Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3699719)   #26
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I increasingly think IMG is doing what the FA Premiership did for football - creaming cash off the fans while gradually destroying the roots of the sport that made it.

We will end up with a TV sport that makes a few quid for a few years but at the expense of Lydden and the rest of the domestic rallycross community.

Grassroots motorsport venues are dying in the UK - I would rather go to Wimbledon, Coventry and Lydden over Silverstone any day. This is just another nail in the coffin.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3699726)   #27
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I increasingly think IMG is doing what the FA Premiership did for football - creaming cash off the fans while gradually destroying the roots of the sport that made it.

We will end up with a TV sport that makes a few quid for a few years but at the expense of Lydden and the rest of the domestic rallycross community.

Grassroots motorsport venues are dying in the UK - I would rather go to Wimbledon, Coventry and Lydden over Silverstone any day. This is just another nail in the coffin.
Three of the above mentioned tracks are all but screwed.
Wimbledon says goodbye March 26th
Coventry is a mess if you have been following that sad story
Lydden, even the Doran's must have a cut off point.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3699727)   #28
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
Knockhill still has a rallycross section and it was in fairly good condition last time we were there. The reason why it has been dropped is purely cost. The circuit hire costs increased and it became unviable to run a meeting there, as it the entry numbers were always lower there.
It is a shame because I recall one clubmans meeting where another event was being run for rallycars on the the hill and the other side of the circuit, keeping the hire cost down.

If Silverstone do build a rallycross section it would make sense for it to be a permanent venue which could be used by both the MSA and BTRDA organisers as well. The venue is plenty big enough to run a rallycross event in one area and another event on another part of the circuit too. Or maybe run a rallycross meeting at the same time as one of the other big events they have like Fordfair.

The loss of WRX would not necessarily spell the end for Lydden, there is a slowly growing base of new drivers in the sport, and former drivers are also being tempted back. If this keeps increasing then all the other meetings will more and more viable, and we may get back to the position of having more meetings with regional sub championships and circuit championships.
Ten points for anyone who remembers who was first to roll when the Rallycross returned in 2003 to Knockhill?
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3699738)   #29
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The situation at Wimbledon is fairly obvious, as with Coventry. The land there is worth tens of millions. the only sad part is that it has been sold to a football club that should not even exist, who have already dumped an old club from their ground in Kingston and have only got the permission because of a bunch of old boys and some promises on housing.

Coventry is rather different, if you knew much about it, you would know it was always going to be sold, again it is commuter belt for Brum and Cov in a lovely village and the land can hold praps 200 houses or 100 or so exec ones. It was always going to be sold, the guy who owned it told us so, what is wrong is the pathetic way it has all been done, smallville gangster style, which as it happens is not that far from the truth.

Lydden as a venue is fairly secure. there is a lot of land there and much of it disused, but developing it into a car port or something would cost a lot, junctions would need to be made etc, and the locals would rather have a track than that I can assure you.

What others have said is true, amalgamate the series, run in ireland and you might sow the seeds of future stability.

or we continue as we are and go the same way as autocross.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3704571)   #30
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
Ten points for anyone who remembers who was first to roll when the Rallycross returned in 2003 to Knockhill?
Gibson L not R
Old 24 Jan 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3704717)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Gibson L not R
That's the most likely answer to any question that involves a rallycross car rolling
Old 24 Jan 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3704760)   #32
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That's the most likely answer to any question that involves a rallycross car rolling
Depends if they are assisted or they do it all by themselves
Old 24 Jan 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3704763)   #33
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche
Gibson L not R
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Depends if they are assisted or they do it all by themselves
Nice to see you still on the forum!
Old 25 Jan 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3705052)   #34
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back Tony
Old 27 Mar 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3721988)   #35
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bit of a thread bump, Silverstone just put a pic up on their facebook page showing the start of the RX circuit construction. Looks like it will be on the infield around by the stowe short circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
17504984_1516993545001704_3109857294048006064_o.jpg  
Old 14 Apr 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3726450)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK spent about half an hour perusing the rallycross track at Silverstone today as the WEC sessions were going on.

Good news is it is going to be mostly dirt.

Bad news, there is a big US or Franciacorta style jump, and a very tight joker lap like Estering a real tight left and right.

Start line looks separate but I think as it is on the Stowe circuit, the circuit are trying really hard to not get any dirt on their moneymaking area which is the Stowe circuit where you attend training days experience days etc. (such a con as it is sold that you are supposed to be at Silverstone when in reality you are on a tiny track in the facility)

I can't yet work out where the transition is from the startline onto the dirt unless the track is anti clock, but if they are going anti clock then the jump is wrong as it is shallow entry side and steep the other, so it must be going the other way round.

