Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Aug 2001, 17:22 (Ref:129742)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
My name is Debbi and I'm the grid girl for ....

First of all apologies to anyone actually called Debbi. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. I didn't mention this after Knockhill as I assumed it would be a one-off but we had a repeat at Croft and who knows we may get another repeat at Oulton Park so just to warn everyone.

Picture the scene, it's just before the Knockhill sprint race and the cars are about to form up on the grid. Radio TOCA's intrepid pit-lane reporter, let's call him Alan, decides to work his way down the grid talking to each grid girl in turn. Not as you may think some subtle ruse to meet and speak to the girls, which would of course be totally out of character for Alan, but the set up for a very elaborate gag. Approaching the first girl Alan asks who she is. "Hello, I'm Debbi and I'm the grid girl for Jason Plato" comes the reply. This continues down the grid until we get to the punchline, a slightly out-of-place looking grid girl who says in a rather gruff voice, "Hello, my name's John B&Q and I'm the grid er.. person for Joanne Clarke".

Ok, so you all know the story behind that but the funniest bit was not the punchline but the responses from some of the other girls. Asked who they were the grid girl for, 5 or 6 replied "the AA.com". This led to the second funniest bit of the day with Alan desperately trying to pad and hoping no one had noticed.

Wind the clock forward a few weeks and we are now at Croft. No John B&Q this time but 'Brad' and 'Ricardo', the grid blokes for Annie and Jo. So off sets Alan again. Knockhill was a bit spur of the moment but this time the girls would have been briefed and fully rehearsed, so surely nothing could go wrong, right? Err no. The very first conversation went something like this:

Alan : Hello, who are you ?
Grid Girl : My name is Debbi
Alan : And who are you representing ?
Grid Girl : R L Modelling Agency
Alan :

From there things got no easier. We had grid girls for Jason Plateau and Mark Le'murr to name but two. Working down the grid the air of desperation in Alan's voice became more and more pronounced. You could almost hear him thinking 'should I continue with this or jump in front of this oncoming car'. By the way Alan, when you make those little asides after each girl remember that the mic is still on

I suspect the chances are pretty remote but please can we have another repeat performance at Oulton, it was the funniest thing I heard all weekend. Who knows, third time lucky ?
Old 13 Aug 2001, 18:56 (Ref:129801)   #2
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And fourth time, and fifth! I'd go back if that B&Q bloke was around!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 21:39 (Ref:129923)   #3
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a couple of those remarks - coffee sometime, phone numbers - Alan - tut tut!!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 21:56 (Ref:129934)   #4
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hahahahaha!!!

ahhhhh I love it when a Pit Bimbo gets exposed for what she really is, hahaha!

If you go to the mb4u.com website they have a grid girls section there too and they all like "clubbing and going to the gym" and err...that's about it

How thrilling!

I look forward to the Pit Boys at Oulton park, yummmm!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 22:18 (Ref:129944)   #5
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rache! A woman after my own heart!

I was listening to Alan interviewing the girls from my pooter at home and the responses were pretty grim. It is shameless to think that they can't even bother to mention the name of the driver they are representing (but can remember the name of their modelling agency!) bother to find out how the driver's name is pronounced . I think by the pauses, some of them had to look at the sign they were holding to even mention the driver they were representing! SOMEBODY PLEASE TAKE MY SOAP BOX AWAY!

Now, has anyone got any pictures of those grid blokes seeing as I missed the meeting? I need to know what I should have been taking pictures of!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 22:19 (Ref:129945)   #6
Lorna
Veteran

Okay, in fairness, I should mention that some of them did an excellent job of saying the right words and getting the driver's name right!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 05:59 (Ref:130104)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
I wouldn't get too excited Lorna - they were not hunks! One was long haired the other hadn't shaved for a week. Neither was in shorts!!!

We wound up paul O'neill a treat. When we found out there was 2 guys we managed to persuade paul that the long haired chap was his grid guy. Oh his face - well worried especially as I wanted 'cuddly' pics of him and said hunk sitting on his knee!!

