Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 20 Jul 2001, 11:08 (Ref:119585)   #1
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Cost of one race meeting

how much does it cost for one race meeting, because i am looking into race karts.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 14:52 (Ref:119685)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hello "the man" and welcome to the karting forum and ten tenths in general.

firstly i dont know where you are located ..but assuming you have all the equipment already then a race meeting is reasonably cheap.

here in Oz I would pay $20 for entry fee into one class or $30 for two classes..then being a 2 kart team we spent about $20 on fuel and around $18 for oil..and basically thats it..always handy to have extra cash in case of some kind of failure or a crash or something like that..but if everything ran smoothly and only ran one class we would spend around the $80 mark for the weekend at our local club ..but if you travel then obviously the price goes up dramatically for tow car fuel and accomodation ....oh and i usually took a bit of extra cash for some food if i didnt take some sandwhiches or something.

Hope this helps

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 21 Jul 2001, 11:56 (Ref:119933)   #3
the man
Veteran

thanks for that peice of info marcus. What club do u belong to? What kind of kart should i go for a second hand kart or a new kart?
what kind of race suit and helmet is the best?
regards
The man
Old 21 Jul 2001, 12:44 (Ref:119945)   #4
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new karter to

I've just bought a kart as well so any info on setup's like dailing out understeer and so on would be great

The man and marus what clubs are you guys in as Iam looking for a club as well
Old 21 Jul 2001, 13:05 (Ref:119949)   #5
the man
Veteran

hey Ralfanator i am looking for a club too because i am going into kart racing too. What kind of kart did u buy? How much did it cost?
regards the man
Old 21 Jul 2001, 13:17 (Ref:119951)   #6
RALFANATOR
Racer

Hi the man . I brought a old frame its call SPEEDY but it has a new motor (clubman) I got it for $800 as Iam just going to do a club C/Ship I didn't what to spend to much but I'd love a AX6/7 but maybe later

hey I got 2 sponsors already cool hey . I use to race in sport sedan though (club C/ship) but there on board though

where are you from Tman?
Old 21 Jul 2001, 15:45 (Ref:119987)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great to have you guys on board...I was a member of the Albury/Wodonga club but sadly due to finances havent raced for about a year....not sure where you guys are located at all..but the best bet would be to look in your local phone book ...oh yeh i might add..i have an AX6 with a 100cc clubman S motor and its all up for sale (CHEAP !!!!!!) ..suit and everything...except for my helmet..want to keep that in case i buy a motorbike or something..the man ...my kart was second hand when i bought it and its a great way to learn...without the expense of a brand new one..mine is still in good nick but the motor is a little tired but $500 should see it up and winning races

suits can be picked up cheap but I would suggest a brand new helmet as you dont want to play around with safety..maybe some protective gear as well..like neck brace,kidney belt and stuff like that

back to the clubs..there are plenty out there and most are quite good...the guys at my club were quite helpfull when i first started even V8 driver nathan pretty helped out with some set ups..I think your best bet would be to get in touch with a club and go along and check it out and make your choices from there.

dont know much about speedy karts ralf ..but try experimenting with track in and track out and camber and caster if you have that adjustment..or see if you can get hold of a manufacturers booklet to help you locate things that you could try changing.

damm all this talk makes me want to get back out there ....ohh well gonna have to wait a few years yet and hopefully get back into it in the over 40's class

good luck to yas and if you need more info on anything then just post it here and hopefully myself or the other regulars can help you guys out.

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 21 Jul 2001, 23:23 (Ref:120088)   #8
RALFANATOR
Racer

Thanx marcus I'll try to get the booklet . I 'll be based out of wollongong at the end of this year so I think Kembla Grange will be the home track so what ever club is down that way.

CHEERS
RALFANATOR
Old 22 Jul 2001, 06:42 (Ref:120138)   #9
the man
Veteran

I come from the west of Sydney near the Penrith Lakes scheme.Marcus for a package deal for the kart with engine ( no suit or gloves) how much would u want for it? I want to join the NSKC ( north shore karting club) it is based at eastern creek karting track.
regards The Man
Old 22 Jul 2001, 07:39 (Ref:120144)   #10
RALFANATOR
Racer

Tman
I hear NSKC is pretty pricey .when you buy one let me know when your going for a run and I hook up with you
Old 22 Jul 2001, 21:38 (Ref:120291)   #11
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents

before you buy a kart I suggest you go and have a good look at some race meetings at the club you want to race at. See what classes are popular and what sort of support local dealers give to particular makes of kart.