I reckon seriously 70% on dirt, it is hard packed yellow sandy dirt, and at the moment the track is lined with piles of dirt and the mud they used to trench out the track, whether this stays I don't know, but I expect so as it lines the track and prevents the cars digging up grass and going onto the Stowe surface.

For those that know SIlverstone Stowe, the top hairpin looks like being used as the only tar part I can see, there is a transition before, then that tight right hairpin and then an immediate turn right onto dirt and into the jump, I think the start is alongside this where the pits are, (makes sense due to timing).

As I say, the bit I don't get is were the startline transitions onto the dirt, unless they are starting on dirt! Or they are starting behind the Stow hairpin.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3726454)   #37
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those WEC's are seriously quick, I saw them last year for the first time in the flesh in Spa. How was the Jumbo car doing?
Old 14 Apr 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3726459)   #38
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chunder beet me too it, was having a look around that part as well today and the one thing that surprised me was how small and tight the layout looked, also were will the spectator viewing be?
Here's a few pics to show what Chunder described:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8509.jpg   IMG_8579.jpg  
Old 14 Apr 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3726460)   #39
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
Those WEC's are seriously quick, I saw them last year for the first time in the flesh in Spa. How was the Jumbo car doing?
In qualifying 10th out of 12 cars. Lammers 5 seconds slower than pole, Van Eerd 9 seconds slower than pole...
Old 14 Apr 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3726465)   #40
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross layouts on racing circuits are always tight and the tracks in overall tends to be really bad. The jumps are even messed up. How hard is it to build or at least design a decent track?
Old 15 Apr 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3726547)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They designed the Rallysprint so well back in 97. Why can't they do the same for a Rallyx circuit?
Old 18 May 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3734271)   #42
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone rallycross picture spotted on Facebook:

Old 18 May 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3734296)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least they built it quick enough
Old 18 May 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3734298)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
No idea where the start is, I think bottom left as that is towards the new Wellingtonish area of Silverstone. Or to the right of the gravel transition where the joker runde is. Bit opposite the building is the jump, its fairly big.

But as you can see not much tarmac, it's a lot bigger than this pic makes it look.

AS for viewing I think behind that stand you see in the foreground and probably in the mowed area behind the the northern most parts of the track will be likely big stands. But I think more like Mettet sadly where you are penned in and can see an overall view rather than being close. That is utter shite for me.
Old 18 May 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3734342)   #45
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a lot of gravel! Is it 40% really?
Old 19 May 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3734396)   #46
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the only tarmac is that bit infront (I.e. the one corner) then it's tiny! And there are no overtaking spots. Especially as they have stupid kinks in the dirt, which ensures just one line

Plus side is that the diet looks really good. Proper dirt not tarmac.

Maybe they will have a British round early next year to test the track? ,
Old 19 May 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3734408)   #47
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a go-cart circuit to me...
Old 19 May 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3734414)   #48
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
If the only tarmac is that bit infront (I.e. the one corner) then it's tiny! And there are no overtaking spots. Especially as they have stupid kinks in the dirt, which ensures just one line

Plus side is that the diet looks really good. Proper dirt not tarmac.

Maybe they will have a British round early next year to test the track? ,
I've edited the image to add what I think is the tarmaccy bit in red - so agreed, not a huge amount. Does anyone know in which direction the circuit will be run? I was trying to work out where the start line would be - the only place that makes sense is alongside what is laughably called the pit wall at Stowe (shown in yellow) - that'd give a short run to a tight first corner though (so lots of accidents). Also - where would the paddock be? The unused tarmac beyond what I'm assuming is the start wouldn't be big enough surely?
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone_rx.jpg  
Old 19 May 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3734421)   #49
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bert, looking at the jump face the track goes clockwise. the jump is opposite the building on the left and the face is shallow there and steep the other side.

It's fairly wide and very nice modern gravel.

They don't want asphalt anywhere as then cleaning up is an issue. As this track is sued for corporate and training.

Why on earth would anyone not want more gravel, Lydden is a shambolic rallycross track where only about 15% of the surface is loose, the rest is concrete and tarmac with gravel scattered over it that gets removed after practice!

I will give it a chance. That is all. But even that depends on what program they put with the WRX cars. AS at the moment IMG seem to only put everything in certain rounds, a pathetic decision.
Old 19 May 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3734457)   #50
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Bert, looking at the jump face the track goes clockwise. the jump is opposite the building on the left and the face is shallow there and steep the other side.
Ah ok then - how about the start here (again in yellow) - that does allow plenty of space for a dummy grid as well. It does mean that the paddock would either have to be over that side or else the cars would have to do almost half a lap of Stowe to get to the grid.

Good fun these guessing games!
Attached Thumbnails
v2.jpg