Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2018, 02:56 (Ref:3864903)   #1576
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Possibly.

I was talkin' more like he's simply had enough, period. No other reasons, causes or dislikes. Plain old tired of the routine is my thought.
Eighteen years, year in and year out, is quite a while to be doing anything....time to move on....maybe a simple change is the order of the day.
But...he still wants to race, hence the Triple Crown.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3864928)   #1577
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Or is it that he just wants to achieve?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3864964)   #1578
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quote:
"But...?" what? Yes, he still wants to race.

I keep cars five to seven years because I get what I like. I choose what I enjoy. I could keep them forever if I desired. So when I tire of one, I purchase another variety. Has nothing to do with my desire to drive.
I can eat chocolate ice cream days in a row because I like it. But when I tire of chocolate, I change flavour Why? Because I still like ice cream.

Perhaps he's just had enough (sometimes, enough is just enough) of the F1 scene. I guess I left that part out, eh? I was taught never to assume anything....

jimclark
Old 22 Nov 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3864985)   #1579
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Same here. If Racing Point Force India had been clever... it could have been a really interesting match. Meantime, Mr Alonso will drive WEC... and the Indy 500... and maybe NASCAR road races...
Wow, this is a good idea and got me thinking how cool it would have been. Daddy stroll could have asked him to be lance's mentor, sharing everything with him and lance share everything with Alonso, much like the indycar environment he enjoyed. With more cash, and a top driver, maybe force india could have begun nipping at the heels of the top 3. And part of the deal could have been if he wasn't in championship contention, they field a car for both drivers for Indy 500 and some other select races Alonso was interested in. Lance and Alonso could have been a package deal for a le mans drive too. Would have been quite beneficial for lance, even if he was beaten bad by Alonso for 2 years. After the 2 years, lance would still only be like 22, with a whole lot more knowledge, and well rounded experience under his belt. (It's fun spending daddy strolls money, haha).
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3864990)   #1580
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Or is it that he just wants to achieve?
Without doubt he wants to achieve and he has to race in order to fulfill the achievement.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3864993)   #1581
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Love the one off livery they are running
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3865004)   #1582
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
"But...?" what? Yes, he still wants to race.

I keep cars five to seven years because I get what I like. I choose what I enjoy. I could keep them forever if I desired. So when I tire of one, I purchase another variety. Has nothing to do with my desire to drive.
I can eat chocolate ice cream days in a row because I like it. But when I tire of chocolate, I change flavour Why? Because I still like ice cream.

Perhaps he's just had enough (sometimes, enough is just enough) of the F1 scene. I guess I left that part out, eh? I was taught never to assume anything....
Of course it has something to do with your desire to drive. If it wasn't, why when you tired of one of your other cars, did you purchase another variety of car, because you didn't want to drive it?

As for the ice cream analogy, of course you still like ice cream, you just want a different flavour, after having eaten chocolate flavoured ice cream for days in a row.

So applying either scenario to Alonso, perhaps he's just had enough of the F1 scene and wants to race in something else.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3865012)   #1583
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or perhaps he likes ice cream? Am I doing this right?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3865015)   #1584
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Or perhaps he likes ice cream? Am I doing this right?
I think so.

Kimi likes ice cream but I don't know if Alonso does. Though with Chandon sponsoring McLaren, maybe Alonso has acquired a taste for Champagne Sorbets?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3865093)   #1585
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So applying either scenario to Alonso, perhaps he's just had enough of the F1 scene and wants to race in something else.
Yeah. Like I said back in 1571.

Quote:
And maybe, just maybe, he's just had enough. It happens, ya' know....

jimclark
Old 23 Nov 2018, 00:33 (Ref:3865125)   #1586
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Like I said back in 1576. Didn't Columbus sail the ocean blue, back in 1492?
Old 23 Nov 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3865133)   #1587
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Goodness, I knew you were old, but not that old!
Old 23 Nov 2018, 02:24 (Ref:3865155)   #1588
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Goodness, I knew you were old, but not that old!
Q: ?

A:

jimclark
Old 23 Nov 2018, 02:26 (Ref:3865157)   #1589
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Q: ?

A:

Old 25 Nov 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3865710)   #1590
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Possibly.

I was talkin' more like he's simply had enough, period. No other reasons, causes or dislikes. Plain old tired of the routine is my thought.
Eighteen years, year in and year out, is quite a while to be doing anything....time to move on....maybe a simple change is the order of the day.
Surely it has more to do with Mercedes and Ferrari rejecting Alonso, than Alonso rejecting F1!
Old 25 Nov 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3865734)   #1591
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Surely it has more to do with Mercedes and Ferrari rejecting Alonso, than Alonso rejecting F1!
So, all the other teams rejected him also? You didn't mention them. I would think ('do think, actually) someone like Williams (let alone McLaren) would welcome him with open arms.....

I found his entry to the full season of FIA/WEC quite telling (unrest), myself...

Last edited by jimclark; 25 Nov 2018 at 13:46.

jimclark
Old 25 Nov 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3865773)   #1592
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There was just no room for him there. The teams didn’t want to sacrifice their drivers for him for some reason
Old 25 Dec 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3872355)   #1593
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Oh so much optimism!

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...return-rumours

Rumours McLaren trying to arrange seat time for Fred in 2019 with a view to him returning in 2020.

Let us hope their optimism is well based.

Interesting to note the discrepancies between the wind tunnel and reality, and running tests in practice.
Old 25 Dec 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3872359)   #1594
S griffin
Veteran

I think they could do a lot worse than use him for development on the car
Old 25 Dec 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3872373)   #1595
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think they could do a lot worse than use him for development on the car
Yeah, I guess so since he was so successful doing so (if he was the developer) the past two years.

I've mentioned it before and here I go again....good race drivers don't necessarily make good test drivers and vice-versa.

jimclark
Old 26 Dec 2018, 00:21 (Ref:3872385)   #1596
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yeah, I guess so since he was so successful doing so (if he was the developer) the past two years.

I've mentioned it before and here I go again....good race drivers don't necessarily make good test drivers and vice-versa.
Luca Badoer, great test driver apparently, but
Old 26 Dec 2018, 00:54 (Ref:3872390)   #1597
jimclark
Veteran

United States

jimclark
Old 26 Dec 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3872393)   #1598
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or even I think Michael Schumacher. If I remember correctly, the guy could drive around handling problems so well that it was quite difficult to cure them. Ferrari only really took off once Barrichello got there. Apparently he was really good at setting up the car and testing.
Old 26 Dec 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3872400)   #1599
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
They need a massive improvement just to get to the back of the midfeild runners.
Old 26 Dec 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3872437)   #1600
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
They need a massive improvement just to get to the back of the midfeild runners.
Sauber proved in 2018 that it's not impossible.