Sorry Marcus, but be careful about buying karts hat are currently not racing, regulations change and you may have to spend more money just to pass scrutineering. (we ahave several Bridgestone YEQ's tha we bought with our kart but can't use, as our class changed to Dunlops just as we bought our kart. The local indoor kart centre is happy though.)
Old 23 Jul 2001, 02:15 (Ref:120370)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
you make a good point Phil..I dont have the new tyres so a set of them is needed and a new exhaust pipe is needed as well as I believe the control one is different to the one i have..im pretty sure thats about it....I'd be happy to let my kart go for about $1200 but would drop down to about $1000 for everything i have , Kart , engine , 2 stands..and i'd even throw in my suit for free

also Phil makes a good point about going to a meeting first and just seeing what the classes are like..no use in spending a heap of money to find out you make a up a field of 4 karts ..check it out and see what kind of spares are avialable for the brand of kart you are looking at in your area is a great idea...dont want to get stuck with a kart that needs parts from italy each month...but i guess an Aussie built kart would be a good choice for that .
Old 23 Jul 2001, 09:42 (Ref:120451)   #13
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
marcus theres a message in either your email or private message box from me. Thanks
Old 23 Jul 2001, 10:22 (Ref:120461)   #14
the man
Veteran

thanks for those regs for me HRT KID and Marcus, but have any of yous heard of arrow karts? I found there kart site at arrowkarts.com.au. Do yous know where they are based?

If i am looking for sponsership who should i be looking for? Anyone or bussiness that sell spark plugs etc.?
regards THE MAN
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:14 (Ref:120482)   #15
RALFANATOR
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by the man
thanks for those regs for me HRT KID and Marcus, but have any of yous heard of arrow karts? I found there kart site at arrowkarts.com.au. Do yous know where they are based?

If i am looking for sponsership who should i be looking for? Anyone or bussiness that sell spark plugs etc.?
regards THE MAN
The man arrows karts like the AX6 & AX7 are supposed to be really good I think marcus owns one (I think?) as for sponsors well an oil mob is good as is tyres if you can get them plus a sign writer is also hand well that's what I done so it covers overheads

I know of a tony kart 4 sale but I go for a ARROWS if you can as I hear there the gun (hear ) I also hear there win ratio is high compared to other makes (that what there ads say anyway )
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:17 (Ref:120485)   #16
The Hrt Kid
Racer

yeah those ax7's look so good. You should be able to pick spark plugs, oil etc from your look auto shop. I use the ngk brand spark plug and the shell brand oil. I can get part numbers if you like? Hey has anyone used that omi in there kart? if so is it any good?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:32 (Ref:120496)   #17
RALFANATOR
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hrt Kid
yeah those ax7's look so good. You should be able to pick spark plugs, oil etc from your look auto shop. I use the ngk brand spark plug and the shell brand oil. I can get part numbers if you like? Hey has anyone used that omi in there kart? if so is it any good?
Yes NGK plugs are the goods well when it comes to cars anyway & my friend races bikes (2 stroke ) and he swears by them

1 . tech question what is the best mix ratio (new motor) I am running 20.1 now should I lean more out or rich up . I also sell oil for my sponsor as well if anyone is looking for REPSOL (my sponsor) I can sell under trade prices

and does silenters effect HP much?

maybe in late 02 I'll buy a AX7 you spot on HRT sssssooooo good
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:35 (Ref:120498)   #18
The Hrt Kid
Racer

****... i was told to run my oil ratio at 40:1
will this affect my kart in any way?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:49 (Ref:120507)   #19
RALFANATOR
Racer

Quote:
****... i was told to run my oil ratio at 40:1
will this affect my kart in any way?
my sponsor said to run 33:1 while running in but after that go no lower than 16:1 but that with REPSOL (plug plug ) oil it may differ with other oils ?

but mine does move with 20:1 . In rough terms the higher the ratio
ie-: 50:1 the motor will be rich and running cooler but slower where 16:1 will run hotter but faster (with more wear)

to my knowing any way ( Pls if Iam wrong let me know)
Old 23 Jul 2001, 12:24 (Ref:120516)   #20
The Hrt Kid
Racer

ahhh interesting. im only new to karting so i didnt know. whats a bottle of repsol worth?
Old 23 Jul 2001, 15:07 (Ref:120578)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well where to start ..yes i do have an AX6 and it is a great kart to drive..I think its a great learning kart and suits my sideays style of driving.. i like it and sliding doesnt slow me down that much ..so i guess it depends on your style of driving ...

as for Arrow karts they are made in melbourne by Drew Price engineering check out their website at www.dpeng.com.au this should give you more info on Arrow karts that are available..Drew price is a long time racer and was last seen in the early 90's i believe in Formula Brabham/Holden..his son (Bart I think ?) was Australian champion in my class (Clubby light) a few years ago and is very fast ..but then his dad gives him all the trick bits doesnt he

right ..for the good oil please ask someone else

anyway when we first started we were given the wrong mixture by the last owner of the kart (PCR Atomikart) it took 2 engine blow ups to get this right ...Im not sure about the terms you guys are using as sadly im not that technical ..but we put 500ml in 10 litres of fuel ..dont know what works out to be in your language.

yes running too little oil can seriously damage your engine..in fact it can seize it solid twice even
im not really sure what too much oil can do for an engine ...this is one tip to really look into guys but please dont take my word for it as i could be wrong ..check with manufacturers and other racers that you can trust or it could get very expensive at around $800 a rebuild.
I have only used the shell helix brand of oil and the NGK and champion spark plugs..found all really good allthough i tend to lean towards the NGK for sparkies..seemed that little better for me.

