Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Dec 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3696935)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
CSCC SILVERSTONE

CSCC visit Silverstone.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3735466)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I understand there are big grids for this meeting, so well done CSCC!

Hope we get some input from tenthers participating......
Old 23 May 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3735490)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Got my finals the other day......our first outing in the 75 V6 this year. 44 plus reserves in our race on Saturday.....Apparently 358 entries over the two days. No idea where everyone is going to park - second drivers like me are banished to park our cars in the Silverstone Experience car park, and we are enjoined to depart the garages and the area around the wing as soon as our race presentation is over to make way for arrivals for Sunday.

Should be a busy (and if the forecast is to be believed,) very warm weekend! My race partner says because he's just bought a new set of "wets" it'll now be dry all season......
Old 27 May 2017, 23:03 (Ref:3736528)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Buying the wets seemed to have worked - only a few spots of rain today, although overcast in the afternoon making it somewhat cooler, thankfully.

Almost dead last in qualy - first time on the International circuit and only second time in the car in a year being chief excuses, plus the fact that everyon else has got a lot more power since we last raced with CSCC Future Classics.

Come the race my race partner, whose car it is, got a bit carried away with passing several cars away from the start, and proceeded to spin twice. We also had a longish pitstop when I failed to get one shoulder strap over the HANS, but I then managed to get progressively quicker despite spending half my time keeping out of the way of the seriously quick cars (Tuscans, 928, 911 Turbos, etc, and ended up with a quickest lap almost 5 seconds quicker than my mate......this may not have been tactful.......but we've known each other a long time.

Swinging Sixties seemd to have a good pair of races, despite a Morgan rather unnecessarily tipping a Camaro into a spin into the kitty litter at Club, bringing out the Safety car, though a number of cars in each of the races today seemed to succumb to the heat and what is a pretty quick circuit.

Another day's racing tomorrow - hope the weather holds for them.......

Incidentally I met a guy that some may know - Bob Ridgard - used to pedal an Alfetta GTV very successfully back in the 90s - he's now 74, and had been undergoing chemo for the last 7 years (!) but had been prevailed upon to come and co-drive a Dolly Sprint - sadly it expired in the race before he got a chance to drive it. He said it was probably his last year racing as he couldn't justify the cost of a new suit etc as his was due to be time-lapsed - although he said he'd be invited to Goodwood..... I told him to call me and I'd send him my suit!
Old 28 May 2017, 05:54 (Ref:3736551)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are race suits time expired? Just thought they had to meet the relevant standard and Scrutineering visual inspection?
Old 28 May 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3736565)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No they're not time expired.

Bob Ridgard of Ridgard Seats? I met him once when we had adjacent stands at an exhibition, some very convivial evenings ensued that week!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3736839)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
No they're not time expired.

Bob Ridgard of Ridgard Seats? I met him once when we had adjacent stands at an exhibition, some very convivial evenings ensued that week!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Of course you and Andy are right - I was very tired last night when I typed that, and just repeated what he'd said to me......wonder what he was thinking of? Could well be the same Bob Ridgard - in fact a quick google confirms it is - there's a video of him promoting the seats and its defintely him - a very pleasant bloke!
Old 29 May 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3737260)   #8
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard - you went five seconds a lap faster than Steve?

Was he not well?

Perhaps he won't have noticed???

Was originally planning to do this meeting myself when it was first announced way back at the end of last year, as it's not often we get the chance to do the international layout there is it? However, things haven't transpired how I'd hoped in the meantime, so no racing for the time being!

Had also hoped to do Croft, as that's another one we don't often get offered - but that looks increasingly unlikely now too.

Will just have to hope for Donington and Oulton later in the year if things pan out. What others are you aiming for?
Old 30 May 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3737356)   #9
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please excuse the photo overload - as some of you may know I picked the new camera body up on Thursday - Probably not the wisest decision 2 days before a race weekend but hey - we survived I think.

Anyway - enough drivel, few from the first outing.

#1 - had to try the 1/13 pan

#3 - managed the colours really well especially in bright direct sunlight

#5 - wanted a shot to show off to the sponsors, should able to read this okay ;-)

#6 - last one for now

Full Galleries are:

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 30 May 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3737366)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Was he not well?

Paul,

Looking at the timing results I think Richard may be able to get away with it.

In reality it was a little over 3 seconds rather than 5 if one considers the decimals. And the lap was a bit of an outlier so perhaps a tow, tail wind or a traffic free period in one of the faster bits.

I would have suggested a shortcut somewhere (in passing I thought I spotted a few pit in laps with unusually fast lap times for some competitors, though not for Richard's lap).

However since many competitors seemed to be punished for track excursion infringements (but not Richard's car) I assume that bypassing half a lap would have been spotted so the speed must have been genuine.

