Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3837858)   #1251
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Of course the TV people are constructing a narrative. But Alonso knows that. He is giving them their material. How is it helpful to the team to tell them mid-race that his car feels like it has a “GP2 engine” in it?
Old 21 Jul 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3837862)   #1252
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"GP2 engine" is just saying no power. Also depends on if the team asked Fernando anything. We often don't get the question, but only the drivers answer. F1 (maybe sport in general, I don't know as I don't follow other sports) is terrible for ignoring the question and taking the answer as a stand-alone statement. The TV director is no different.

If Fernando wants to take advantage of the TV directors access to a tool which is primarily used for the teams then that's up to him. But we see the same thing with Lewis only having messages played about he has no pace and no grip, or Stroll asking for help, or Vettel having a moan. For Alonso, they only play messages that are critical. Unless everyone on the grid is absolutely one-dimensional, then the TV director is "at it", as we'd say in the UK.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3837867)   #1253
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You also have to bear in mind that radio traffic is also filtered by the FIA and FOM before the director (under the direction of FOM) get to play any of it.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3837878)   #1254
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Chris Balfe's behavior looks like HE's the reincarnation of Dino Ferrari, guys.
He shows like that. But poor Dino, he must take care about that was shown sometime ago, because is his Warning.
Well, unfortunately, the Forum rules don't allow me to be more specific.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 00:53 (Ref:3837890)   #1255
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds70uk View Post
Agreed, he is still absolutely at the top of his game.
Like they had the best chassis last year....oh wait!
Old 22 Jul 2018, 01:09 (Ref:3837893)   #1256
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Like they had the best chassis last year....oh wait!
That has nothing to do with his driving ability, infact it confirms he is still up there.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3838689)   #1257
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That has nothing to do with his driving ability, infact it confirms he is still up there.
It seems Renault and Ferrari are doing fine without Alonso...

Maybe Alonso's apparent meddling in political and technical issues is not beneficial? For instance, it is supposed by some that Alonso pushed for a compact power unit in 2014 so Ferrari could focus on aero just as Red Bull had done so successfully -- which of course turned out to be entirely the wrong approach to the hybrid regulations.

McLaren were so disappointed with Alonso's meddling in politics the first time, that Alonso left the team at the time.... Else Alonso could have remained there with a competitive car.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3838710)   #1258
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It seems Renault and Ferrari are doing fine without Alonso...

Maybe Alonso's apparent meddling in political and technical issues is not beneficial? For instance, it is supposed by some that Alonso pushed for a compact power unit in 2014 so Ferrari could focus on aero just as Red Bull had done so successfully -- which of course turned out to be entirely the wrong approach to the hybrid regulations.