One of Annies female team members had asked last weeks guy how he waxed his legs - he had done a beautiful job

I have pics of the boys - when I get them back I'll scan them in.

Last edited by Les; 14 Aug 2001 at 06:01.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 15:44 (Ref:130352)   #8
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a representative of the gridpersons union "the Beneficial Union of Lovely Grid Employees" or B.U.L.G.E. I take great exception to some of the comments posted here!! It is a very difficult task indeed to get into those lycra suits, and even harder to get out! As far as remembering the drivers names goes, there have been some mornings this season when I couldn't remember my own name!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 21:24 (Ref:130517)   #9
Lorna
Veteran

Long hair can be cute. Stubble is cute. Beards not very cute at all. Curious.. can't wait to see the photo's Les.

lol! John! I just like to take this opportunity to thank you for starting off the grid boy craze. Now... can I choose the next grid boys to appear at Oulton? In fact, Joanna and I would make good judges after our conversation at Knockhill. And tight lycra shorts are definitely needed.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 22:53 (Ref:130545)   #10
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Long hair can be cute. Stubble is cute. Beards not very cute at all.
Thanks Lorna!
Old 15 Aug 2001, 12:15 (Ref:130727)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rikb, me old fella, your beard is delightful. i believe the beards in question weren't attached to people who had ample supplies of chocolate chip cookies
Old 15 Aug 2001, 19:06 (Ref:130898)   #12
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
umm so Redshoes - which one is Brad and which is Ricardo?
Attached Images

Old 15 Aug 2001, 19:10 (Ref:130899)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
personally I think Annie got the short end of the straw.
Attached Thumbnails
annie paul & aa.jpg  
Old 15 Aug 2001, 19:54 (Ref:130919)   #14
Lorna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RIKB

Thanks Lorna!
Lol! Of course you are the exception to the rule Rik! When are you appearing at a BTCC race meeting again?

Les - thank you very much for the photos, and I see what you mean! I am not impressed at all.

John! Who picked the guy for Joanna? Can I come next time and I'll pick one out (hehehe!)
Old 15 Aug 2001, 19:56 (Ref:130920)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ha ha the one on the right in the second pic looks like a hippy! Peace Man!
Old 15 Aug 2001, 20:24 (Ref:130934)   #16
Alan Hyde
Rookie

Alan Hyde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No title..........

No need..........
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan Hyde; 15 Aug 2001 at 20:29.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 21:13 (Ref:130969)   #17
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
What got me - where are the shorts? the lycra? the muscles??
Old 15 Aug 2001, 21:38 (Ref:130984)   #18
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
personally I think Annie got the short end of the straw.
Les, great picture you sent in mate, nice outfit shes wearing which really makes her "figure" curve in all the right places.Is her name melone by any chance!!
Old 15 Aug 2001, 22:39 (Ref:131009)   #19
Lorna
Veteran

lol! Al! That was a one exclusive show only! I think the driver he was representing wasn't impressed and tried to run him over
Old 16 Aug 2001, 09:12 (Ref:131165)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
urgh! are women supposed to be attracted to them?
(actually, the first one's cute)

not the last one, of course... talk about starting trends...
Old 16 Aug 2001, 21:28 (Ref:131438)   #21
Lorna
Veteran

Not too bad. Not quite my type though...
Old 17 Aug 2001, 15:42 (Ref:131740)   #22
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella,Lorna..........does this mean........choke, choke........that you are noy bowled over by my manly charms clad in Lycra? I'm devastated........and Alan Hyde, I'll get you for that!!!
Old 17 Aug 2001, 16:05 (Ref:131755)   #23
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehehe... Lollipops at dawn...

Now THAT would be pre-race entertainment - B&Q vs. Hyde - the Big Fight Live!

Old 17 Aug 2001, 21:57 (Ref:131946)   #24
Lorna
Veteran

John...... how can I put this..... personality is so much more important..... something I have failed to find in the 'other' grid boys.....

Oh, and add me to the hit list... (I know I shouldn't put a direct link in but John asked for it ) http://www.trackdates.com/photos/bandq/index.html

Last edited by Lorna; 17 Aug 2001 at 22:07.