Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 Feb 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3197039)   #1
Fordster
Rookie

Fordster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Battery

I need to buy a new battery for my car and have in the past either used REDtOP or Oddesey but wondered about using a golf trolley/mobility battery which seem pretty similar but around a third of the price.

Does anyone have any views/expeience

Thanks
Old 1 Feb 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3197074)   #2
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordster View Post
I need to buy a new battery for my car and have in the past either used REDtOP or Oddesey but wondered about using a golf trolley/mobility battery which seem pretty similar but around a third of the price.

Does anyone have any views/expeience

Thanks
Shud be fine, I am currently using a motorbike battery.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3197117)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They must be good,cant have Dorris breaking down in the middle of no where!
A lot of cars in VLN use those batteries now,never a problem
Old 1 Feb 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3197369)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We used to use the back up batteries from the telephone exchange
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Feb 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3197398)   #5
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We used to use the back up batteries from the telephone exchange
That rings a bell....
Old 3 Feb 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3198453)   #6
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
FranksWilde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need a new battery.

What capacity (Ah) do you buy?

Don't they all have different discharge rates ie the redtop batteries will deliver very high cranking amps (discharge) for their size.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3198490)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWilde View Post
I need a new battery.

What capacity (Ah) do you buy?

Don't they all have different discharge rates ie the redtop batteries will deliver very high cranking amps (discharge) for their size.
How long's a piece of string ?
If you have a charging system then you can get away with a smaller amp battery as long as your car is a good starter.
If it hasn't then it's best to go for a bigger one to make sure that it will last the race without running out of voltage.
Saying that, to a mere mortal like me the weight saving wouldn't make any difference so I would plug for the higher amp job as long as it fits
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Feb 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3198494)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
That rings a bell....
You must be Tim Vine !
Old 3 Feb 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3198553)   #9
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
I just want to make sure it'll turn the engine over amd more than once. 1600 Kent doesn't have an alternator. Do the batteries have to be no-leak gel ones? I'm sure I'm over complicating things but a tight budget requires a bit of anal retentiveness. ��
Old 3 Feb 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3198557)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I don't think that they "have" to be a gel type but you can't lay an acid one on it's side + acid in a crash could be a bit dodgy !
We all like to run things on a shoe string and certain things you can get away with, but if you spun on a corner and was in the middle of the track with a stalled engine and couldn't start easily you would wish you had spent that extra on a better battery !
Have a good look around and check prices, especially invalid vehicle ones
Old 3 Feb 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3198571)   #11
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
I know and have been there-very old redtop that wont hold a charge- but some batteries will give out more power even though they are the same amp/hour rating. E.g.redtop 25 output 680amp. I just want to make sure that they will put out enough power to crank over my engine. What have other people used ?
Old 5 Feb 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3199581)   #12
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have a red top thats in good nick. You can have it for £40 if you want.