about silences ..Im pretty sure they suck a bit of horsepower out but you have to use what the regs say and its the same for everyone so it shouldnt be a problem

as for sponsors...go for anyone ...thats all i can say ..I tried a few but had no luck ..even with a website for them to go and look at ..just no bites ..but it didnt concern me to much so i didnt really try that much..the one rule to remember when looking for sponsorship is....sure the guys money would be great and you could do this and do that ...but What can you do for them ???? ..always remember that ..a sponsor wants value for money have a look here to possibly get some ideas on sponsorship

anyway hope this helps and if I am wrong let me know as I dont want to be giving out dud info to people

P.S great topic guys ...a great read indeed.
CHEERS
Marcus
Old 23 Jul 2001, 15:09 (Ref:120579)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ohh and HRT Kid ..i got your e mail and hopefully you got my reply
Old 23 Jul 2001, 22:35 (Ref:120759)   #23
philneast
Racer

Australia
Not only are Arrow karts made in Melbourne there are lots of dealers around the country. Even our italian Kali sports lots of Arrow bits because of local dealer support.

Oil mixture depends on the motor you are running. from fifty to one petrol oil mixture for a Rotax MAX to about twenty to one for a Yamaha.

The brand oil is not important, the type of oil is. Most companies make a range of two stroke oils. The stuff you would use in yur lawn mower is suitable for a Ymamha KT100. We use only top quality synthetic two stroke racing oil. (see Marcus's comments about engine rebuilds.)

You probably won't be able to buy plugs at your local auto parts store as two strokes require special racing plugs. We use NGK BGEV9's in our KT100J. These have special electrodes that will take the high temperatures in a racing motor and will resist fouling of the electrodes by the oil in the fuel mixture.

The mixture that people adjust is the air/fuel ratio not the oil petrol ratio. On Yamaha's a Walbro carby is used and this has two adjustable jets. One for hig revs and one for low revs.These are adjusted by the driver any time. The more air ( or leaner ) gives more power, but more heat. Richer gives less power but the motor runs cooler. Be careful though if yu go too lean it easy to melt the top of the piston, I am speaking fom experience here.

But go to your local club and look and learn. Find a local engine builder for your type of motor and build a relationship, a good one will be happy to give all the specific info ragarding oil, plugs, and gearing for local tracks.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 07:40 (Ref:120924)   #24
RALFANATOR
Racer

Quote:
ahhh interesting. im only new to karting so i didnt know. whats a bottle of repsol worth?
well 1 liter is $9.00 but I think I can better that MOTO 2T is the type I am picking up a create this week so I can give you spec's later

philneast Thanx for the info the more the better . those adjustments on the carby is one mix & one idle our do I have it wrong . My one has 1 lever closeset to motor with a T BAR (idle?) and the 2nd is a lever just in front of the TBAR (mix?) put Iam just guessing as I haven't had a chance for a full shakedown since I rebulid the axle /brakes .

any thuoghs ?
Old 24 Jul 2001, 22:29 (Ref:121322)   #25
philneast
Racer

Australia
RALFANATOR

This link will give you a good starting point to know what questions to ask. The principles are the saem but the motor is different.

http://www.kart-racer.co.uk/kart-books/tkm/tkm.html

He does talk about reading mixture by taking the head off. This is impossible in Australia because the heads are sealed and tagged at scrutineering. We read the plug, dark and oily too rich and slow , but safe. A brown colour is supposed to be good, and if it is whitish then it may be too lean, and could be looking for a visit to the engine builder.

The two adjusters are for high speed and low speed jets. The idle is adjusted on the butterfly lever.

At low revs coming out of corners the low speed jet is supplying all the fuel to the motor,while the high speed comes into play on the straights at higher revs.

Tuning the carby is a bit of a black art as far as I can see. Everybody has own way of doing things. This is our general approach, it is on KT100J not a Clubman KT100S, but he carby is the same. After melting a piston by running too lean we tend to run a bit rich. It nmay be a fraction slower but the kart is still running and we prefer to get the seat time toimprove our driving, and have fun.

The general procedure is to adjust them until the motor is too ricjh and four strokes.This is when there is too much fuel to be burnt in the cylinder andf it starts to miss. Then you start to lean (wind the needles in (or clockwise) until the engine runs cleanly and makes more power. If you go too far lean the engine will either sieze or melt the top of the piston, so be careful. We still err on the side of rich.

The low speed on the Walbro is the one closest to the motor and should be turned out about 1 1/2 turns as a starting point. Adjust while driving until it is too rich and the kart misses comin out of slow corners. Then wind the needle back in (clockwise) until the miss goes.

The high speed jet has only bout two thirds of a turn adjustment. Start about 1/8th of a turn out, and adjust this after th low speed is right. Turn it out (richen) until the kart misses at the high speed part of your track then just wind it back in a fraction so once again the miss has gone.

WARNING!! this was a very rough guide only.

Use it mainly so you can ask more specific questions.

We found at our club STKC at Orielton in Tasmania that help was readily available, there are plenty of people willing to help. Watch a few races and work out who is worth asking.

Dont, forget to prime the carby before the first run of the day. Take the plug out, choke the airbox and turn the motor over.