Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Sep 2000, 19:45 (Ref:39228)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's really weird. Every thing about the way a car is styled is like nothing you approve of....

It's not aristocratic like a Bentley.

It's not dynamic like a Lotus.

It's not voluptuous like a Jaguar E.

And yet it's the first new car in years that I've wanted so much it hurts.

It's the

2000 Chrysler PT Cruiser.

They only started appearing in England this summer, but I had a chance to have a good look over one at Goodwood, and I don't know what it is about it, but by 'eck it's gorgeous.

Anyone else really bowled over by a car but can't figure out for the life of you why?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:21 (Ref:39235)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Tim, I nearly posted the Cruiser in the ugly cars thread last week, but I gave it a last minute reprieve.

The only one I've seen 'in the flesh' so to speak, was black. This had the unfortunate effect of immediately turning it into a modern day FX4. For those that aren't aux fais with initials, that's a plain ol' London cab.

I have to say though, even though Chrysler have based all their latest proto-creations on classic cars; Prowler, Cruiser, even the Viper, they are still seen as cutting edge with fantasy styling.

Retro sells. Fact.

By the way, I'm quite into the Hot Rodding scene... all Ford Pops and '32 Hot Rods, and the guys in the know reckon these cars are gonna take the Hot Rod market by storm. No more rooting around in dusty barns for even rustier old relics. Start modifying a PT Cruiser and you're already half way there.

Shame it's front wheel drive though. It's screaming out for a 7-litre Viper V8 under that bonnet... er, hood!

Can I have one please!?
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:33 (Ref:39241)   #3
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutely HATE that car - the only one i've seen recently which was worse was the prototype of the new Mini which I saw very early on the M25 one morning - and had to follow until I worked out what the hell it was supposed to be!

The Cruiser reminds me of a black cab from the front, and a hearse from the back - which is unfortunate as neither of them are my first choice of transport!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:50 (Ref:39251)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Originally posted by... er, me:
Quote:
...a 7-litre Viper V8...
Before anybody else points it out, the Viper has a V10!

Well, Duh!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:55 (Ref:39255)   #5
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hhhhuey - Tim, you're sick. Suggest a visit to the doctor's STAT!

Oddly enough, when I followed a black Cruiser t'other day, my thoughts were "black cab crossed with hearse" too
Old 25 Sep 2000, 20:57 (Ref:39259)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You know what you said about cabs and hearses, WVM?

Well, I actually looked seriously into buying a 1975 Ford Granada Hearse one time.

Why? Well, it was an old-shape Ford Granny with the 3-litre lump, it had only done 15,000 miles from new, it had never been taken over 40mph. Naturally it had full service history, and was immaculate.

And I needed something with a bit of carrying capacity. And you've got to admit that whatever else a hearse has got, it's got carrying capacity.

And it was going for seven hundred quid.

Someone else bought it while I was persuading the rest of my household that it would be COOL to have such a machine on the driveway.

Everyone should have a hearse. You know it makes sense!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 21:00 (Ref:39260)   #7
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I could get hold of a granny hearse, i'd take it straight down to Arena Essex and stick it on the banger track - probably the best thing you could do with that thing pictured above!
Old 25 Sep 2000, 21:27 (Ref:39272)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aaarg!

Do I not like Banger Racing. As Invader will attest!

I'm just very grateful that there are four very active Ford Granada clubs busily redressing the balance, otherwise the humble Ford Granny would be utterly extinct in a couple of years, their bones scattered around the infield of Wimbledon, Hednesford, Arena Essex, Wisbech, Swaffham....

I searched long and hard for a photo of a Mk1 Hearse on the net, but I couldn't find one.

I did find something even better, though. A Ford Zodiac Mk4 Hearse! And if you're not careful, I'll post it too....

Which gives me an idea for another topic.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 21:45 (Ref:39277)   #9
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I opened this thread and saw the picture of the Chrysler Cruiser Tim posted, I spilled my coffee over my keyboardddd ddddd, ahem sorry.

I first thought it would jump out of my screen and eat me alive.
Wow, this is one big ugly... uh, car.
The back of the thing looks nice but the front looks like it's from a truck.

But, I have to agree with Tim, it's brilliant in its ugliness.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 01:38 (Ref:39318)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have a client who bought one. He was so proud of it, I didn't have the heart (or the bad judgement)to tell him I loathed it.
I think the New Beetle is much cuter and I still enjoy seeing them.

I give my vote to the recently discontinued large Chevies; everything I hate in a car, and yet I find myself lusting after after an Impala SS.

Old 26 Sep 2000, 09:36 (Ref:39350)   #11
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's actually quite a nice car, EERO. From where I'm sitting, it looks a little like a slightly stretched 7 series BMW, which I like lots.

Back to the original question, the Lotus 340R is without question a truely unpleasant car to look at, but I still want one more than anything else.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 10:37 (Ref:39359)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, MichaelC-BUT ITS A BIG CHEVY.

Arghghghghghghghg.....I have find that Volvo brochure....it must be around here somewhere...
Old 26 Sep 2000, 10:43 (Ref:39361)   #13
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that chrysler this morning!!
Same colour and everything.
First reaction: What the hell is that!!!

It kind of looks like that weirdo plymouth (prowler or duster or something like that), the same plastic bumper and grille.
Well that car (prowler it is) goes into this category as well. It's a weird and ugly car but... it's got something.

Old 26 Sep 2000, 18:41 (Ref:39455)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky

By the way, I'm quite into the Hot Rodding scene... all Ford Pops and '32 Hot Rods, and the guys in the know reckon these cars are gonna take the Hot Rod market by storm.
Sparky, have you done a Vulcan Mind Meld with Franklin?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 19:26 (Ref:39463)   #15
Sparky
Veteran

I don't think I did, EERO.

besides, what would the chances of survival be?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 19:31 (Ref:39465)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
A car so ugly it's brilliant?

Ever seen an Ape Van? Italy is overrun with them. They are the ugliest little things (some of them have scooter type handlebars instead of a steering wheel), with room for only one person and a trailer on the back, but they are great!!!!
Old 26 Sep 2000, 23:15 (Ref:39519)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
You're right, RG,

That is one horrid little beastie. The importers are making a big thing about how a 16 year old can legally run one.

My question is - what 16 year old is confident enough in their street credibility to risk it?
Old 27 Sep 2000, 03:04 (Ref:39542)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the last time I was in London, I saw a number of these little tiny electric cars that only seat 2 people, in what looks sort of like a little cube. I am always in favour of alternative energy sources, but you would think that they could at least make them look like any other car.

TimD, there are 2000 Crysler PT Cruisers all over my city. I hate it! Maybe someone was giving them away or something.
[Edited by Jay on 27th September 2000]
Old 27 Sep 2000, 09:08 (Ref:39571)   #19
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean the "Smart"?

Urrrggghhhh... basically a pre-shrunk Mercedes A-class.

And the Renault Twingo would also have to go on the "My God, that's ugly" list. Apparently a woman designed it, or so I heard, which explains the "eyelashes". Now, being female myself, I'm all for women breaking into the automotive world, but could they at least be dignified about it?
Old 27 Sep 2000, 18:00 (Ref:39684)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

cue remarks about that crysler thing and ugly garages, ugly jet washes, and a big ugly stick. i would not be seen dead in one.

however, the fiat multipla is quite a cutie. and the fiat punto is ugly, yet totally gorgeous. admittedly, the bass box in the boot has it's advantages....
Old 27 Sep 2000, 20:47 (Ref:39720)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Multipla

I believe the Multipla came up several times in the plainold ugly cars thread! It really is one of the most hideous things ever to grace the roads. I think.