McLaren were so disappointed with Alonso's meddling in politics the first time, that Alonso left the team at the time.... Else Alonso could have remained there with a competitive car.
What has his apparent meddling in politics, got to do with his driving ability?
Old 25 Jul 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3838716)   #1259
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clutching at straws, I guess.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3838718)   #1260
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It has a bearing on his overall qualities as a racing driver. One of the things which made Schumacher, for example, so impressive was his ability to get on with the team leadership and motivate the whole garage to achieve the best results possible. I don’t see the Spaniard as a team player or an effective motivator.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3838729)   #1261
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso deliberately held up Hamilton at Hungary in 2007, was pleased to help drop his team in the mire over "spygate" the same year, became widely known as "Teflonso" after being the main beneficiary of Piquet Jr's crash at `Singapore in 2008 and being the only one who got away scot free. Goodness knows why McLaren had him back, he then was instrumental in souring the relationship with Honda and agitating for a move to Renault which then happened, losing McLaren "works" status for no real benefit. Real team player behaviour, that.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3838750)   #1262
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It has a bearing on his overall qualities as a racing driver. One of the things which made Schumacher, for example, so impressive was his ability to get on with the team leadership and motivate the whole garage to achieve the best results possible. I don’t see the Spaniard as a team player or an effective motivator.
For me, too complicated for my simple brain. A great driver is one who drives the socks off of any car he gets into; who wants to be fastest in every session and who won't settle for a position while there is any chance of nabbing the next one. I accept that getting the political game right with the team (and teammates) can make life a lot easier but I'm not that fussed with the concept of 'team players' or 'motivators' other than helping them to achieve the same selfish aims that every competitive driver has. For me, he's become a lost talent. He should be in a top car and I suspect that if he was, we wouldn't be having a two-way battle for the WDC.... Just my opinion, of course....
Old 25 Jul 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3838756)   #1263
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Alonso deliberately held up Hamilton at Hungary in 2007, was pleased to help drop his team in the mire over "spygate" the same year, became widely known as "Teflonso" after being the main beneficiary of Piquet Jr's crash at `Singapore in 2008 and being the only one who got away scot free. Goodness knows why McLaren had him back, he then was instrumental in souring the relationship with Honda and agitating for a move to Renault which then happened, losing McLaren "works" status for no real benefit. Real team player behaviour, that.
Watch out, my friend. Spygate, Spankgate, Singapurgate...
Old 25 Jul 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3838762)   #1264
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course people forget Hamilton didn't let Fred through at the beginning of Qualifying in Hungary in 07 like he was supposed to. Still, that just highlighted how ridiculous the fuel burning Q3 had become
Old 25 Jul 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3838801)   #1265
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
amazing to think people can't change over the course of a decade.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 00:55 (Ref:3838807)   #1266
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know, you have to ask McLaren why they dropped Alonso after 2007. You are saying they dropped Alonso because they didn't like his driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
For me, too complicated for my simple brain. A great driver is one who drives the socks off of any car he gets into; who wants to be fastest in every session and who won't settle for a position while there is any chance of nabbing the next one.
He is entitled to do that.

But McLaren felt compelled to sack him --- why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
He should be in a top car and I suspect that if he was, we wouldn't be having a two-way battle for the WDC.... Just my opinion, of course....
Alonso was dropped twice by top teams... One has to wonder WHY. They were clearly dissatisfied with something, if it wasn't his driving...
Old 26 Jul 2018, 00:59 (Ref:3838810)   #1267
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Of course people forget Hamilton didn't let Fred through at the beginning of Qualifying in Hungary in 07 like he was supposed to.
And so what? Alonso's job as a driver, is apparently, just to drive the socks off the car and nothing else. So if Hamilton gets better qualifying and pit strategies, then Alosno should drive better to make up for that, no?
Old 26 Jul 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3838830)   #1268
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
James Key is going to McLaren. Apparently.

Old 26 Jul 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3838838)   #1269
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And so what? Alonso's job as a driver, is apparently, just to drive the socks off the car and nothing else. So if Hamilton gets better qualifying and pit strategies, then Alosno should drive better to make up for that, no?
I'm just saying Hamilton wasn't innocent either. But thankfully we're unlikely to have that again thanks to the end of 'fuel burning'
Old 26 Jul 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3838850)   #1270
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep he is

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/901852...nical-director

Like I said before, the race is on to save the 2019 car and season via recruiting a well seasoned technical lead and significant name...….Key fits the bill perfect...….. as the 2018 car and season are already a waste of time and dead on its bum...….Its about time Key got a chance with a big team, I think he can turn it around, he has achieved great things with smaller teams, so he should thrive at McLaren

[/QUOTE]
Old 26 Jul 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3838854)   #1271
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Key is a good pick for McLaren, but the days of one-man silver bullets are over (unless you’re Adrian Newey). Lots of work to do.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3838855)   #1272
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
McLaren has just officially confirmed James Key's appointment.

Key is a well respected and talented engineer. Will he get the freedom to do what he feels is needed to turn the team around? Recent history says no. Interesting times ahead at McLaren.

Old 26 Jul 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3838862)   #1273
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't know, you have to ask McLaren why they dropped Alonso after 2007. You are saying they dropped Alonso because they didn't like his driving?
I didn't say they dropped Alonso because they didn't like his driving.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3838877)   #1274
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
McLaren has just officially confirmed James Key's appointment.
It's a great decision! Good job McLaren!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3838926)   #1275
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's a great decision! Good job McLaren!

mr Tost does not agree

https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status...66955448602625

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/901870...valid-contract