Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2761204)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
San Luis would be a great venue for an Argentinian Grand Prix
Please call it Potrero de los Funes, because there is an Autódromo Rosendo Hernández close to the city of San Luis.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2761213)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I'll confess to knowing diddly squat about NASCAR, but......
I'll confess to not wanting to know diddly squat about NASCAR, but........
Old 18 Sep 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2761300)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Diddly Squat! Wasn't he Dick Trickles team mate?
Old 18 Sep 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2761380)   #29
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think we need to worry about Austin actually happening, so that's back to 21-22 (Rome could be on for 2012, according to ESPN). Perhaps they'd have Valencia and Barcelona alternate the Spanish or something similar...assuming Magny-Cours actually get some money together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Diddly Squat! Wasn't he Dick Trickles team mate?
Yeah, they both drove for Ben Dover.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2762893)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well apaparently Bernie said yesterday that there will be no more than 20 races a season from 2011.

I find this a bit difficult to believe as there's a whole host of countries and venues either newly built or in construction that will be clamouring for a race (if they can stump up the licence fee)

Therefore if it's only going to be 20 rounds, a fair few current circuits are going to get bumped from the calendar surely?
Old 22 Sep 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2762925)   #31
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
What a convenient way for Bernie to keep his less favoured venues on their toes.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Nov 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2792048)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This shows viewing figures for "Abby Dabby": http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../11/11548.html

An average of 5.3 million viewers in the UK watched the season finale (I think that's an average figure, judging by the context of the rest of the article although I'm not sure), while TF1 got 4.4 million viewers (average?) with a peak of 5.6 million. It would be good to know if the French audience has been as strong throughout the year.

As the UK and France have similar populations, this shows a large Formula 1 fanbase in France. Why does it not have a Grand Prix?
Old 17 Nov 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2792062)   #33
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
. . . A 22 race calendar would be unsustainable (not just travel and possibly needing two race teams, but it would begin to smother other motorsport, which while in the interest of Bernie and his CVC handlers is not in the interests of the sport, which ought to be paramount but isn't with the current situation of having someone without motor racing as a whole's interest hawking the sport out to broadcasters and venues),. . .
If he's satisfied, then it would be a done deal. After all this is F1.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Nov 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2792063)   #34
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm, maybe the lack of French Drivers in F1 at the moment might have something to do with it.

I'd love to see a French Grand Prix back, at Paul Ricard not Magny Bores. But the Middle East and Far East are waving their money at Bernie.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2792163)   #35
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Ricard is a terribly terrible circuit. Back to Magny Cours again please, its a great circuit with a wide variety of corners and undulations. It just isnt possible to overtake, but then again, thats how it is for about 50% of the tracks on the calendar anyways
Old 17 Nov 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2792177)   #36
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always liked Magny-Cours well enough. Much more so than Bahrain, at any rate...

20 GPs in a year is a good number in my opinion, but a maximum of 25 could well be reached if the schedule were to be put together cleverly. The distance between a race in Belgium and another in The Netherlands need not be greater than the distance between two NASCAR events in the US, therefore the gap between them need not exceed a week.

The idea that France might come back but that it might not find space on the calendar prompts me to suggest once again my calendar-share idea. If the German tracks (Nurburgring, Hockenheimring) have been able to do it then so could the French, with any partner nation you like.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2792209)   #37
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Paul Ricard is a terribly terrible circuit. Back to Magny Cours again please, its a great circuit with a wide variety of corners and undulations. It just isnt possible to overtake, but then again, thats how it is for about 50% of the tracks on the calendar anyways
Ricard has always been a far better circuit for racing than Magny Cours....Bernie just left out the spectator facilities when he renovated it.

I'm sure his friend Mr Tilke, the famous F1 architect, could design a few suitable buildings to make it look more impressive and cater for a crowd of celebrities.
The real fans could watch the race on large monitors in a paddock across the road....
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2792213)   #38
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Could F1 ever go to the Bugatti Circuit at Le Mans?
Politics might get in the way of that one. The FIA and the ACO aren't the greatest of friends after the decapitation jobbie the FIA did on sportscars in the early 90s.

IMO they should stick some spectator facilities on Paul Ricard and use the configuration they used for LMS last year, it would be nice to have another low downforce track
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2792215)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Ricard has always been a far better circuit for racing than Magny Cours....Bernie just left out the spectator facilities when he renovated it.

I'm sure his friend Mr Tilke, the famous F1 architect, could design a few suitable buildings to make it look more impressive and cater for a crowd of celebrities.
The real fans could watch the race on large monitors in a paddock across the road....
Relating to something you mentioned in another thread, Ricard would also provide greater overtaking opportunities for the current breed of car than Magny Cours as well.

I know there's that hairpin at the end of the straight at the Nevers track but at Ricard, assuming they ran the full 4 mile odd version, you would have at least 3 spots by my reckoning?
Old 17 Nov 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2792223)   #40
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
paul ricard is entertaining the world series by renault in 2011, we'll see if they manage to get a decent sized crowd at that one and how the venue copes.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2792228)   #41
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'd take M-C it's better than nowhere. All this depends if there is a political will behind it. If there isn't it won't happen.

Oh and if they are ever thinking of designing a new spot can they not move away from Tilke a bit and get another wannabe track designer to get a look in?