Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 2 Jun 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3414104)   #1
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wallace Menzies' Accident at Shelsley

By heck, that was a big accident! I feared the worst for a moment. Last news I heard was that he was Ok. Does anyone have any updates?

Scott
Old 2 Jun 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3414159)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds good.

http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/club...t.asp?ni=10368

Jim
Old 2 Jun 2014, 11:20 (Ref:3414174)   #3
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky not to collect that unprotected telegraph pole near the track
Old 2 Jun 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3414187)   #4
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happened right in front of me, very frighting, indeed a lucky chap.....
Old 2 Jun 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3414205)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unusually I was spectator side for this one, so observed it from the banking above Bottom Ess.

Possibly the biggest shunt I've ever seen there, albeit the car did it's job in shedding bits and dispelling energy. Another recommendation for the HANS device which appeard to be what kept his helmet in place after a very rough landing.

Interesting also watching the marshalling from the other side. A very professional and well run response from what I saw.

Even more interesting hearing the spectators comments around me. Makes me realise how little they actually know of what's going on even though they were clearly regulars and that came as a surprise. So much we take for granted as trained and experienced marshals of which they have absolutely no knowledge. One chap behind was yelling 'Where's the Doctor?'. Er, he's the one in red overalls with the word 'Doctor' on the back, who's talking to the driver...
Old 2 Jun 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3414208)   #6
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
Thanks for the link Jim.

I was at the MAC tent a little way before the speed trap where Wallace lost control. It looked horrendous when the car started rolling.

I reckon overnight in hospital then discharged with stitches and a cracked cheekbone make him a lucky chap.

Sounds like he's raring to get going again!

All the best,
Scott
Old 2 Jun 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3414223)   #7
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
And I must agree wholeheartedly with Woolley's comments. Superb calm response.

Regarding the chap shouting from the spectator area - I'm afraid I become more and more cheesed off with people who don't know anything shouting orders from the sidelines at people who've got off their backsides to get trained and actually do things instead of just talk about it. Maybe I'm just getting old but I really think Britain is getting worse like that.

By the way, I used to marshal regularly and well remember Jim's Donington ES fire training sessions!

Scott
Old 2 Jun 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3414238)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post
And I must agree wholeheartedly with Woolley's comments. Superb calm response.

Regarding the chap shouting from the spectator area - I'm afraid I become more and more cheesed off with people who don't know anything shouting orders from the sidelines at people who've got off their backsides to get trained and actually do things instead of just talk about it. Maybe I'm just getting old but I really think Britain is getting worse like that.

By the way, I used to marshal regularly and well remember Jim's Donington ES fire training sessions!

Scott
I could have done with you recently at Thruxton when the driver of a burning Ginetta kept offering (wrong) advice.

Jim
Old 2 Jun 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3414284)   #9
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
I must also agree with Woolley's posting, a very calm and measured response. Us marshals are a strange breed, we actually run towards the scene of the accident.

Well done to all those involved and great news to hear about his condition.

Bladdders
Old 2 Jun 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3414356)   #10
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy in the crowd must have been one those posting dum comments on the Daily Mail online article :-(
Old 2 Jun 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3414388)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lamb View Post
The guy in the crowd must have been one those posting dum comments on the Daily Mail online article :-(
No, since he was actually at the event, and they clearly weren't...

poor quality video
Old 2 Jun 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3414483)   #12
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

poor quality video
As they say at the end ' Oh Dear'

Still good news though.

Bladders
Old 2 Jun 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3414486)   #13
darrenfw
Rookie

United Kingdom
darrenfw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone see the pictures of the marshals holding up the screens and peering over them to see what's going on? Exactly what you are told NOT to do....
Old 2 Jun 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3414499)   #14
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenfw View Post
Did anyone see the pictures of the marshals holding up the screens and peering over them to see what's going on? Exactly what you are told NOT to do....
I'm trying not to be over sensitive but I've only seen one picture that looks like that and even then you can't tell definitively. It is a snap shot, one second in forty five + minutes. As someone who was there, please trust me when I say that the marshals were not 'gawking' above the screen.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3415019)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

poor quality video

Lucky boy, that was a hell of an off!
Old 4 Jun 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3415475)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklimp View Post
I'm trying not to be over sensitive but I've only seen one picture that looks like that and even then you can't tell definitively. It is a snap shot, one second in forty five + minutes. As someone who was there, please trust me when I say that the marshals were not 'gawking' above the screen.
Spot on. Occasionally checking to see if they were in the right place or if anything needed doing... and avoiding losing balance on a very tricky slope. There was less than the usual amount of experienced marshals trackside, but the actions of those involved didn't betray that lack of experience. Good people and good training = a very good job done.

On the other hand, some of the press coverage... Oh, dear. Sensationalist and inaccurate.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3415696)   #17
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So correct on both counts.
FAB marshals and support
Usual hyper press as only grief sells

However, both have influences, but only one is useful, and the Drivers know the Guys in Orange are.

Cannot be praised enough, as shown in this particular case.