Old 30 May 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3737368)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stallard View Post
Please excuse the photo overload - as some of you may know I picked the new camera body up on Thursday - Probably not the wisest decision 2 days before a race weekend but hey - we survived I think.
Nice panning results David.

What's the new camera?
Old 30 May 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3737411)   #12
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sunday 28th May Silverstone

Hi everyone. I met an old guy I used to race with back in the day, someone took our picture.
So, here's Tony Sugden and me. Great day at Silverstone, it stayed dry and I was even given an Honorary membership. Cheers! Gerry.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0500.JPG  
Old 30 May 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3737414)   #13
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Nice panning results David.

What's the new camera?
Thank you!

Let the CC take a real hammering and bought the 1DX mkII Took a while to set it up as I liked it but leaps and bounds ahead of the mk1

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 30 May 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3737437)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Was he not well?

Was originally planning to do this meeting myself when it was first announced way back at the end of last year, as it's not often we get the chance to do the international layout there is it? However, things haven't transpired how I'd hoped in the meantime, so no racing for the time being!

Had also hoped to do Croft, as that's another one we don't often get offered - but that looks increasingly unlikely now too.

Will just have to hope for Donington and Oulton later in the year if things pan out. What others are you aiming for?
Having checked the detail from TSL I malign Steve - he had two laps in the 1.36s, a best of 1.36.128, whereas I had mostly 1.35 and 1.34s - with a best of 1.32.952 when a Morgan passed me on the pit straight and I surprised myself by hanging on to him through the bends, until Hanger straight when his V8 walked away

Sorry you weren't able to make it - Rob got out in Modern Classics, and like us was at the back in qualy but did a bit better in the race. We've got the entry in for Croft, and are hoping to do Donington and Oulton of course. Just need to work out how to pay for it
Old 30 May 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3737440)   #15
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Hi everyone. I met an old guy I used to race with back in the day, someone took our picture.
So, here's Tony Sugden and me. Great day at Silverstone, it stayed dry and I was even given an Honorary membership. Cheers! Gerry.
Good man, Tony - met him last year when I shared Safety Car duties with him at Oulton - he certainly still knows how to drive!
Old 30 May 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3737524)   #16
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stallard View Post
Thank you!

Let the CC take a real hammering and bought the 1DX mkII Took a while to set it up as I liked it but leaps and bounds ahead of the mk1

.DAVID.
Hi David,

I had a feeling you might have made that jump. However I was not expecting the observation about the improvement over the Mk1.

Interesting.

Thanks for the answer. I shall look at your published shoots with even greater interest.
Old 30 May 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3737526)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Paul,

Looking at the timing results I think Richard may be able to get away with it.

In reality it was a little over 3 seconds rather than 5 if one considers the decimals. And the lap was a bit of an outlier so perhaps a tow, tail wind or a traffic free period in one of the faster bits.

I would have suggested a shortcut somewhere (in passing I thought I spotted a few pit in laps with unusually fast lap times for some competitors, though not for Richard's lap).

However since many competitors seemed to be punished for track excursion infringements (but not Richard's car) I assume that bypassing half a lap would have been spotted so the speed must have been genuine.

Pretty accurate Grant I was getting faster as I learnt the circuit but the real quick lap was, as I said to Paul, when I chased after a Morgan, and didn't have to get out of anyone else's way.

The "Pit-in" times do look quick, but I think its because the pit entry is before Vale - a dead straight run to a 90 right which is almost immediately followed by the 60kph limit but also the timing line...whereas on the course you have to do the 90 left into 90 right Vale, followed by the long right of Club, before reaching the timing line.
Old 31 May 2017, 04:23 (Ref:3737548)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Pretty accurate Grant I was getting faster as I learnt the circuit but the real quick lap was, as I said to Paul, when I chased after a Morgan, and didn't have to get out of anyone else's way.

The "Pit-in" times do look quick, but I think its because the pit entry is before Vale - a dead straight run to a 90 right which is almost immediately followed by the 60kph limit but also the timing line...whereas on the course you have to do the 90 left into 90 right Vale, followed by the long right of Club, before reaching the timing line.
Richard, I think the quick lap is a great example of how times can vary through external influences - a free and otherwise unhampered run behind a faster car is an interesting example of how one might get sucked in, in a positive way, to a faster time for a fairly simple reason.

As for the lap times when pitting - I seem to recall that the unusual arrangement at Donington, not never used, with the pit entrance just after the hairpin on the full GP circuit, was the basis of a fast lap by one A Senna at the only GP held there.

As I recall he went for the pits with people anticipating a tyre change but drove straight through.
Old 31 May 2017, 12:59 (Ref:3737681)   #19
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Well deserved GT,great to see you,as always.I am enjoying the new car,& getting used to what it can do.
Attached Thumbnails
012.jpg  
Old 31 May 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3737716)   #20
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Ridgard was great in a Camaro in Prodsaloons mid-70s. Same chap I guess