Bianchi 0 0%
Chilton 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Sep 2013, 00:04 (Ref:3308450)   #51
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Vettel for me. It's not just the car.

Good drives from Raikkonen and Alonso.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3308490)   #52
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
How on earth can that be bad for the sport?
This is how:

The story of his unbridled evil has been so twisted and convoluted over the years that no one is now quite sure where it began (although I get the vague sensation that the 2010 Turkish Grand Prix had something to do with it), but the fact remains that it is human nature (and I am somewhat guilty of this) to want to see the king dethroned viciously by the underdog. The villainous complex surrounding Vettel doesn't help matters. And three runaway races in a row in absolutely identical, idiotic style by Formula 1's new "dumb blonde" does indeed get a bit BORING after a while. It almost makes you want to quit wasting your time because you know the outcome. He absolutely dominates all of the Singapore-Abu Dhabi streak of racing and the title is essentially his. What is there to watch or get excited about? All I could find entertaining in Singapore was staring at that amazing opera house in the far-away shots. Viewership is going to go down once people shut off their TV in disgust after the first 15 laps as I did. Vettel is absolutely murdering the sport with his attitude and whinging/winning, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Formula 1 is becoming more and more like a circus. And F1 2013 will likely be named one of the most boring seasons of racing in the last decade.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3308526)   #53
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So what should be done about it?

Shoot Vettel, (which seems to be the preferred solution amongst many), limit all F1 drivers to one WDC or let the most cuddly driver win all the time.

This loathing of Vettel is unfounded, undeserved and ridiculous.

Your drivers (and mine) aren’t cutting it, get over it!!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 04:04 (Ref:3308543)   #54
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Wouldn't you vote for him if someone else did ?
Don't know. If others were giving him his due (IMO he probably outperformed Kimi, though that's hard to determine considering neither had much clean air before Rogro suffered an early demise) I probably would have gone with the obvious and voted Vettel.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 04:41 (Ref:3308551)   #55
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
So what should be done about it?

Shoot Vettel, (which seems to be the preferred solution amongst many), limit all F1 drivers to one WDC or let the most cuddly driver win all the time.

This loathing of Vettel is unfounded, undeserved and ridiculous.

Your drivers (and mine) aren’t cutting it, get over it!!
I'm not a pro-Vettel fan but the domination doesn't worry me. If its boring go and do something else or if its shown at night I go to bed....

Simply I don't care too much any more because F1 doesn't mean anything to me any more. I used to be passionate about it but now its not the reason for getting up in the morning and never will be again.

I will discuss it on a forum but is it a 'must do' or a 'world changer' for me anymore? No.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 04:43 (Ref:3308552)   #56
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right, Teretonga. There are other motives...
Old 24 Sep 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3308556)   #57
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Sebastian Vettel. The on-form driver. How can anyone deny he's one of the best now? Seriously? Are people deluding themselves?
I am not deluded. I will go on record as to say he is the best of all time. Of all time. Above every drive who has driven a race car and for this he gets booed. Sad indeed.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3308558)   #58
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
If you don't like the RBR domination in F1 go watch some Real racing instead.

like....... V8 Supercars, no redbull domination here.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:09 (Ref:3308583)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hell, F1 is the 'pinnacle' - it's sacrilege to suggest there might be something else that presents better viewing......
Old 24 Sep 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3308669)   #60
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pole, drove away into the distance twice. Sure he has a great car but get used to it the guy is a class act.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3308705)   #61
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

Not because Jenson won, not because it proved that under severe pressure Seb is vulnerable and makes mistakes, but because it was theatre, it was unknown until that last minute, it showed fallibility and also great skill and control.

THAT to me is racing, not leading by 2 seconds after one lap and not passing anyone for the rest of the race because your car is designed so perfectly.
Both are racing to me.

I don't see how a driver dominating isn't sport. Measures to stop it are, if anything, less sporty.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3308728)   #62
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There's some bizarre posts on this thread. I think the sport has become too much of a business and we're basically congratulating Vettel for being a highly efficient employee. Like Gordon 'Greed is good' Gekko. The old virtues of heroism that in my view makes a great a real great doesn't count anymore. Virtues that made Stirling Moss a great whereas Piquet, who is very good, was not a great. Vettel is a 'great' because he achieves all his targets.

I wouldn't dream of sabotaging Vettel. Good sport allows the possibility of domination. My main advice to the sport is clear out the gimmicks and sort out the wings, otherwise if you're dominant, you're dominant and I'm content with that. That it might cull the popularity of the sport is a good thing not a bad thing.

That said, they'll probably react to any flagging popularity by cramming the sport with other disgusting gimmicks like reverse grids and success ballast.

Last edited by Paradise City; 24 Sep 2013 at 13:00.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 16:07 (Ref:3308806)   #63
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Success ballast is horrible. If I didn't dislike the BTCC for its bumpercar racing driving standards, I wouldn't watch because of that (I haven't looked for a while to see if it still includes success ballast).
Old 24 Sep 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3308958)   #64
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Success ballast is horrible. If I didn't dislike the BTCC for its bumpercar racing driving standards, I wouldn't watch because of that (I haven't looked for a while to see if it still includes success ballast).
F1 needs to be a bit more like BTCC for me to regard it as true "racing". Success ballast, bumping, insane, risky blocking... all part of the show and part of the race. Just my two cents, I'm sure many others will disagree...
Old 25 Sep 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3309329)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It isn't primarily a show. It is a sport, a competition. It is good that it is entertaining, but that isn't the main reason.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 04:41 (Ref:3309453)   #66
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Myself, just can't be bothered with mum's taxi racing!
Old 29 Sep 2013, 05:03 (Ref:3310592)   #67
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just watched the race since I was gone moose hunting all week. My vote goes to Kimi hands down. That pass on Button while jacked on painkillers was awesome!