Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Feb 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3615833)   #76
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is another view of the track and the various different areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Track 12.png  
Old 19 Feb 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3616029)   #77
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry, I would have liked to have done this, but I've been working on another project which wouldn't meet the criteria of the competition.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 01:40 (Ref:3616397)   #78
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just so as you know that I didn't just blindly come up with this suggestion, I have put together a design myself

The Sports arena would of course have a roof, but I've removed it to show the internal layout with the main ice hockey floor showing. This would be covered for other sports, and concerts...speaking of which I've shown the concert stage setup at the Eastern end.
The Larger building is a multifunctional exhibition space that can be parted up into separate sections.

I'll hold off announcing a winner until rubaru posts
Attached Thumbnails
Arena Top View.jpg   Arena venue.jpg  
Old 21 Feb 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3616398)   #79
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey sorry...this one is way out of my league. I don't have the skills to turn out something like that. Count me out of this round.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 21:57 (Ref:3616597)   #80
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As much as I like Wolfhound's design.

THe winner due to the real world scale goes to Bcarr6

Over to you for the next one.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3616744)   #81
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Track Design Game

Woohoo, thanks!

So here's my challenge.

Bathurst was at the start of the month and I'm sure we all agree it's a classic circuit.

What I would like to see is Bathurst bought to Europe, with a circuit running 'up the mountain' and down again.

It should be a classic dipping and diving circuit that flows with the natural terrain, much like Bathurst, Brands Hatch, green hell, and Mid Ohio do. It's important to have a substantial climb involved.

However it should also be built to accommodate a bigger capacity GT3 grid, so nothing too tight, and there should be a pit/track capacity of 60+, and have good track width, but not as much as something like the Red Bull Ring necessarily. It doesn't need to be single seater worthy. You can be a little less forgiving with run off areas too, it would be nice to see a track that rewards driver skill.

Pits should be at the base of the hill/mountain, and at least one of either the ascent or descent should be mostly straight.

This complex would be a part time track running 3-4 substantial GT/touring events each year, so capability for multi use would be interesting.

And you may use up to existing roads that amounts to anything up to 30% of the track length, although it's not a must.

One downside of Bathurst is the length of time it takes to clear cars on the mountain, so better access would be good.

spectator access should be considered too so the site should be somewhere easily reached by road/rail.

Max length is 5 miles, no minimum.

Much like ScotsBrutesFan I haven't challenged you with this without having my own site in mind that would work.

Shall we say end of the month for ideas?

Last edited by Bcarr6; 22 Feb 2016 at 15:45.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 22:30 (Ref:3617819)   #82
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
are we talking about a real world European location,or can we creative in 3D?
Attached Thumbnails
tester.jpg  
Old 26 Feb 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3617833)   #83
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Be nice to have it vaguely real world, but you can get pretty creative with landscaping!!

Maybe just use 3d but give some background on potential rough location!
Old 8 Mar 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3621255)   #84
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Are we doing anything with this anymore? All the challenges with using 3-D graphics software and designing paddocks, pit roads, grandstands...way out of my league. Hoping we can dumb this down again and make it a little more fun for some of us, shorter time length on challenges, less complicated, etc.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3621340)   #85
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've not been at my PC for over a week, been living off my iPad, otherwise I would have had something done. Never assume that redecorating the computer room, is a 2 day job

I might try knocking something like his together sometime in the future but in the mean time.....

Anyone want to introduce a new challenge ?
Old 8 Mar 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3621366)   #86
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This reminds me of Brands Hatch with parts of it being mirrored and/or exchanged with other corners from the same circuit. That's interesting since Brands Hatch is pretty unique.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 02:16 (Ref:3626162)   #87
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shall we reboot this thread?
Old 23 Mar 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3626302)   #88
rubaru
Rookie

United States
I'm in still...just was waiting for something that I'm qualified to handle!
Old 23 Mar 2016, 23:45 (Ref:3626521)   #89
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
As above anyone want to offer a new challenge?
Old 26 Mar 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3627362)   #90
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Design an interesting circuit of at least 3km in length with the orange outline. All runoff space, pit lane and the paddock must be within the orange outline. Use the 500m length for scale.

---OR---

Ignore the scale and design an interesting circuit of any length within the orange outline. This option requires at least one Suzuka-style figure of eight crossover bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
challenge 2.png   challenge.png  
Old 26 Mar 2016, 03:51 (Ref:3627375)   #91
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will do that when I get home Sunday/Monday (time zone fun), but to be honest most of my circuits now (that I've not been posting because of laziness) start with interestingly shaped boundaries that I later erase.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3627693)   #92
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Using the scale, a bit of a bike circuit of and figure 8 as well. Main straight Runs towards bottom Right
Attached Thumbnails
Challenge.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3627765)   #93
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Using the scale, a bit of a bike circuit of and figure 8 as well. Main straight Runs towards bottom Right
Now, you're getting into the conceptual stuff: combining a biker circuit with a figure of 8 is pretty inventive. Kudos for this idea. And there's a good flow to it as well.

I'd love to read our biker circuit expert, LuiggiSpeed's take on this one.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3627887)   #94
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Going outside the scale, here is a 5km racing circuit on the top left with a couple of short cut options, but also extends out into an 11 km test circuit.

Some of the crossovers will require gradient angles above the single seater limits but it is fantasy land.

I'll break it down into easier to follow section later.

Sneaky edit to add the Racing circuit, the standalone test loops, and the full circuit options.
Attached Thumbnails
Challenge Extreme outline.jpg   Challenge Extreme Racing loop.jpg   Challenge Extreme Test Loops.jpg  

Challenge Extreme long tests.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 27 Mar 2016 at 22:17.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3629269)   #95
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
anyone feeling brave enough to take SBF on?
Old 1 Apr 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3629360)   #96
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
anyone feeling brave enough to take SBF on?
Yeah, life happened slightly this week. I'm on it.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3629473)   #97
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Of the first circuit, I may have had issues reaching the 3 km mark. Somehow, my first iteration ended up resembling Sochi, then my second iteration more than slightly echoed Okayama, and the third reminded of Calafat. Each km is marked for the longest variation. I left the erased marks to demonstrate the comedic numbers of revisions I made.

The second went for a minimalist approach sharing commonalities with its smaller scale, twistier brother.

I'm probably not done with these, but that's for my own track thread.
Attached Thumbnails
TDG.jpg   TDG Alt..jpg  

Last edited by AoB Special Stage; 2 Apr 2016 at 09:37.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3630946)   #98
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
SBF wins with the bike circuit!
Old 7 Apr 2016, 22:37 (Ref:3631076)   #99
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
Design an interesting circuit of at least 3km in length with the orange outline. All runoff space, pit lane and the paddock must be within the orange outline. Use the 500m length for scale.
. . .

Attachment 46895

Last edited by AoB Special Stage; 7 Apr 2016 at 22:52. Reason: I'm a useless pillock
Old 8 Apr 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3631173)   #100
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
In the challenge I gave two options:

"Design an interesting circuit of at least 3km in length with the orange outline. All runoff space, pit lane and the paddock must be within the orange outline. Use the 500m length for scale.

---OR---

Ignore the scale and design an interesting circuit of any length within the orange outline. This option requires at least one Suzuka-style figure of eight crossover bridge."

Technically SBF's bike circuit meets the criteria of option two, since it is an interesting circuit of any length and includes a figure-of-eight crossover.

Or, is this a controversial choice???!!!