone want to give me 30k for my Penske IROC, lot more complete than that! BTW coming to Croft?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2247164)   #15
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Gentlemen, It is what it 'IS',a "Rare' LWT Ford Galaxie, how about some positive 'feed' re-possible history !!,(1st ) picture, has a 73/74 Caddy in the frame,the red car in the extreme right cnr could be 70's Chrysler,(2nd) picture, white car is a 70's Buick, Black car over the back is a 60's Chrysler Imperial (3rd) picture, 70's El Camino with its hatch open,beyond that another Caddy, then maybe a Hearse!!?? but the 'RED" item by what would be the right front wheel is a 67/68/69 Camaro front apron ('pan in the USA), (4th) picture, most likely a 67/68/69 Camaro with a Vinyal roof...so start looking for a American "Muscle' Car Collector thats been collecting for some time I would Guess!!..The Galaxie may look a little un-loved at this time,I started with a (Aust,Famous) ZL1 Camaro that looked worse than the Ford, took nearly five years to change it from a 5k investment ( FROG !!)through a total restoration to a 'Princess' ,if I knew how, I could show you the "Horror' before resto shots ...Al weymen would 'Love It', Alloy 427 and all...so come on guys give the ol Girl the Kiss of Life or at least support those that care !!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2247271)   #16
63 light weight
Rookie

63 light weight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
these lightweights sell for $200k + in the us this car is supposed to be one of the ex wilment cars, a buyer is intrested in the us all i was doing was seeing if anybody thought the history should stay in england as the us buyer dosent care about its uk racing history he just wants a genuine lightweight ,also the car is more complete than it looks and not as rusty as you would think

Last edited by 63 light weight; 8 Jul 2008 at 16:29.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2247292)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
If the car had been based in east anglia,I would have been over to see it myself,but I have been way too busy this week and the guy I had in mind for it has too much on at the moment.Lightweight,I have Googled Light Weights but cannot find an awfull lot about them.I have spoken to a friend about them though.If the car turns out to be a genuine Willment car,really it would be nice for it to stay here but the problem is they were not too competitive against Falcons because of the weight,or have I got the wrong info.?
All in all,it really does'nt look that bad, certainly not beyond a resto,I have PMd some-one with the mobile number you gave me,you will just have to wait on him I'm afraid.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2247393)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh no not for me Thunder, you spell Chevy C-H-E-V-Y not F-O-R-D that would be sacralige for a Chevy man to own. :-) Seriously IMHO that needs so much time money and work spent on it I would say 30k is way over the top but as I say thats my opinion I am sure richer more talented people than me would view it totally differently. The yard actually reminds me of a Yank bone yard I was a regular at over near Heathrow Airport but I believe thats long gone.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2247415)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You are googling wrong Terry try 'Ford Galaxie lightweight' and yu will come up with pages of stuff. The model is a rare piece that for sure with only 211 made so yes I was right when I implied what the heck do I know! I was interested to note an old aquaintance of mine Paul Hawkins also raced one.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2247427)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
You are googling wrong Terry try 'Ford Galaxie lightweight' and yu will come up with pages of stuff. The model is a rare piece that for sure with only 211 made so yes I was right when I implied what the heck do I know! I was interested to note an old aquaintance of mine Paul Hawkins also raced one.
Yep,Did that Al,but I was looking for chassis numbers /had any been sold recently etc etc.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2248410)   #21
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder road
Come on Gentlemen, It is what it 'IS',a "Rare' LWT Ford Galaxie, how about some positive 'feed' re-possible history !!,(1st ) picture, has a 73/74 Caddy in the frame,the red car in the extreme right cnr could be 70's Chrysler,(2nd) picture, white car is a 70's Buick, Black car over the back is a 60's Chrysler Imperial (3rd) picture, 70's El Camino with its hatch open,beyond that another Caddy, then maybe a Hearse!!?? but the 'RED" item by what would be the right front wheel is a 67/68/69 Camaro front apron ('pan in the USA), (4th) picture, most likely a 67/68/69 Camaro with a Vinyal roof...so start looking for a American "Muscle' Car Collector thats been collecting for some time I would Guess!!..The Galaxie may look a little un-loved at this time,I started with a (Aust,Famous) ZL1 Camaro that looked worse than the Ford, took nearly five years to change it from a 5k investment ( FROG !!)through a total restoration to a 'Princess' ,if I knew how, I could show you the "Horror' before resto shots ...Al weymen would 'Love It', Alloy 427 and all...so come on guys give the ol Girl the Kiss of Life or at least support those that care !!
Hello Myles. I agree. Maybe the poms dont appreciate American Iron

Cheers David
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2248434)   #22
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al - Thunder road was referring to you loving pictures of the ZL1 Camaro pre-resto, not the Galaxie! (The Bob Jane car)

Miles, you can upload photos to sites like photobucket then link them here or email them to me (my username @ hotmail.com) and I will put them up
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2248454)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Maybe the poms dont appreciate American Iron
Maybe you are right which is prehaps why I only have three race Camaros in my stable including a genuine ex-Penske IROC racer from the 70'! ;-)

BTW THunder that is not Frank Gardiners ZL1 is it?

Last edited by Al Weyman; 10 Jul 2008 at 07:20.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2248485)   #24
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ye sorry I didnt appreciate the fact it could have been in a very American part of England. Surelly though if it had been raced over here someone would have recognised it and even the signwriting looks pure USA stuff.
Be nice if someone could turn up some period pics of the old girl!!
Old 12 Jul 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2249708)   #25
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Maybe you are right which is prehaps why I only have three race Camaros in my stable including a genuine ex-Penske IROC racer from the 70'! ;-)

BTW THunder that is not Frank Gardiners ZL1 is it?
Al, only stiring the pot. I love Camaros, bet you love yours. & yes Thunder restored Bob Janes ZL1.

Cheers David